Community discussions

MikroTik App

ikaruz
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi connection deteriorated with USB device attached

Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:45 pm

Have the following problem: new ax3, was very happy with the device started deploying containers and stuff, so needed more storage, bought a SanDisk USB 3.0 stick with 256 GB storage attached it to the router via USB port, ever since degraded Wifi connectivity. I'm sourcing my internet from a public Hotspot couple hundred meters away (2GHz), with USB stick attached, no connection possible anymore. Like tremendously degraded connectivity. I unplug the stick all fine again. I put it back in, same problem again, the wifi scan jumps from hundreds of discovered 2GHz networks in close proximity to like 10 when the usb stick is attached.

Has anyone ever experienced sth like this? Is this an issue that is worked on? I had this problem with 7.13 and just upgraded to the latest firmware 7.13.2, problem persists.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wifi connection deteriorated with USB device attached

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:30 pm

Internet is full of articles about USB3 interfering WiFi on 2.4GHz. In a nutshell: problem is insufficient shielding of connectors and cables, sometimes even USB devices' printed circuit leaks RF energy into WiFi spectrum. Solution is to use different USB device which is hopefully better designed and made.

Using wifi device in the way you do (connecting to pretty distant AP which means low received signal levels) makes the effect even more prominent. You should be using a device with (highly) directional antenna for uplink, something from wireless systems product group. And kerp using your hAP ax3 as AP (and optionally router, this task can be performed by "wireless system" device as well).

ikaruz
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:40 am

Thank you very much for the explanation, didn't expect this to be a general issue, already thought my device is broken. I read couple of the linked articles seems like a possible solution is also to just move the USB device further away from the router (with usb hub or extension cable), as silly as it sounds. I'll try that first as I want to avoid spending more money on the setup which worked fine in terms of speed and connectivity before attaching the USB stick.

Maybe there's also a todo for the Mikrotik team, this seems like a pretty standard use case for a device with only 128 MB internal storage, so maybe they could add an additional MMC card slot for storage extension if USB 3.0 is problematic, shield the port better against stuff like this or make it manually selectable wether the Port works with USB 2.0 or 3.0 drivers.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:39 am

Maybe there's also a todo for the Mikrotik team, this seems like a pretty standard use case for a device with only 128 MB internal storage, so maybe they could add an additional MMC card slot for storage extension if USB 3.0 is problematic, shield the port better against stuff like this or make it manually selectable wether the Port works with USB 2.0 or 3.0 drivers.

According to feedback, seen in forum, this problem doesn't seem to be particularly frequent on MT devices, so it seems that USB port engineering on MT devices is pretty good (not problematic at least). Specially so as these devices are wireless devices and I guess that engineering team is very well aware of possible problems. However, USB peripherial devices vendors might not all be ware of such things and skip a trick or two. There are some MT devices which do feature (internal) m2. slot. The problem with these connectors is that they cost some money and not all users need them (and hence want to pay the higher price). Price increase doesn't come only from costs of additional parts (ports/connectors), adding such connectivity options often means using different SoC (not all of them support all kinds of peripherial ports), probably with higher price tag as well. And we all love MT devices also for their affordable prices, don't we?

Moving your USB flash stick further away from WiFi AP sounds like a good idea, but you have to use well shielded USB extension cable to do that, otherwise results will be underwhelming.
As I already wrote, your use case seems a bit marginal to me and thus come with some quite particular problems. Which you'll have to solve yourself, not many "boxed" solutions will fit.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 am

Household trick:
wrap the outside part of usb stick in alu foil especially if the case is plastic (likely no shielding).

Doesn't cost much to try.

Other comment:
currently there is a long-standing issue with Sandisk USB3 sticks not being recognized as USB3 on reboot of router (confirmed by support team).
Has something to do with timing of startup.
Sometimes after reboot, stick will be recognized as USB2 and all drive names will be different. Bye bye containers.
USB reset command helps to solve that (after USB reset, device is properly recognized as USB3 again) and then containers will work again.
I've seen it too on my RB5009 but I must say since 7.14 beta it did not happen anymore. Coincidence ? Don't know.

So ... another option for your original problem might be to switch USB stick to other vendor but make sure it has a metal casing. Most likely it is better shielded then.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am

I actually have some little experience with tin foil (you know, I have been manufacturing tin foil hats since the '90's :wink: ).

It is not a good idea to wrap directly the USB stick in tin foil as it may overheat.

It is better if you make a small tube with cardboard that fits loosely around the stick and cover the tube with the aluminium foil, you will need at least 4 or 5 layers of the common kitchen type or 2 or 3 of the (heavier) type used by professionals.

You usually don't need to close the other end of the tube if it s long enough (let's say 10 cm at least).

Or use something like a fizzy orange tube:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/low-cost-shield ... -rtl-sdrs/

ivicask

Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:22 pm

I have completely metal USB 3.0 drive and it still killed 2ghz on my HAP AX3, even if i used 2m USB 3.0 extension cable and moved usb stick drive away from router and even wrapped it completely in aluminium foil, nothing helped.

Solution was to plug it on short USB 2.0 extender cable which killed USB3.0 and issue disappeared.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:30 pm

As alternative to foil, perhaps using a USB cable with a ferrite bead would help.

ikaruz
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:55 pm

Solution was to plug it on short USB 2.0 extender cable which killed USB3.0 and issue disappeared.
I also did this as temporary solution, works, will try the tin foil wrapping of cables and stick at the weekend.

gbtest85
just joined

Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:35 am

Hello, I had this problem today plugging a USB 3.0 HUB in my hAP ax³.
The 2.4 GHz wifi was completely unusable.
Got me crazy, I thought it had fried the Wifi chip but removing it worked fine again.
I even though it was a power issue so I powered externally the HUB but nothing changed, by unplugging it everything works normally again.
For reference this is the HUB, don't buy it if you plan using it in the hAP ax³! Aceele Hub USB 3.0 https://amzn.eu/d/acbis0k

Plugging a SATA to USB enclosure with a SanDisk 240 GB SSD drive works normally.