Community discussions

MikroTik App

Josephny
Topic Author

Hex might be dead

Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:55 pm

We had a power outage last night. Power was restored after a few hours.

My RB750Gr3 was on an APC battery backup/surge protector.

It came back up but failed to work.

Port light is blinking (indicating traffic), but it's not functioning and I am unable to connect.

Can't connect via Winbox, SSH, ping, etc.

Wireshark shows no traffic from it.

Tried to reset using multiple methods found from googling:

1) Insert power connector, press reset button and release
2) Press reset button and holt while inserting power connector, then release upon solid USR light
3) Same as #2 but release only after solid USR light starts to blink
4) Same as #3 but release only after USR light turns solid again

Nothing.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Josephny
Topic Author

Re: Hex might be dead

Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:17 pm

Nevermind....

Just did my first Netinstall and it worked perfectly.

Fully restored.

Followed these instructions:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

I am a little concerned about the process of restoring the config.

After the Netinstall, it was set to the default config.

I just pasted the backed up rsc file in a terminal window.

Is there a better way (that ensures none of the original, default config remains)?

Thank you!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:24 pm

In such case (restoring device after some sort of malfunctioning, specially if previous and current ROS version is the same), using (binary) backup files is perfect way. Device gets restored to previous state.

Josephny
Topic Author

Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:55 am

In such case (restoring device after some sort of malfunctioning, specially if previous and current ROS version is the same), using (binary) backup files is perfect way. Device gets restored to previous state.
I have all my devices set up with a scheduled script to Export the config and FTP the file offsite.

Should I change that to a script that does a binary backup?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:13 pm

Both text export and binary backups are benefitial in different use cases:
  • as already mentioned, binary backup is perfect for restoring same device to some previous state because it contains full state (including user with passwords, certificates etc.). It can also be used when restoring to another device of exactly same model (and preferrably same ROS version), possibly with some additional steps (such as reseting/changing MAC addresses) to avoid any chance of collisions on same L2 network
  • text export is perfect for monitoring configuration changes (simple diff does the trick), it can also be used as aide when transferring configuration to different device model and/or running much newer ROS version. In latter case I prefer to build on default setup as it is evolving (doesn't get apllied when upgrading ROS, only when reset to factory dedaults) and generally makes a very solid foundation (much more solid than most asorted internet sources)

I don't have any automation put in place. But when I decide it's time to take backups, I create both (and copy them off device). So far I always used text exports because I was lucky enough not to experience device crashes like the one you described in OP.

Josephny
Topic Author

Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:56 pm

Both text export and binary backups are benefitial in different use cases:
  • as already mentioned, binary backup is perfect for restoring same device to some previous state because it contains full state (including user with passwords, certificates etc.). It can also be used when restoring to another device of exactly same model (and preferrably same ROS version), possibly with some additional steps (such as reseting/changing MAC addresses) to avoid any chance of collisions on same L2 network
  • text export is perfect for monitoring configuration changes (simple diff does the trick), it can also be used as aide when transferring configuration to different device model and/or running much newer ROS version. In latter case I prefer to build on default setup as it is evolving (doesn't get apllied when upgrading ROS, only when reset to factory dedaults) and generally makes a very solid foundation (much more solid than most asorted internet sources)

I don't have any automation put in place. But when I decide it's time to take backups, I create both (and copy them off device). So far I always used text exports because I was lucky enough not to experience device crashes like the one you described in OP.
That's a great explanation of the use cases for each -- thank you.

I'll stick with my automated text export and off-site backups for now.