ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Audience is not setting itself up as Mesh client [SOLVED]

Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:25 am

Hi,

I have configured my HAP ax2 with CAPsMAN as follows:
/interface wifiwave2 security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk name=sec1 wps=push-button passphrase="PASSWORD"
/interface wifiwave2 configuration
add channel.band=5ghz-ac country=Switzerland name=5ghz security=sec1 ssid=SSID_5G
add channel.band=2ghz-n country=Switzerland name=2ghz security=sec1 ssid=KSSID
/interface wifiwave2 cap
set enabled=yes
/interface wifiwave2 capsman
set ca-certificate=auto enabled=yes interfaces=bridge require-peer-certificate=no upgrade-policy=suggest-same-version
/interface wifiwave2 provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=5ghz supported-bands=5ghz-ac,5ghz-ax,5ghz-n,5ghz-a
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=2ghz supported-bands=2ghz-ax,2ghz-g,2ghz-n

But when I try to configure the Audience as a mesh client by turning it on whilst holding WPS sync, it doesn't turn green.

It's config stays factory setup
/interface wireless
# managed by CAPsMAN
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] ssid=MikroTik
# managed by CAPsMAN
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] ssid=MikroTik
# managed by CAPsMAN
set [ find default-name=wlan3 ] ssid=MikroTik
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
Even if I manually setup the cap & mesh manually, it doesn't update the Wifi settings
/interface wireless cap
set bridge=bridgeLocal caps-man-addresses=192.168.X.Y certificate=request discovery-interfaces=bridgeLocal enabled=yes interfaces=\
    wlan1,wlan2,wlan3 lock-to-caps-man=yes
/interface mesh
add admin-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX name=mesh1
I can't find any simple guides on how to configure the Audience as a mesh client using the CLI, is there a simple howto document on this?
Last edited by ojnab on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Audience is not setting itself up as Mesh client

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:19 am

I thought audience mesh with audience.

CowboyChris
just joined

Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:03 am

I am having the same issue with a three node Audience installation. I'm connecting to the base node and the extension nodes are not handling any traffic or connecting to end points. No traffic over the backhaul radio. All three nodes were connected over the instructions and the lights are all green. Documentation is really poor.

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:44 am

ojnab, the first problem I see is one of the devices is Wifiwave2, the other is not. Can you at least install the wifiwave2 package on the Audience and try again? A second potential issue is you are trying to setup the CAP connection on an interface managed by CAP. Not sure that works.

CowboyChris, I suppose you mean the wlan3 for the backhaul. I have found that the mesh/wds links are not super reliable. Instead I have in my setup (1 manager, 2 satellites) the main router as ap bridge, the two satellites are station bridge over wlan3. wlan1 and wlan2 are managed via the main router (capsman).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:46 pm

I thought you had to stay with the Old Drivers to get MESH?

Is that incorrect?

My Audeince is from before the WAVE2 drivers. The instant I added the WAVE2 package I got a unit with no config.

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Thanks all - I've now given up on using WDS as it seems I need wave2 and I've managed t install routeros 7.12.1 with wave2 on the Audience, and I've managed to configure it to use capsman as follows

HAP ax2
/interface wifiwave2 security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk name=sec1
/interface wifiwave2 configuration
add channel.band=5ghz-ac country=Switzerland name=5ghz security=sec1 ssid=mySSID_5G
add channel.band=2ghz-n country=Switzerland name=2ghz security=sec1 ssid=mySSID
/interface wifiwave2
add configuration=2ghz disabled=no name=audience-1-wifi1 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
add configuration=5ghz disabled=no name=audience-1-wifi2 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
/interface wifiwave2 cap
set caps-man-addresses=127.0.0.1 enabled=yes
/interface wifiwave2 capsman
set ca-certificate=auto enabled=yes interfaces=bridge require-peer-certificate=no upgrade-policy=suggest-same-version
/interface wifiwave2 provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=5ghz supported-bands=5ghz-ax
add action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=2ghz supported-bands=2ghz-ax
add action=create-enabled master-configuration=5ghz supported-bands=5ghz-ac
add action=create-enabled master-configuration=2ghz supported-bands=2ghz-n
Audience
/interface wifiwave2
# managed by CAPsMAN
# mode: AP, SSID: mySSID, channel: 2437/n/Ce
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] configuration.manager=capsman disabled=no name=audience-1-wifi1
# managed by CAPsMAN
# mode: AP, SSID: mySSID_5G, channel: 5180/ac/Ceee
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration.manager=capsman disabled=no name=audience-1-wifi2
/interface wifiwave2 cap
set caps-man-addressesXXX.XXX.XXX.XXX certificate=none discovery-interfaces=bridge enabled=yes lock-to-caps-man=no

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:49 pm

gotsprings correct, no mesh with wave2 on the audience. During my tests, I have found that the mesh with the old drivers is at best unreliable. What is still possible is ap/station bridge, which works fine.

