Community discussions

MikroTik App

heppth
just joined
Topic Author

Access Point Steering

Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:03 pm

Hi,

I assume everyone knows the problem: You have one access point per floor, which are connected via Ethernet. When you switch between floors, you stay connected to the weak AP on the previous floor for a very long time until the end device decides to change the WLAN itself.

Other manufacturers, such as AVM and Devolo, have an access point steering system based on 802.11k and 802.11v. This automatically sends end devices to the better AP. However, this only works if all devices are from the same manufacturer.

I would like to go for Mikrotik completely in the future. Now I'm wondering whether access point steering is possible with Mikrotik if all my APs are from Mikrotik? Is there something planned? Does it already exist and I have overlooked it?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Access Point Steering

Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:41 pm

Yup.
You need wave2 access points ( if new, go with AX devices).
And then capsman for central management.

heppth
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:56 pm

And then capsman for central management.
So capsman will do access point steering, too? I thought it is only for central configuration.

whatever

Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:08 pm

Lower signal strength / tx-power to encourage roaming.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:41 pm

Yes and no.
Some clients will try to hang on an AP only letting it go when they have really no usable signal anymore.
Lowering TX power will make this happen sooner but it will still happen.
Fast Transition ( available in wave2) helps those clients to move over earlier in a controlled way resulting in seamless roaming.

I agree for most applications it is not needed ( not even capsman) but there are cases where it can be helpful.

ips
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:02 am

I'm sharing my experience (also reported at viewtopic.php?t=203935): I have an ax3 and an ax lite, the ax lite is managed as an AP with CAPsMAN by the ax3 and shares the ports as a bridge. I tried to activate FT but, probably due to lack of client support (two Android 10 smartphones and an Ubuntu laptop with an Intel AC card), the user experience was not satisfactory. Disabling FT gave me a 'perfect' roaming experience.

Based on my experience, with the new drivers and CAPsMAN, the overhead of managing the AP with CAPsMAN (which, anyway, is low) has been well worth it.

By the way: my previous setup was (1) router of my ISP + (2) hap ax3. Even with the same SSID the transition took at least 5-8 seconds (3-5 seconds with a bad signal + 2-3 seconds to reconnect).