MikroTik App

hprj
just joined
Topic Author

HELP! - Slow Speed on USB Tethering With 5G Phone

Sun May 28, 2023 8:08 am

Hello
I have a weird problem i am using 750gr3 with 5g phone USB tethering

I am Getting 800mbps+ on phone directly and 350mbps+ while using it with Desktop via usb2.0 Tethering.But When i connect my phone to my 750gr3 router via USB Tethering i get only 3-4 Mbps only.
i tried with Hacking TTL to use LTE Tethering tutorial on YouTube by Mikrotik Official channel but nothing changed after these settings. i feel i forget something while configuration..

Can someone help me to get the full throughput ??

Thank you

hprj
just joined
Topic Author

Re: HELP! - Slow Speed on USB Tethering With 5G Phone

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:11 am

5G is being started everywhere.so lot of people will want to go with Tethering with phone because 5G Device router is double triple costly than a 5G phone.
Still there is no response.This is shocking....

I requested the all forum user to guide me a little.

A Little help would be appreciated

Thank you

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:12 am

If your desktop tethering is seeing 350Mb/s, then the TTL trick isn't needed... The hEX is not the fastest device these days, but should be able to do 100+Mb/s at least with LTE

You might try changing the MTU of the LTE interface to 1420 from 1500, and try your test again.

hprj
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:43 pm

If your desktop tethering is seeing 350Mb/s, then the TTL trick isn't needed... The hEX is not the fastest device these days, but should be able to do 100+Mb/s at least with LTE

You might try changing the MTU of the LTE interface to 1420 from 1500, and try your test again.
Hello Thanx for Reply
i am also expecting at-least 80-90Mbps ,i tried with MTU changed to 1420 but no success still getting 3-4 Mbps.
I dont know why this happen why the desktop getting that much speed and routers and firewall not?

changed TTL changed MTU Also tried with Hex S but speed not increasing more than 5Mbps......

Any Other Idea??

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:56 pm

Yeah I don't think it's hEX CPU either, it can do more than 3Mb/s ;).

Are you setting the APN to something specific, or is "Use Network APN" checked? You should make sure your APN is set to correctly for your carrier. If "Use Network APN" is checked... it's possible that the Mikrotik is using a different APN than than main/customer APN (e.g. some "admin" ones for stuff like over-the-air modem firmware, which might be slower than the "real" APN). And, Windows may be smart about setting this based on carrier...but the Mikrotik looks at the SIM card, or what's set in the APN profile (if Use Network APN is uncheck).

If that doesn't work...
It a bit more complex, but you can try setting "passthrough mode" on the LTE device to a non-bridge ethernet port, then plug your laptop into that passthrough port. You may have to remove one of your ports from bridge to do it. What this will do is bridge to modem to your laptop, it be curious to know what speed the passthrough mode is getting (e.g. hotspot -> Mikrotik (with LTE passthrough port set) -> Ethernet to PC). If this got more speed, then we kinda know the TTL isn't doing anything.