Community discussions

MikroTik App

youbecha
just joined
Topic Author

Download speeds suddenly dropped to 5Mbps-or less

Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:28 am

I can't pinpoint anything I changed in the last day...but today I noticed my speeds dropped from 300Mbps to 5Mbps. (not sure when it occured)

Hardware is a HeX PoE...running 7.11

Hooking a computer straight to the cable modem gives me 340Mbps down.

Using "Bandwidth Test" on the device itself and an external server I get 5Mbps.

Using the usual internet browser speed tests I get 5Mbps down, using ethernet or wifi, same speed.

Rebooted everything, repowered everything, same limit.

Tried same ethernet cable I used for the direct to modem test...still 5Mbps.

I have to assume it is a hardware issue...It might be 7years old. (originally shipped with FW 3.34)

Is there a configuration that would throttle the speeds? Is there a way to see if it is hardware vs software?

I don't have another one to throw in, I will have to order one.

Anything to look for?

Mike

youbecha
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Download speeds suddenly dropped to 5Mbps-or less

Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:05 pm

My first guess was that something was messed up in the firewall...I had recently added WireGuard (a week ago), so I had to make some entries, and somehow the order of some entry got rearranged. I do not know what got moved, but I used this list to re-order and doublecheck settings.

https://www.shellhacks.com/mikrotik-fir ... r-dummies/

Additionally I looked at the Fasttrack doc...I don't remember putting this entry in, but in the docs it should be next to the counter placeholder in the Filter Rules...and mine was near the bottom. So I moved it to the top.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Fasttrack

My guess is that is what the problem was...but I am not sure how it got to the bottom of the list.

Hopefully that helps someone else.

Mike