Community discussions

MikroTik App

nishtown
just joined
Topic Author

SWOS Backups

Tue May 23, 2023 9:59 am

Hi All,
Has anyone had any experience with swos backups rebooting the device when a backup is performed, it then failed to generate the backup you then have to refresh the url for it to generate the backup file?

we use SWOS on CRS326-24G-2S+RM as i find the vlan management\implementation better for a product switch environment.
I want to do regular backups but taking the environment offline for even a few minutes is risky to automate due to paranoia of it not coming back up :P

additionally, i have found recently when adding new vlans the switches randomly just dump a number of vlans at the bottom of the list requiring the switch to be rebooted and the vlans all re-added manually.

just seeing if this is a common experience people have and if anyone knows a way around it..

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SWOS Backups

Tue May 23, 2023 8:20 pm

I have one CRS326-24G-2S+RM that is running SwitchOS 2.13 and three CSS326-24G-2S+RM that are also running SwitchOS 2.13 (plus a couple smaller switches). I have never experienced a problem with performing (or restoring) SwitchOS backup files on any of them. I generally do perform a backup any time I make any changes. The CRS326 is at a mountain top radio site so it would cause me concern if a backup was not seamless every time. In case it matters, I normally am using Firefox as my web browser and running from a Windows 10 desktop or occasionally a Windows Server Essentials 2019 server as the computer. In both cases, the computer is not on the same LAN as management LAN for the switch - in other words I am going through a router to get to the switch (via a VLAN trunk port).

As for your VLANs dropping, I have not seen that. How many VLANs do you have on this switch? I think my max is about 20.

we use SWOS on CRS326-24G-2S+RM as i find the vlan management\implementation better for a product switch environment.

Same here. I know it has some limitations, but I really like SwitchOS for managing a switch. It's simple and it works. I am exclusively using routers as routers and all switch function is done in the switches.

nishtown
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 24, 2023 9:02 am

I have one CRS326-24G-2S+RM that is running SwitchOS 2.13 and three CSS326-24G-2S+RM that are also running SwitchOS 2.13 (plus a couple smaller switches). I have never experienced a problem with performing (or restoring) SwitchOS backup files on any of them. I generally do perform a backup any time I make any changes. The CRS326 is at a mountain top radio site so it would cause me concern if a backup was not seamless every time. In case it matters, I normally am using Firefox as my web browser and running from a Windows 10 desktop or occasionally a Windows Server Essentials 2019 server as the computer. In both cases, the computer is not on the same LAN as management LAN for the switch - in other words I am going through a router to get to the switch (via a VLAN trunk port).
We are running 2.7. I have used a variety of different browsers seen no difference unfortunately. If it was happening to just 1 unit i wouldnt think anything of it but it definitely happens to at least 4 of them.
As for your VLANs dropping, I have not seen that. How many VLANs do you have on this switch? I think my max is about 20.
We have easily a good 60-80 vlans. We use a single vlan per client.

my theory is potentially when its trying to convert the config into memory or something like that it errors out.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 24, 2023 5:28 pm

2.7 is ancient. There is a very old bug that took years to isolate because it was so rare. I don't remember if that bug existed in 2.7.

I would update at least some of the troublesome switches to 2.13 and try to see if the problem still exists.

We have easily a good 60-80 vlans.

I'm using mine at home - don't need THAT many VLANs :D

nishtown
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 30, 2023 4:23 am

2.7 is ancient. There is a very old bug that took years to isolate because it was so rare. I don't remember if that bug existed in 2.7.

I would update at least some of the troublesome switches to 2.13 and try to see if the problem still exists.

Wont lie.. i for some reason was reading 2.13 as if it was 2.1.3 so i was thinking i was ahead :lol:

ill get them updated and monitor

Thank you!