Community discussions

MikroTik App

maxdata01
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik L009UiGS-RM and SFP GPON

Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:40 pm

Hi
I have a MikroTik L009UiGS-RM router and I would like to know how to know the ONU SFP Huawei MA5671A and Module ONU SFP GPON Brand FS are compatible with this router ? I have problems connecting it to fiber SFR in france, so the SFP works very well with another router under OpenWRT, thank you if you know how to answer

merci beaucoup
Max

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik L009UiGS-RM and SFP GPON

Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:59 pm

I don't think that there's a single ONU SFP module on the official list of compatible hardware. There are a few threads on this forum about using various GPON SFP modules with MT and mostly the gist of them is that things either don't work at all (with some rare exceptions) or are extremely tricky to configure.

The problem is that GPON SFP modules are essentially ONTs, compressed into a SFP module footprint. That includes also software, running on ONTs, config and management interface. Not to mention that in many GPON networks, network operator provides ONTs with specific settings applied ... and most of them don't want to hear about using 3rd party ONT devices. So getting ONU SFPs to work with any particular GPON network is very tricky (in your case this part seems to be simpler than for most GPON users).