Community discussions

MikroTik App

webequipped
just joined
Topic Author

Help Desk support.

Tue May 30, 2023 8:18 pm

------------------------- Last week I sent this email to Support: --------------------------------------------
Good day,

I am forwarding this purchase order to you as a matter of record for support of the CRS310 I purchased from Multilink Solutions.

I attempted to upgrade this unit to ROS 7.9.1. The unit sat for over 15 minutes after I had initiated the download and install from WinBox. As this unit is a production unit, I went over to it and pulled the power as it would not come back online. The only ports in use at the time where the SPF ports which after the hard boot no longer light up. After attempting to access the unit from the ethernet port, without success, I was forced to shut it down again and pull it out of service.

Getting it down to my lab I decided to get NetInstall fired up and see if I couldn't get it to write a new image to the system.

Oh, I guess I should mention the obvious, I did reset the unit before I attempted to connect with NetInstall. Also, I have used NetInstall many many times so I am skilled at preforming this task correctly. Note, just for grins I did what Oskars video to see if I could glean any new information on using NetInstall, alas there was nothing new or different.

After successfully connecting to the CRS310 with NetInstall, it would not copy and install the stable npk. The NetInstall interface shows the CRS310 in the Router/Drives list and shows the MAC address of that eth port that I am connected to, however every time I initiate the install button it runs for close to 20-30 seconds and then stops. The progress bar never turns blue showing the progress and the unit never reboots after NetInstall stops.

<the inserted image basically showed the router/drives window listing the CRS310 with it's MAC and the status of installing>

Besides the image above, I took a movie of the screen with NetInstall running if you want I can send that along in a zip file so you can see what I am talking about first hand. Just let me know where to send it or upload it.

At this point I am stuck, so I am requesting an RMA or an exchange.

Thank you,

----------------------------TODAY I got this reply: ----------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting MikroTik support.

Please follow the steps below using different booters:

1. Utilize the regular booter by navigating to System > Routerboard > Settings > Boot Device. Select "try-ethernet-once-then-nand" and proceed to reboot the device.
2. Employ the backup booter. Keep holding the Reset button and Power On the device for 5 more seconds until LED turns off, then release it to make the RouterBOARD look for Netinstall servers.

For more detailed instructions on the Main and Backup uploaders, please refer to the following link: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... kuploaders

Remember to disable all network interfaces except for the one being used for Netinstall.

Try the Netinstall utility version 7.10rc1 Testing to reinstall the device.
Or try Netinstall in Linux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiVwzHwQq_Y

If you do not succeed, try Netinstall version 6.48.6 and make sure that your Netinstall and computer configuration fits these prerequisites: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
It is possible to install RouterOS version 7 with Netinstall version 6.

If you are sure that all prerequisites are met but you still can not detect any RouterBOARD in Netinstall, please share screenshots showing your computer and Netinstall configurations.
Additionally, provide a basic network diagram illustrating the connection between the router and your computer during the Netinstall procedure.

Furthermore, kindly include the complete serial console output either as a text file or as an uploaded image. Make sure to capture the output while using the Regular booter and, if unsuccessful, the backup booter.

Best regards

------------------ My comment: ------------------------------------------------

How RUDE, DISCURAGING and IRRISPONSIBLE. Is this how you plan on keeping my business? I have been using Mikrotik product for dam nearly 15 years now, NEVER have I had this type of terrible response to an email. I am completely offended!

Did you bother to read my email? Or are you one of those deewebs that just looks at the proceedures manaul and follows through blindly?

The instructions you sent are STUPID, BLIND and POINTLESS! I was very clear in my email that it is IMPOSSIBLE to access that router and the # 1. item in your email tells me to go and change a setting on a router that is impossible to access? WTF!!!

If you worked for me you would be fired TODAY!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help Desk support.

Tue May 30, 2023 8:50 pm

Feeling better now ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 9:11 pm

If you worked for me you would be fired TODAY!
With me you would not have run that risk, I would never have hired you...

