Community discussions

MikroTik App

tirdano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Connecting two MT routers using bridged DSL modem

Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:02 am

So Let's start with this diagram. (Note that none of equipment cannot be moved.)
asdasdasd.JPG
I have 2 rooms. In Room#2, there is a MT router (MT#2), connected by a 10m CAT6 cable as PPPoE interface to DSL modem which is in bridge mode itself and located in Room#1.
I want to connect MT#1 which is in Room#1 to MT#2 (MT#1 is DHCP client here and MT#2 is DHCP server.)
Clearly I need to wire another CAT cable from Room#1 to Room#2. However, I want to ask that can I connect MT#1 to DSL modem (using red wire) instead of connecting MT#1 to MT#2?

I heard something about VLAN but I am not sure how this can help in this scenario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Connecting two MT routers using bridged DSL modem

Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:32 am

If I understand what you are trying to do, the answer is maybe. The limiting factor is if the switch in the DSL modem will pass VLAN traffic. Some switches will and some will not. If the switch that is part of the DSL modem will pass VLAN traffic, then the connection between the DSL modem and router #2 can be set up in the router as a hybrid port. The VLAN tagged would have LAN from router #2, and the untagged would be the "WAN" for router #2 and would act as the "normal" connection to the DSL modem. The connection from the DSL modem to router #1 would only be making use of the VLAN traffic, and ignore the untagged traffic.

tirdano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:31 pm

If I understand what you are trying to do, the answer is maybe. The limiting factor is if the switch in the DSL modem will pass VLAN traffic. Some switches will and some will not. If the switch that is part of the DSL modem will pass VLAN traffic, then the connection between the DSL modem and router #2 can be set up in the router as a hybrid port. The VLAN tagged would have LAN from router #2, and the untagged would be the "WAN" for router #2 and would act as the "normal" connection to the DSL modem. The connection from the DSL modem to router #1 would only be making use of the VLAN traffic, and ignore the untagged traffic.
Hi k6ccc,
Fortunately my DSL router supports VLAN, here is the config in DSL router:
VL.JPG
Ether1 is connected to MT#1 and Ether2 is connected to MT#2
I don't know how to proceed further on MTs...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:41 pm

Cat cable?

Red wire?

tirdano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:50 pm

Cat cable?

Red wire?
Just normal Ethernet cables. forget about CAT6 etc.
Red wire is just for better understanding. It is a networking cable as well.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:56 pm

Model of DSL router?
Where is plugged the #2?

tirdano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Model of DSL router?
Where is plugged the #2?
DSL router is TP link TD-W8961N.
MT#2 is plugged in DSL router and other clients are connected to #2 (Shaping LAN2 together)