Community discussions

MikroTik App

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

wAP Discontinued - Replacement Device?

Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:29 pm

I've been using the wAP (RBwAP-2nD) 2.4Ghz for a long time as a solution for my customers and just found out today that it is discontinued. So now I'm wondering is there a Replacement device with the same features as the discontinued product? It would be nice if the discontinued product page had a link the the superseding product that replaced it.

My second question:

This is the second time in the last year that a Mikrotik product has been discontinued and I was not aware of it until I tried to order them and couldn't find them. Last summer not even my supplier had any knowledge of the product being discontinued and even took my order and told me they would let me know when stock was available. It never happened and I had to find out from Mikortik Tech support that the product was no longer possible to order. So my question is: Is there an official channel that I'm not aware of where new like this is announced? Is there any kind of product road map that allows me to plan ahead for things such as a product End of Life? I love the products but its hard to keep using them if the possibility of them disappearing seems random and arbitrary and I can't rely on them.

Thanks in advance.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP Discontinued - Replacement Device?

Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:33 am

But what world do you live in?(™)

You soon realized it... it's been 3 years since it was replaced by the new wAP ac
(2020 model, that has superseded the 4 year old wAP ac 2016 model, that has superseded the 8 year old wAP "2Ghz only")
https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_ac

The old wAP is now 8 years old, and do you expect them to still produce it?
8 years in IT is an eternity, and it is obvious that they would have replaced her sooner or later...

Subscribe to the newsletter.