Community discussions

MikroTik App

vdrag
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsMAN with Captive Portal (Hotspot) for CAPs across multiple vlans/subnets

Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Greetings.

I wish to know if it is possible to setup one CAPsMAN for managing multiple CAPs from multiple vlans/subnets with the use of a Captive Portal.

Every guide/video/topic i could find seem to assume that CAPsMAN and CAPs are in the same L2 segment and I don't seem to be able to find any good information for my type of network setup, not even a clear "no you cannot do that" answer. I attach a sketch with an example network setup to provide the necessary information. Any help (in the form of either general guidelines or specific setup or an explanation of why it is not possible) would be much appreciated.

My personal understanding is that, for the Captive Portal setup to work, the CAPs and the CAPsMAN must be in the same VLAN/Subnet, using CAPsMAN forwarding and not local forwarding, because the Captive Portal works with firewall rules that are applied in CAPsMAN so there must be L2 connectivity between the client devices and CAPsMAN (with CAPsMAN being the gateway) for those rules to be applied. However, i would be very happy if i am wrong here because i do not wish to create a separate vlan which spans throughout all sites, just to reach Captive Portal using L2 communication from everywhere.

Every subnet runs a local DHCP server for the corresponding client devices subnets. Those subnets are not depicted in the attached photo, but they could be any subnet that suits our needs, even the CAP Management subnets (192.168.x.0/24). There is full L3 connectivity between sites with the use of static routes.

Here is my network:

CAPsMAN-Network.png

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

redfish1
just joined

Re: CAPsMAN with Captive Portal (Hotspot) for CAPs across multiple vlans/subnets

Mon May 29, 2023 9:10 am

Hello to everybody,
very very interesting questsion, I would like to expand. I have a big proberty, and I am using mikrotik Caps (3 AP) to have wlan everywhere.
The next projekt is, that the beer garden of my wife, need to get wlan. So I would like to have a hotspot put ontop of the capsmanager, but the question ist how.
I have read that "create hotspot on capsmann, with capsman bridge as hotspot interface, but sofare I dont have the squence of events in my mind. Maybe somebody you help me out!!

Have a nice day everybody!!!