Community discussions

MikroTik App

chg123
just joined
Topic Author

Using L009 as room switches

Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:25 am

Hello,

for my new 10-room-office I have the challenge that there is almost no space for network cables. So building up a classical copper network with thick trunks of cables is barely possible. I need 3-6 LAN ports per room.

That popped up the idea of building an FTTR (Fiber to the room) network needing only 10 fiber OM3-cables to the rooms and distributing locally.

Additionally there could be plenty of in-room WIFi-APs using the L009 with AX wifi.

But reading the fact that the SFP slot is capable of 2.5Gbps tickles my brain: What central router (from MikrotTik) could I use for bundling these 10 2.5Gbps lines? I considered the CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS but is this devices also capable of 2.5 Gbps on its SFP+ ports?

What alternatives to my design do i have? I don't need routers in the rooms, regular switches are fine, but included WiFi AP sounds so nice.

And the final question: which SFP+ modules support 2.5 Gbps?

greetings
chg123

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Using L009 as room switches

Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:45 am

CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS has been reported on other forums that its SFP+ ports can work at 2.5Gbps but YMMV. But those reports are for SFP GPON ONU modules. Presumably, it works for other modules as well (if they support 2.5G).

If I were you, I would use the 5009 (or 4011 if you also need embedded WiFi) instead and do full 10Gbit that works reliably in regards to compatibility/availability with SFP modules.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:17 am

My biggest concern is that putting an AP in each room can crowd the WiFi spectrum if not carefully balanced. Each radio is liable see 4 or more others nearby in an office grid, but you’ve only got 3 real channels in the 2.4GHz range.

There are ways of reducing radio power to keep APs from stomping all over each other, but it’s tricky work. You can’t simply “flood the zone” and find yourself joyously swimming in bandwidth.

The more RF-permeable your office walls are, the bigger the problem.

One hAP ax³ at each end of the floor plus a CSS610, CRS305, or CRS310 per office might work better.

chg123
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:42 am

My biggest concern is that putting an AP in each room can crowd the WiFi spectrum if not carefully balanced. Each radio is liable see 4 or more others nearby in an office grid, but you’ve only got 3 real channels in the 2.4GHz range.
You're right. I did not intend to activate WiFi in each room but using this approach there is the flexibility to find the optimal location for the three or four APs in the office while purchasing unique hardware. And in my opinion the L009 look quite modern.

So my concerns regard the choice of the "counterpart" - the central hub. And of course the corresponding SFP modules.

chg123

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:56 am

I still like the idea of a CRS310 in each room since it gives you 10G ports for the main workstation(s) in each office, plus five 1G ports for the lesser devices. Run each one back to a CRS317 as the core switch, use some of your extra ports to drive the APs, one of which you configure as your LAN's Internet gateway, and you've got one badass little network.

This config leaves you five ports in the central rack for other servers. If you need more, there's the CRS326-24S+.