Community discussions

MikroTik App

jjwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Spread out pings

Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:23 pm

Is there a way to have DUDE spread out the ping probes over a few seconds?
We have a network of about 100 devices. We use the standard ping probe to ping them every 1 minute. DUDE appears to send them all at once and that spikes the traffic on the network. How can we spread those out to eliminate that burst of traffic?
Jim

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Spread out pings

Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:04 pm

As I remember we have Delay just for Notifications - Manual:The Dude v6/Notifications.
Can't find something similar for Polling or special settings for that.

Maybe we can consider to use different Dude agents and that will spread at least traffic in some flows?

jjwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:06 am

Regarding using different agents, that's easy enough to set up. Something like 5 clones of ping with different names, and use one for each 20 or so devices. But wouldn't DUDE kick them all off one right after another?

It occurred to me I might change the interval for groups of devices. For example have some 40 seconds, 45 seconds, 50, 55, and 60 seconds. Then perhaps the groups at 40 seconds would be pinged at 40, 80, 120, 160, 220, etc. Every few time intervals one or more would collide and get pinged at the same time. Or perhaps 41, 47, 53, 50, 63, 65. Those would not collide as much.
Seems like a somewhat messy work around, and we would need to track which 'interval ping' was being used with what IP address, and group them in some way. Perhaps include in a group addresses in different branches of the network. A bit of a maintenance issue to keep up with.

Would that work?

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:18 am

This is what Dude agent is - Manual:The_Dude_v6/Agents