How the hell did you come up with the idea of upgrading a production device?

Those peripherals must be NOT updated IN PRODUCTION, they are replaced with already updated devices,
then, once replaced and everything works for at least a week, they are updated for replace another device (and so on), or keeped for backup.

And then the first one you need to ask for help is your distributor who sold it to you, MikroTik doesn't sell them to you directly and they don't make the RMAs.
Last edited by rextended on Tue May 30, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 9:13 pm

But if you worked for me, I wouldn't even hire you...
Too late then. You already hired him if he works for you :lol:

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 pm

Uhm.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The translator....
I know English as the @webequipped knows how to manage peripherals in production...

Now is more appropriate, I think.....

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 9:27 pm

Synthesis:
User @webequipped wanted to vent on the forum for his mistakes,
because certainly it wasn't anyone of the MikroTik Staff who forced him to update a machine in production without the DUE precautions.
Instead of putting the MikroTik Staff in a bad light, he clearly manifested his ignorance in the updating processes of production machines and that he does not even know who to do the RMA, given that he did not buy the product directly from MikroTik , but obviously to a distributor, who also had the kind idea to write it.
If I were the distributor, I would sue him because it is bad publicity for my brand, because apparently it seems that the distributor, who should have been contacted immediately, first of all, didn't care about the customer's problems.
But someone who works should know who to do the RMA...

Also, on the ticket are missing some BASIC info, like the precise CRS310 model, the previous RouterOS version, RouterBOOT current version, factory RouterBOOT version, factory RouterOS version, if protected-routerboot is enabled, bad sectors before the update, installed packages, active and inactive packages, etc.
which obviously stimulate the copy & paste response when a ticket is created with very little information.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 am

Probably looking for Netinstall PTSD compensation. :-)

We should send him a PTSD companion cat from Italy, it really helps.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 6:13 am

try using a dumb switch between your PC and the MikroTik you want to do netinstall procedure, in some cases that helps

sometimes netinstall is a matter of pacience but well rewarded with the recovery of a device

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 7:45 am

Other option
I had far more success using netinstall on Linux then Windows.
For both, make sure no other network devices are active except the ether port connected to device or switch.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 10:34 am

Come on, do you give any advice to this great expert?
You risk offending him too, beyond the answer of the MikroTik Staff... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, I have used NetInstall many many times so I am skilled at preforming this task correctly.
Note, just for grins I did what Oskars video to see if I could glean any new information on using NetInstall, alas there was nothing new or different.

P.S.: @anav, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder???

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 1:06 pm

Every respectable MikroTik client knows that upgrades are done with spares at hand and on the premises, not remotely, else there be dragons.
Oh yeah, and that spare updated already.
Shame on you.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 2:12 pm

P.S.: @anav, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder???
[/quote]
Yes, also very common when only allowed to use one eye.........

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 31, 2023 2:48 pm

@webequipped
I understand how you feel ... :(

Did you buy MikroTik because the product provided great features at a very inexpensive price compared to the big boys in this industry? If the answer is yes then you have to expect failure because the components used are very cheap throughout ... persistent reliability is a hit and miss preposition so I for one would never use Tik product in Enterprise environment or in environments with mission critical requirements. Where its not mission critical and for the SMB, SOHO and for residential usage its certainly passable for as long as one fully understand the all the risks. Having a standby fully tested is always a very good practice - YES it raises the cost equation significantly but reputation is very easily lost is it not? :D

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 3:04 pm

:lol: hilarious @mozerd, just hilarious.
You know nothing about components, dear @mozerd. You can't even read labels, you've ordered the wrong switch for your customer: viewtopic.php?t=173628
And even with the switch in your hands you were clueless why it has no PoE when it was clearly the non-PoE version.
And now you talk about components quality..
Just.. :lol:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 3:52 pm

Well to err is human dear znevna666 ;-P

But I have not heard nor experienced of component failure issues with MT equipment and thus that is part of the post I will question.....