Community discussions

MikroTik App

goscickiw
Topic Author

R11eL-EC200A-EU public IP doesn't stay up. Power saving feature that needs to be turned off?

Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:33 pm

Another problem with the R11eL-EC200A-EU. I'm planning to use it as an auxiliary interface with a public IP for remote access alongside my CGNATed fiber connection (I've already set up the mangle rules that are needed so that responses aren't sent out through the main fiber connection).

And it works... as long as there was a recent outgoing connection through the LTE interface.

For example, when I try to acces the public IP normally from the Internet, it shows unable to connect. After pinging some Internet address through the LTE interface from the router with the R11eL-EC200A-EU connected, I can briefly connect to the public IP from the Internet until it starts showing unable to connect again.

I think that this could be some kind of power saving feature on the R11eL-EC200A-EU that needs to be disabled for the remote access to work properly, but I don't see any option to turn it off.

I've also noticed that the first ping through the LTE interface sometimes shows much higher time than subsequent ones - the LTE modem has to "wake up" from the power saving mode?

The first solution that came to my mind would be to set the router up to ping something through the LTE interface every 10 seconds, but it seems like a kludgy workaround that would use up the monthly transfer package.

I'm starting to think that this modem is just buggy (I'm also having other issues such as turning off the "Use Peer DNS" and "Add Default Route" options in LTE APN profile having no effect, but I'm not sure if it's a modem issue or RouterOS issue) and considering buying something else such as R11e-LTE or LTE6.