Community discussions

MikroTik App

stevedh
just joined
Topic Author

WifiWave2 debug logging and strange iot issue

Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:50 pm

I am trying to diagnose a strange wifi issue on a HapAx2 which uses Wifi Wave 2.
I can only get info level debugging which isn't particularly helpful.
with just debug logging enabled I get no wifi logging at all.

I have set up logging like this to try and get the wifi debug log.

[admin@MikroTik] /system/logging> print
Flags: X, I - INVALID; * - DEFAULT
Columns: TOPICS, ACTION
#    TOPICS    ACTION
0 X* !info     memory
1  * error     memory
2  * warning   memory
3  * critical  echo  
4    wireless  memory
     info            
5    wireless  memory
     debug

The problem is with a cheap Chinese tuya smart thermostat.

It looks like it connects ok to the Wifi but is never given an ip address.. and nothing shows up in the DHCP log.
all other devices using the same 2.5ghz wifi connect fine, including some tuya smart bulbs.

the only wifi messages I get are.
11:13:46 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -28
11:14:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -29
11:14:46 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -29
11:15:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -30
11:15:46 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -29
11:16:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -28
11:16:46 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -29
11:17:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -30
Again Nothing relating to this device shows up in any other logs including DHCP (when enabled).
If I change the Wifi password so that it isn't what the IOT device expects I get
11:21:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -28
11:21:48 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -30
11:22:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -30
11:22:48 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -29
What is strange is that. This is at my daughters flat.
I set it up using the Mikrotik at my house and it connected and worked fine.
Whenever she tries to link this tuya smart device it times out trying to link, so the above is with it pre linked at my house.
She has a load of smart light bulbs which work fine without any issues.

Hopefully with a better debug log I can work out exactly what is happening.
also any thoughts on any thing else I can try to diagnose this issue gratefully accepted.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WifiWave2 debug logging and strange iot issue

Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:13 pm

Signal strength, mentioned in logs, is very high. I wouldn't be surprised if it too high for that smart thermostat. Try to get that signal level lower, e.g. by increasing distance between AP and station. Or, if that's not an option, by wrapping thermostat in aluminium foil. Aim for signal strength of around -50dBm.

If you can get the station to stay connected, then you can check the signal level in wireless registration table.

stevedh
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:56 pm

Thanks
Ok not quite -50 but not too far off.
BTW on the registration table It stays connected for exactly 56 seconds then reconnects again exactly 1 minute after it previously connected.
but it is never shows up in the DHCP Server Leases Table and is never given an ip address.

19:28:45 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -58
19:29:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -57
19:29:45 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -60
19:30:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -59
19:30:45 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -58
19:31:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -59
19:31:45 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 connected, signal strength -59
19:32:42 wireless,info XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:B1@wifi2G1 disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -60

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:24 pm

How are security settings configured? It could be that offending client doesn't like WPA3 in general ... or one of gcmp ciphers. I have one Nokia mobile which would cycle through (not) registering until I disabled gcmp ciphers.

stevedh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:04 pm

Thanks, I had already played with that.
It was now just WPA2 PSK and CCMP

Sadly its battery has now run out and it will be a few days before anyone is there to change the batteries. Under normal circumstances the batteries last months, but with it being unable to connect they now only last just a couple of days.

What would REALLY HELP would be some decent wifi debug logs so that I could see what is actually happening, but for some reason I cant enable anything beyond info for wifi. Any idea if this is a limitation of WifiWave2 or is there something I am doing wrong.

The strange thing is. I decided to upgrade my Daughters router as the one she was given was rubbish and we wanted to setup a lan to lan vpn.
We had the same problems (although no logs at all) on her previous router, the device would connect fine here, but not at her flat.
I setup the mikrotik here, and had no problems connecting the iot device to the mikrotik while in my house.
However once moved and installed in her flat.. no joy.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:58 pm

However once moved and installed in her flat.. no joy.
What else changed (besides the environment)? AP model, ROS version, exact wireless setup?

stevedh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Thanks
About the only thing that changed was WAN ip address and the environment.
Both are connected to Virgin internet via virgin Hub set to modem mode.

