MikroTik App

jwab76
just joined
Topic Author

Routing fails on VPLS tunnel activation

Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:05 am

Hi All,

Got a sticky one here. Scenario is this

MGT-ROUTER <> VPLS <> GW-ROUTER (V7.9.2) <> Netonix Switch <> 18GHZ PTP <> Netonix Switch <> ST-ROUTER (V6.49.8)

I have PTP addressing between the GW & ST routers and they ping each other fine. I enable OSPF all good. Pinging on interface address's and loopback IP's.

Now I add 2 VPLS tunnel's between MGT-Router and ST-ROUTER. All good, stand up fine, can bridge my interfaces that I need and all happy.
Then I add a VPLS between GW-ROUTER and ST-ROUTER. Bam all goes to shit. pings drop in and out, OSPF keeps failing and even the PTP IP connection keeps dropping. I turn off the VPLS all goes back to normal. Happy days.
Here's the hitch. I have the exact same setup working just fine in other separate networks. At first I though it was firmware but I tried both V7 and V6. I have 3 other ST-Routers connecting to the GW-Router and the VPLS works fine also.

I've triple checked that the correct interfaces are in the LDP interface list. All the Intervals are matched, MTU is above what's required. Checked the switches and wireless radios MTU. All above required.

Hope this sounds familiar to some and I can be pointed to something to look at.

jwab76
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Routing fails on VPLS tunnel activation  [SOLVED]

Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:10 am

Well after a lot of too and fro I think I solved the issue. I turned off RSTP on the Netonix switches and hey presto all is working. No idea what the outcome of this might be, but I've seen it before. Some times RSTP works fine, and doesn't effect traffic but sometimes the forwarding ports keep switching around which screws everything up.

Anyway glad it's not a Mikrotik problem.

Network5

Re: Routing fails on VPLS tunnel activation

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:22 pm

We had a similar problem with a multipoint BGP-VPLS mash and we forgot enabled the RSTP on a bridge on one router of the mesh. With horizon active on the VPLS part the RSTP blocks the port when the tunnel comes up. (Maybe you can check under bridge/port the port status.)
It took months to figure out that RSTP was enabled. The problem was not present always, but only in certain cases, it depended of the order in which the tunnels comes up.