Community discussions

MikroTik App

stefan4o
just joined
Topic Author

Two ISPs - one default, one - backup

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:04 pm

Hello, guyz
I am kind of novice about the RouterOS, but try to do my best to learn about some basic settings of Mikrotik router.
So I need to set my Mikrotik to the both available configurations about two ISPs.
1. eth1 - default ISP (limitless) - static IP
2. eth2 - backup ISP (limited LTE) - dynamic IP

and
1. eth1 - default ISP (limitless) - dynamic IP
2. eth2 - backup ISP (limited LTE) - dynamic IP
As I know I need to add in the IP=>Routes=>Distance for ISP1 - 1, and for ISP2 - 2. I did a Firewall=>NAT settings, and my both eth-interfaces working when I plug and unpug the internet cable between 1 and 2 eth port on the device. I did try to add a route manually, but when I plug the internet cable in the eth1 or eth2 my internet stops. I need some small explanation, read some articles and watch some videos in youtube, but if I can do this without mangle rules it will be great.
Thanks in advance

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two ISPs - one default, one - backup

Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:30 pm

Sorry but you contradict yourself.

You cannot have the router setup for two different WAN scenarios?
Are you perhaps talking about two different routers.......

Either ether1 is connected to a static or dynamic IP, which is it??
Ether 2 is the same in both examples

stefan4o
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:26 pm

Hello, thanks for answer. I will try to explain and be more specific. The english is not my default language, so i will have to excuse about it.
Let's begin. A friend of mine will have a new ISP (new build home). Meanwhile he using a LTE device (a router) with sim-card and limited internet access. I am planning to buy and use RB2011UiAS-IN in his house.
Eth1 will be a default ISP (not installed yet), eth2 will be connected with LTE-router (with sim-card). The idea is all the traffic to be redirected via default ISP (eth1). When by some reason the default ISP get down, then eth2 will be engaged and traffic will be redirected by eth2.
But i dont have an idea how default WAN (the main ISP) will get an IP - dynamic or static. That's why it was kind of messy in my previous asking. Because the LTE is on dynamic, but main ISP could be dynamic or static.
I am using a mikrotik router in my home as a training platform ( use to use TPLINK for my ISP) and try to learn some basics. Actually i am doing fine by the moment.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:05 am

Sounds excellent,
So you need concepts not actual configs yet.
Why the RB2011 route? It it is end of life somewhat and under powered being so old.
You would be actually a friend if you bought something like the hapax3 which is an ARM64 device with lots of RAM and will be able to support RoS down the line with ease.
You dont need to use the wifi if not required, the rest of the router is awesome and can easily also handle an ISP up to 1.5gig up and down.

I cannot recommend the RB2000 model. :-(