Setup hAP ax² here.
Connected to my Virgin Hub... worked fine.
Moved to the flat, connected to Daughters Virgin Hub ... didn't work.

Since the initial try I have muddied the waters though playing with thehAP ax²'s settings.

I assume you know of no way to get debug wifi logging working with the latest WifiWave2.

Anyway sort of on hold until the end of the week now :(

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:29 am

One thing, that might be relevant or not: if you changed any of security settings on hAP ax2, then client might or might not be able to connect. So you may have to remove wireless profile from client (i.e. reset wireless settings and re-associate).
When I played with a Nokia phone, which doesn't like gcmp, I had to remove wireless profile from phone after I changed security profile on my wave2 AP ... or else phone wouldn't connect. The funny thing is that I have other APs with same SSID and same PSK, but those don't support WPA3 ... and phone was happily connecting to those APs even before I removed the profile from phone. So there are definitely dark forces around us :wink:

eazysnatch
just joined

Wed May 17, 2023 5:44 pm

Hardware:
HAP AX3 - C53UiG+5HPaxD2HPaxD
Firmware type: ipq6000
Current firmware: 7.9
Upgrade firmware: 7.10beta5

System version: 7.10beta5

Today without any reason working as a charm for weeks. Just like that, I lost Wifi on my laptop using AX (5.0 ) , and all my smart devices running on N ( 2.4 ) lost their connection also. There was no changes at all.

As you can see one device now have the problem but before upgrading to lastest development version it was all devices laptop, phone + all smart devices. I was able to see how they are trying to connect and disconnect immediatly in Web > wireless > Registration

Fix was to upgrade to 7.10beta5. Maybe a reboot may fix it and maybe the upgrade reboot fix it but if thats true its a temporary thing.

Not sure what cause it but its just.

As you can see im playing with the Wifi to make it work stable and with a good range. I didnt have any problems with my good old HAP ac - ( its not ever 2 or 3 ). I upgrade without any reason and now i suffer (:
[vhristev@MikroTik] /interface/wifiwave2> print  detail
Flags: M - master; D - dynamic; B - bound; X - disabled, I - inactive, R - running
 0 M B  default-name="wifi1" name="g1r5-ax" mac-address=48:A9:8A:4A:CF:13 arp-timeout=auto radio-mac=48:A9:8A:4A:CF:13
        configuration.mode=ap .ssid="g1r5-ax" .country=United States
        security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk .passphrase="XXXXXXX"
        channel.band=5ghz-ax .width=20/40/80mhz .skip-dfs-channels=disabled

1 M BR default-name="wifi2" name="g1r5-n" mac-address=48:A9:8A:4A:CF:14 arp-timeout=auto radio-mac=48:A9:8A:4A:CF:14
        configuration.mode=ap .ssid="g1r5-n" .country=Bulgaria
        security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk .passphrase="XXXXXXXX"
        channel.band=2ghz-n .width=20/40mhz-Ce .skip-dfs-channels=all

17:04:50 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -41
 17:04:52 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n connected, signal strength -42
 17:04:58 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -41
 17:05:00 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n connected, signal strength -42
 17:05:08 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n disconnected, connection lost, signal strength -43
 17:05:08 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n connected, signal strength -42
 17:05:15 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -41
 17:05:17 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n connected, signal strength -42
 17:05:23 wireless,info 24:6F:28:79:3F:B4@g1r5-n disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -41

SnappR
just joined

Sat May 20, 2023 5:38 pm

Hey,

I've run into similar issues randomly too.
Certain devices got disconnected, and can't reconnect with the same error :
disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -XX
This happened with my hap AX2, ROS/wifiwave2: 7.9

