Community discussions

MikroTik App

marekm
Topic Author

Netpower Lite 7R powering 2 chained devices

Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:04 pm

The specs say PoE-out is max 600mA (or 450mA above 30V).
Sometimes I'd like to be able to power two chained devices: Netpower Lite 7R port 8 PoE-out to Omnitik PoE 5 ac port 1 PoE-in, and Omntik PoE 5 ac port 5 PoE-out to a 60GHz station (wAP60/LHG60/Cube60) as uplink. This way a few people in a building can power the switch which powers a small 5GHz base station with 60GHz uplink (planned to be upgraded later with fiber directly to the switch, but it will take time).
I can give the customers 24V 1A PoE adapters so they are not the power limit (even if just one is active), but Netpower Lite 7R PoE-out will be close to maximum load. Maybe not on average, but some (difficult to measure accurately) short peaks may exceed the limit - how fast does it trigger?
Does such a setup have a chance to work stable in practice (no reboots due to PoE overloads), even it a bit out-of-spec in theory?
I can try some ways to reduce power consumption of the powered devices (reduce CPU clocks from default values, reduce 5GHz Tx power, disable those LEDs that can be disabled) if necessary, but I expect this may save a watt or so, not much.
Has anyone tried such a setup in practice?