Community discussions

MikroTik App

ThorTheRookie
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi Backend

Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:04 pm

Hi
I have just purchased the wAP LR8 kit for setting up a new LoRa gateway in my area and connecting it to TheThingsNetwork.

I would like to use Wifi as the backend connection to the internet, but I cannot figure out how to setup the device to connect to my house wifi. Is this not possible with this device?

I have connected to the Mikrotik using the Mikrotik app and run the Quick Setup, but this does not allow me to setup the connection to my house wifi.

I have also tried using the browser configuration of the Mikrotik (connected to the mikrotik hotspot), but could not figure out how to do it.

Is it because I must be connected via the ethernet cable to allow the Mikrotik to see my house wifi? Like, am I blocking it by using the Mikrotik wifi to configure it?

I am very new to this. Any help is very appreciated.

NB. my house wifi is a GSM router, so it is not possible to connect with ethernet cable.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Wifi Backend

Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:46 am

If you connect to the device using wifi, you will lose your connection to it, if you change what the wifi interface does so use Ethernet port for config.
Your wireless interface is in "ap-bridge" mode (access point mode), you need it in "station" mode (client). Change it to that, apply, then click the "scan" button to see nearby wireless networks to connect to.

I suggest using Winbox app to do this https://mt.lv/winbox

ThorTheRookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:07 am

Hi Normis,

Thank you for your reply.

Just to recap so I am sure I understand it. I need to connect my computer to it using the ethernet cable and then using winbox I change the wireless interface from "ap-bridge" to "station" mode and set it to scan for nearby wifi networks?

After that I will see the interface for entering the credentials for the house wifi?

I read that the ethernet config access is blocked by the firewall off the shelf?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:23 am

Yes, you understood the steps correctly.

About the firewall, Yes, that's also true, you will have to first connect like you did before and disable the firewall for now. After you get the connection, you will have to set up a new firewall, depending on your needs.

I don't know if I can guide you step by step like this, maybe try to do this in parts and let us know here, how far you get.

P.S: the WPA security password for that remote network should be entered in the "security profiles" section in winbox

ThorTheRookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:55 am

Thank you! I will let you know how I manage.

Thanks again.

ThorTheRookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:21 pm

Hi sorry, I am not able to connect over ethernet.

Following a youtube instructional video I made the following rule on the firewall list:
Chain: input
Protocol: 6 (tcp)
Destination port: 80
Interphase: ether1
Action: Accept

I moved the rule to the top of the rule list and rebooted the router.

However, when I connect the ethernet cable and open up WinBox the router does not appear in the Neighbors list.

Please note I'm using a Ethernet to USB adapter because I don't have an ethernet port on my PC

thank you

ThorTheRookie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:34 pm

Note, I also tried disabling all the firewall rules in the list. But same result. I still don't see the router in the list when opening up WinBox

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:41 pm

Winbox connectivity is configured under Tools>MAC Server ... and uses interface lists.
Winbox visibility is configured under IP>Neighbors>Discovery Settings ... and again uses interface lists.

Default setup uses two interface lists: WAN and LAN, by dedsult ether1 is member of WAN and bridge (including wireless interface) is member of LAN. When you switch functions of interfaces (e.g. using wireless interface as WAN), it's useful to update interface list membership ad well. Makes life much easier.

ThorTheRookie
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:59 am

It works!!!

Thank you so much for helping. Mkx, after your advice I managed to connect over Ethernet.

Normis, thank you for the advice on switching from access point to client.

For anyone else with the same challenges. After the above, I more or less followed this instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KJeMT4h04&t=264s

Wow, I was way over my head with this setup, but so happy it works now, and happy to add another gateway to the community.

Cheers.