Apparently rebooting the device fixes the issue, but I'm worried it will randomly happen again.
Do you find any permanent fix for this? does using 7.10beta5 really solve this problem?

nexusds

Sun May 28, 2023 5:07 am

try using 7.8

SnappR
just joined

Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 am

I'm so confused, the 7.9 shows the fix for this issue (probably this) :
https://mikrotik.com/download/changelogs
*) wifiwave2 - fixed key handshake timeout for re-associating client devices on 802.11ac interfaces; 
but It still happens..

try using 7.8
do you have a similar issue and tested 7.8?
I don't think downgrading is a good idea unless you started there and the problem exists after upgrading.

nexusds

Tue May 30, 2023 7:05 am

*) wifiwave2 - fixed key handshake timeout for re-associating client devices on 802.11ac interfaces; 
but It still happens..

try using 7.8
do you have a similar issue and tested 7.8?
I don't think downgrading is a good idea unless you started there and the problem exists after upgrading.
Ive been testing all different versions and 7.8 is the most highest version stable with regards to this issue for us.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2023 8:31 am

but It still happens..

According tho your post #10 above you're using hAP ax2 while change log explicitly mentions ac interfaces (I'm assuming this is about the HW capability, i.e. radio, not about the setup). Notice the difference?

SnappR
just joined

Wed May 31, 2023 3:29 pm

Ive been testing all different versions and 7.8 is the most highest version stable with regards to this issue for us.
I've emailed mikrotik support and they suggest me to try and install 7.10rc1, so maybe I'll try it first.. thanks for the feedback tho~

According tho your post #10 above you're using hAP ax2 while change log explicitly mentions ac interfaces (I'm assuming this is about the HW capability, i.e. radio, not about the setup). Notice the difference?
yeah I know that my router/AP is AX and the changelog mentioned AC, I know the difference but.. which one in that changelog refers to? the AP device or the Client device?
maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, pardon me.. english is not my primary language~

the Issue I have is with some(not all) devices with 802.11ac on the client side.
the thing is 802.11ax is backward compatible so there should not be a problem as long as you Installed the correct driver/AX support driver (not all devices need this AFAIK) on the client side.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 31, 2023 3:51 pm

There are some AC wifi devices (AC3, Audience, ...) which can also use the wifiwave2 package.
That change log was directed towards those devices.

You should not do anything on the client devices to have them connected to AX AP.
It should just work (unless you use settings which are incompatible like setting UNII-4 frequency with devices which do not support that range, or WPA3, or ... :lol: ).

nexusds

Wed May 31, 2023 8:09 pm

I've emailed mikrotik support and they suggest me to try and install 7.10rc1, so maybe I'll try it first.. thanks for the feedback tho~

yeah I know that my router/AP is AX and the changelog mentioned AC, I know the difference but.. which one in that changelog refers to? the AP device or the Client device?
maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, pardon me.. english is not my primary language~

the Issue I have is with some(not all) devices with 802.11ac on the client side.
the thing is 802.11ax is backward compatible so there should not be a problem as long as you Installed the correct driver/AX support driver (not all devices need this AFAIK) on the client side.
I have had same issue with 7.10rc1 once so far and still testing. I notice that when it is occurring and you look at it status and try to disable/enable the interface it stuck on stopping. only a reboot fixes issue (or stay with 7.8)

NeCoRo
just joined

Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:16 am

I have had same issue with 7.10rc1 once so far and still testing. I notice that when it is occurring and you look at it status and try to disable/enable the interface it stuck on stopping. only a reboot fixes issue (or stay with 7.8 )
7.10 The same issue ((. Only reboot each 3-4 days helps me

Ziggi
just joined

Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:50 pm

After changing wifi device to mikrotik I set the same SSID on it and have the same issue with part of tuya devices... It seems tuya remember associated MAC for that SSID or so... just change the SSID on mikrotik to the new one fix the issue with my tuya devices. But all of them should be reregistered.