I tried wave2 but as I use vlan and needed the vlan-filtering, I had to go back to the old drivers.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:02 pm

If you want to use the QuickSet options to setup the mesh, that requires the "old" drivers (e.g. the ones it ships with).

But "new" Wi-Fi drivers (which have to be downloaded/installed, from mikrotik downloads) are WAY better than the old drivers, so that's what you'd likely want to use. Only downside is the "mesh" has to be manually configured, and any of the QuickSet option won't work with the new drivers.

Critically, "mesh" really not something special, it's just a "station-bridge" configured on one of the 2nd Audience's Wi-Fi interface. The Audience only special in that it has 2 x 5Ghz WiFi radios, so one can be dedicated to bridging  — e.g. one has 2 chains, one has 4 chain interface, typically the 4 chain is the last wifi interface & what should be used for mesh. Additionally, you still may want to use "new" CAPsMAN on the non-bridge/non-mesh 5Ghz Wi-Fi so can enabling roaming between the two Audiences.

Final detail here is in 7.13rc/beta, how the "new" Wi-Fi drivers are changing... So if setting up a new network, I'd recommend using the 7.13rc so future upgrades will work without issue. But the setup of the Audience "mesh" is same using a "station-bridge" — only difference is the Audience has a dedicated "mesh" interface to use for it (rather than a virtual Wi-Fi interface).

CowboyChris
just joined

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:48 pm

Thank you! I’ll proceed as suggested. I have to say I would have expected a $160 AP to work as documented. First time I’ve been really disappointed with a Mikrotik product.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 am

Amm0

As I stated many times... The audience is the best performing CLIENT SERVING WIFI I have seen from Mikrotik. Once you put the WAVE2 driver in.

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:43 pm

Now I'm having issues with bridging the Audience to the HAPax2

Here's my setup on the Audience ...
/interface bridge
add name=admin
add arp=proxy-arp name=bridge
/interface bridge port
add bridge=admin interface=ether1
add bridge=admin interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge interface=audience-1-wifi1
add bridge=bridge interface=audience-1-wifi2
add bridge=bridge interface=audience-1-wifi3
/interface wifiwave2
# managed by CAPsMAN
# mode: AP, SSID: my2gSSID, channel: 2467/n/eC
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] configuration.manager=capsman disabled=no name=audience-1-wifi1
# managed by CAPsMAN
# mode: AP, SSID: my5gSSID, channel: 5180/ac/Ceee
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration.manager=capsman disabled=no name=audience-1-wifi2
set [ find default-name=wifi3 ] channel.band=5ghz-ac configuration.manager=local .mode=station-bridge .ssid=my5gSSID disabled=no name=\
    audience-1-wifi3 passphrase=PASSPHRASE
/interface wifiwave2 cap
set caps-man-addresses=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX certificate=none discovery-interfaces=bridge enabled=yes lock-to-caps-man=no
/ip address
add address=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/24 interface=bridge network=XXX.XXX.XXX.0
Every works fine when I add ether1 to to the bridge "bridge" and plug it in, my phone can connect to the internet through the audience.

When I unplug ether1 I can still connect to the Audience's IP address via the HAPax2 but I'm not getting any bridging from wifi2 to wifi3. I can see it's connecting on the HAPax2
/interface/wifiwave2/registration-table/print 
Flags: A - AUTHORIZED
Columns: INTERFACE, SSID, MAC-ADDRESS, UPTIME, SIGNAL
#   INTERFACE  SSID             MAC-ADDRESS        UPTIME  SIGNAL
0 A cap-wifi2  my5gSSID  XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  35s     -45
It's as if station-bridge mode isn't working as advertised.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:11 pm

- Is there some reason you're using proxy-arp on the bridge?
- Can you ping across the bridge from the router?

A more full config/diagram might help since you have some non-default stuff going on here too...

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:21 pm

I was experimenting to see if proxy-arp made any difference - it doesn't

Working scenarios
Computer ------- eth ------ HAPax2 ----- eth ------ Audience ----- wifi2 ----- Phone
Computer ------- eth ------ HAPax2 ----- H-wifi1 ----- Phone

Failing scenario
Computer ------ eth ------ HAPax2 ----- A-wifi3 ----- Audience ----- A-wifi2 ------ Phone

In the failing scenario the Audience can connect to capsman on the HAPax2. the computer can connect to the Audience and if the phone is configured with static IP it can connect to the Audience.

Sniffer on the Audience shows that when the computer pings the phone and arp is received and replied to, but I don't think the reply is getting to the HAPax2, when I ping the computer from the phone the arp is sent but no reply comes back again perhaps the arp isn't getting to the HAPax2

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:30 pm

Working scenarios
Computer ------- eth ------ HAPax2 ----- eth ------ Audience ----- wifi2 ----- Phone
Computer ------- eth ------ HAPax2 ----- H-wifi1 ----- Phone

Failing scenario
Computer ------ eth ------ HAPax2 ----- A-wifi3 ----- Audience ----- A-wifi2 ------ Phone

Is the Audience also connected via Ethernet & you want the wifi mesh as a backup? I'm confused...

