Community discussions

MikroTik App

kuaizi
just joined
Topic Author

Only VLAN 1 is not propagating through switch?

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:15 pm

Hi all,

I'm running into a problem while setting up SwitchOS for 3 VLANs, here's my setup:
  • router: 3 VLANs and their DHCP servers (VLAN 1, 3 and 99) are living on ether2, which is connected to the switch below
  • switch running SwitchOS: ether1 is connected to the router above as a trunk port for VLAN 1,3,99 , ether2 is connected to another switch as trunk port for VLAN 1, 3, 99 (let's ignore all other interfaces on the switch for now)

What I found is that devices on VLAN 3 and VLAN 99 connected to ether2 on switch seems to be working fine (getting IP addresses correctly and are pingable).

However, there are 3 devices on VLAN 1 connected to ether2 on switch that don't seem to be getting IP address via the router. If I plug my PC into ether2 on the router (tagged as VLAN 1 in OS), my PC seems to be getting an IP in VLAN1 just fine; plugging in this PC into ether2 on the switch doesn't work either. So I figured the problem lies in my SwitchOS config which you can find below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Only VLAN 1 is not propagating through switch?  [SOLVED]

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 pm

Is VLAN 1 set up as tagged on trunk connection between router and switch? Because it's set as untagged on switch.

The "problem" with using VID=1 for tagged VLAN is that this VID is very often (also by other vendors) used as default or native VLAN. And then trying to use it in any other way is prone to configuration ... deficiencies. So if you don't have a good reason to stick to VID 1 for tagged traffic, swiitch over to using another VID.

kuaizi
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Only VLAN 1 is not propagating through switch?

Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:17 am

Is VLAN 1 set up as tagged on trunk connection between router and switch? Because it's set as untagged on switch.

The "problem" with using VID=1 for tagged VLAN is that this VID is very often (also by other vendors) used as default or native VLAN. And then trying to use it in any other way is prone to configuration ... deficiencies. So if you don't have a good reason to stick to VID 1 for tagged traffic, swiitch over to using another VID.
Oh wow, VID=1 is indeed the issue. Once I changed it to a random VID it works...

Thanks a lot mkx!

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:09 am

Never use VLAN 1.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:21 am

Never use VLAN 1.
"Never" is a strong word ... but then there are 4093 other values which one can use, so the actual need to use VID 1 is 1 in 4094 :wink:

[edit] fixed the ratio
Last edited by mkx on Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:29 am

Never use VLAN 1.
"Never" is a strong word ... but then there are 4093 other values which one can use, so the actual need to use VID 1 is 1 in 4093 :wink:
OK, Never use VLAN 1 unless there is some very specific reason that you MUST use VLAN 1. I actually had one of those until recently. A piece of equipment that was set to use VLAN 1 for one specific type of traffic and that VLAN setting could not be changed. The developers for that equipment recently changed it's firmware so the VLAN could be set..

BrianEvans
just joined

Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:42 pm

I appreciate you for the advice, you saved my day.