Community discussions

MikroTik App

cheese2402
just joined
Topic Author

Auto channel and client handling

Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:07 am

Hello,

I have questions about auto channel selection and have problems handling clients between ap's.

First how do the ap's select there channels if nothing is configured? And how often they scan there environment and change channel?

Second problem is, I have in each floor one AP, one of them is CapsMan and controls himself and the other two... If I go around my house, my client (Andoid phone, iPad....) switches first from 5GHz to 2.4GHz, signal is going weeker, I have the second AP in sight about 2 meters, but the clients do not switch? Why.

My conifg is only Security, Datapath with VLAN, Config with SSID. Each wifi-interface on the caps configured manually.

What can I configure to solve the problem?
Thanks!

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Auto channel and client handling

Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 pm

I think that when nothing is configured then AP at startup scans for the least crowded frequency and set that frequency to the interface.

How often scans I don't know but advice you will hear a lot here is to set your frequencies manually.

As for the second question did you enable FT ? Now will be a good time to post your configuration here so we can see how did you configured your CAPs.

At home I use CAPsMAN and all devices roam without a problem expect my phone. It loves to stick to one AP... It's just client thing...

cheese2402
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Ok, in my old config I set the Frequency manually and it works as long as my neighbors fritzbox etc changes the channel and I got weak signals... So I want to let them find the config itself.
Can I trigger autoselect with script?

What do you mean with FT?

My config is:
/interface wifi datapath
add bridge=bridge disabled=no name=DP-VLAN-Intern vlan-id=20
add bridge=bridge disabled=no name=DP-VLAN-IOT vlan-id=30

/interface wifi security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk disabled=no name=SEC-Intern
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk disabled=no name=SEC-IOT

/interface wifi configuration
add country=Germany datapath=DP-VLAN-Intern disabled=no mode=ap name=Config-Intern-VLAN security=SEC-Intern ssid="Pyramidenverleih Ramses"
add country=Germany datapath=DP-VLAN-IOT disabled=no hide-ssid=yes mode=ap name=Config-IOT-OG-VLAN security=SEC-IOT ssid="IOT OG"
add country=Germany datapath=DP-VLAN-IOT disabled=no hide-ssid=yes mode=ap name=Config-IOT-UG-VLAN security=SEC-IOT ssid="IOT UG"

/interface wifi
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration=Config-Intern-VLAN configuration.manager=local .mode=ap disabled=no name=CAP_EG_2.4GHz
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] configuration=Config-Intern-VLAN configuration.manager=local .mode=ap disabled=no name=CAP_EG_5GHz
add configuration=Config-Intern-VLAN configuration.mode=ap disabled=no name=CAP_OG_2.4GHz radio-mac=78:9A:18:8C:25:C6
add configuration=Config-IOT-OG-VLAN configuration.mode=ap disabled=no mac-address=7A:9A:18:8C:25:C6 master-interface=CAP_OG_2.4GHz name=CAP_OG_2.4GHz_IOT
add configuration=Config-Intern-VLAN configuration.mode=ap disabled=no name=CAP_OG_5GHz radio-mac=78:9A:18:8C:25:C5
add configuration=Config-Intern-VLAN configuration.mode=ap disabled=no name=CAP_UG_2.4GHz radio-mac=78:9A:18:77:AA:2B
add configuration=Config-IOT-UG-VLAN configuration.mode=ap disabled=no mac-address=7A:9A:18:77:AA:2B master-interface=CAP_UG_2.4GHz name=CAP_UG_2.4GHz_IOT
add configuration=Config-Intern-VLAN configuration.mode=ap disabled=no name=CAP_UG_5GHz radio-mac=78:9A:18:77:AA:2A
Thanks!

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:02 pm

I don't know if there is any script that would do that, maybe you can ask in that section of the forum.

If you want to use roaming you need to enable FT and FT over DS in your configuration. That you can find in FT tab when you open your configuration.