Community discussions

MikroTik App

NiiBird
just joined
Topic Author

CAp Ac firmware upgrade.

Mon May 29, 2023 12:30 am

Guys, there was a problem updating HAP AC. When downloading the firmware from the official site, its name looks like this: routeros-7.9.1-arm
And when i try to update it in capsman, the HAP AC asks for the firmware file: routeros-arm-7.9.1
Are they the same files? Can I just rename it and update?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAp Ac firmware upgrade.

Mon May 29, 2023 3:33 pm

It does seem that main package file name changed from "routeros-<architecture>-<version>.npk" to "routeros-<version>-<architecture>.npk" ... and older ROS of course expects to find upgrade package with name conforming to older naming convention.

How do you try to upgrade and from which version?

I guess that if you simply drop the npk file to device, it'll just pick the file and try to install it (I never actually tried to upgrade v6 device to v7 in this way, I'm always performing netinstall due to various reasons). But if it's looking for the file on some remote server (either through /system/package/upgrade or with CAPsMAN-hosted package files), then naming convention does matter.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAp Ac firmware upgrade.

Mon May 29, 2023 3:41 pm

There was indeed a time when someone had the smart idea to change the naming convention.
Instead of simply using a soft-link or so. That path has been left, no way to return there.

Dropping the file on the device should be enough and then reboot (I've done it plenty of times).
Since ROS7 is a bundled version, there is no chance of forgetting e.g. wireless :lol:
But netinstall would indeed be a better option for future avoidance of possible problems (it is known that _sometimes_ leftovers from ROS6-settings can cause problems later on when moving to ROS7)