I ask since there is RSTP active by default & you'd have two paths to same bridge... You can adjust the cost of the wifi3 bridge port and/or mark as "Trusted".

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:02 pm

The Audience will have no ethernet connection when its placed where it's needed. I only plug it in for configuration and tests.

You have a very good point about spanning tree, as the phone is going to be switching between the HAPax2 and Audience as I move around the building. Also, I'm not familiar with mesh so the only thing I did was ...

HAPax2
/interface mesh
add hwmp-rann-propagation-delay=5 name=mesh1
Audience
/interface mesh
add admin-mac=E4:8D:8C:35:2C:E9 name=mesh1
So I guess I need to get rstp and mesh configured correctly then?

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:32 pm

So I've removed the proxy-arp setting and configured RSTP, but still the same problem

Why is the wifi3 interface on the Audience still not sending out packets that don't originate from the Audience itself.

In the sales blurb it says that the Audience is supposed to be able to send traffic around the mesh on all 3 wifi radios, but if wifi1 and wifi2 are configured in AP mode, how can they also work in station mode?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:53 pm

You keep confusing me ;) ...

The "station-bridge" is pretty simple – it doesn't need any help from HWMP/"mesh"/etc — it just need to be a bridge port on the LAN your trying to extend (with the "ap" end also in the right bridge) & it needs to be connected (which it seems it is already).

e.g. Why are you using HWMP? You shouldn't need "/interface mesh add hwmp-rann-propagation-delay=5 name=mesh1" on either end. If you did than mesh1 is what go to your bridge AFAIK but I'm not the HWMP expert & you'd want STP disabled (or port marked edge)

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:57 pm

If you have only a few links, use ap bridge/ station bridge and don't bother with the mesh.

Do not forget to add the interface wifi3 in the bridge. IIRC, you are using vlan 1 so pvid 1 on both the hap and audience.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 pm

Agreed. But on this one...
In the sales blurb it says that the Audience is supposed to be able to send traffic around the mesh on all 3 wifi radios, but if wifi1 and wifi2 are configured in AP mode, how can they also work in station mode?
It also help to know final topology your looking for... I presume you have hAPax and Audience, and have a single LAN... if so station-bridge on one end is what you'd want. If you have multiple VLAN etc, that's whole different animal here...

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:34 pm

Just to give you an idea of what I'm planning. Here's the layout of my building, and I was thinking about getting 2 Audience units one in the bedroom1 to give me a good signal in bedroom2 and if it works out good then I was thinking of either asking the HOA for permission to put a 2nd one in the laundry room or it might be easier to ask the neighbour in flat2 if they would be willing to put one in the corner of their flat to give me a signal in area cellar1.

PS: I can't get wifi3 on the Audience to connect to the HAPax2 directly, probably because the HAPax2 is using 5ghz-ax so I'm actually connecting to a very old ASUS ap next to the CCR1009.

Whilst I'm testing the Audience is half way between the CCR1009 and the HAPax2 so I can plug a cable into either router.

ojnab
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:07 am

aha !!!

It's the CCR1009 STP blocking the phone when it connects via the ASUS to the Audience instead of coming from the HAPax2, but when I connect directly to the ASUS I'm using a different SSID which means my Andoid resolves the problem with MAC address randomisation.

I managed to tweak the settings again and get the Audience to connect to the HAPax2 and because the Audience has a capsman interface on the HAPax2 it handles the STP.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:22 pm

Amm0.
I had VLANs working on one of my attempts to get the unit working.

I first ran the unit with caps-man and had some issues with radio 2. Can't recall what it was.

Ran standalone and figured out VLAN filtering... Ran into some issues that I emailed support about. Then I had to put the system back in the box for a few months.

Its been a while and I only waste so much time on it before I get annoyed and remember...

'this is a 2016 wireless protocol.... Why are you wasting time on it."

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:38 pm

Amm0.
[...]
'this is a 2016 wireless protocol.... Why are you wasting time on it."
I'm not the existential question guy.

Totally fair that Mikrotik touts it as a "meshable", but that only true with V6 and it's poorly documented. Worse is if you want get good performance and use latest V7 version & new drivers, all this has to be configured manually.

But, as a Wi-Fi AP, the Audience has worked pretty well in a lot of difficult environments — with the wifiwave2 driver. Just requires careful configuration – without much "how to" guides — certainly requires more network knowledge than you should need to setup its highlighted feature. So that mean leaning the new CAPsMAN and manually setting up "station-bridge" on remote...but like most Mikrotik's once setup, it does just keep working.