Community discussions

MikroTik App

azgeek563
just joined
Topic Author

USB Port Tethering

Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:16 am

Greetings!

I come to the brain trust to see if anyone has successfully used a mikrotik device to connect a LTE hotspot device and get it to pass the connection to the mikrotik for wired or wireless devices?

thank you all for your time.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: USB Port Tethering

Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:57 pm

LTE hotspot device
such as a USB LTE dongle? Huawei 3372 worked for me
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals

A separate wireless hotspot device (non-usb connected) ? You would need to connect via wifi as station, if there is no ethernet interface, and then start a new network on the Mikrotik, with the wifi station interface as its WAN connection.
Direct transparant connection a la "station pseudobridge" , might work or not. (See forum on "pseudo bridge")

azgeek563
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:20 am

I was thinking like a jet pack or mifi kind of device and plug it into the router usb port and be able to get that as my wan connection

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:50 am

I was thinking like a jet pack or mifi kind of device and plug it into the router usb port and be able to get that as my wan connection
If it works with Windows via USB without any drivers, you have a good shot of it working on Mikrotik. You might want to get that working before trying on Mikrotik since sometimes the hotspot UI has some mode to enable USB for "data" (as oppose to "charge").

azgeek563
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:10 am

It works with windows just dont know if there are drivers being installed in the back ground so i would have to look and see. Thank you for the tip

mbovenka

Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:34 am

Something like the abovementioned Huawei E3372 will work for that; I'm using one as backup to my fiber connection. Slightly updated list of LTE modems is here: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals