Community discussions

MikroTik App

arnaldo
Topic Author

How good is PCC with a 1:2 ratio

Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:30 pm

I've been using PCC for load balancing for a few years, and as the IPS for each connection speeds changed over time, I've used several different PCC ratios. Recently I've upgraded to a 1Gbps + 2Gbps and for the first time I'm using a 1:2 ratio.

Before (with ratios like 3:10, 3:5 and others), I was always able to test the "combined" bandwidth but running multiple simultaneous download or upload transfers, and I could get really close to the sum of bandwidth of both connections.

With a 1:2 ratio I can never achieve even close to the sum of the bandwidth. In fact I can only reach exactly the same bandwidth of the faster one (2Gbps).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How good is PCC with a 1:2 ratio

Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:08 pm

PCC decides based on a hash. Is a lot of traffic going to the same destination?

Are you using "both-addresses-and-ports"? Since that may help randomize (at the expensive of potential breaking some services that except same src)?

What I do not know is if you making you double the PCC rules (e.g. ratio 2:4, instead of 1:2) if that would help, AFAIK no but not 100%...

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:21 pm

Is your router capable of pumping more than 2Gbps?

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 pm

So you have 3 times one Gbps speed and it is divided as 1/3 and 2/3. Then you should only connection-mark one third (0/3) of the total traffic and not touch the 2/3 traffic by using PCC.

You are so only marking the traffic going through the 1 Gbps connection and all unmarked traffic should then be routed to the 2 Gbps connection.

Also note that traffic is can be ignored when the receiving end expects to the traffic related is coming from the same IP address. This as AmmO wrote in the his earlier posting.

arnaldo
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:42 pm

I've tried two routers that (iIMHO) fully capable of handling in excess of 3GB:
- A RB009, with a 10G port connected to my internal network, the 2.5G port connected to 2G ISP modem and the 1G ISP modem is connected to a 1G port.
- A x86 based router (R86S box) with 2 SFP+ cages and 3 2.5G ethernet ports. Also connected at 10G to my network and both modems connected to 2.5G etherrnet ports.

So, router performance is not an issue. And the interesting fact is that the result is exactly the same with both routers (I think the R86S is way faster, but it runs very, very hot).

I do use a single hash (for 0/3) and use both-addresses-and-ports.

And I think I've tried 2:4, but I will try interleaving 0/6, 2/6 and 4/6 goes to the same ISP. Maybe.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:32 am

Did you use eth1 to optimise bandwith from the CPU?

arnaldo
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:44 pm

I see where you are coming from, although we are using different routers. The RB5009 has all the Ethernet ports attached to the Marvell switch-chip. So there is no difference on using any of the Ethernet ports on the RB5009. And as I posted, I've tried with a x86 router (a R86S mini system) and the results were the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:04 pm

Is the traffic VPNs/tunnels/etc – e.g. are connections going to small set of destinations on WANs? Or, is the there a lot of general internet traffic flowing (e.g. lots of connections with many different destination IPs). Basically be good to know if the issue is hashing not creating a suitably random distribution... Or... if there is some config issue elsewhere.

I usually use ECMP, which round-robins connections (e.g. 2 routes to ISP1, 1 router to ISP, all with same distance= to get a 2:1 ratio)... but PCC should work, but the math will always calculate same dst wan for particular app/service is why I ask about #connection and concerned about hashing. While in ECMP: more connections, more randomness.

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:39 pm

I posted, I've tried with a x86 router (a R86S mini system) and the results were the same.
Try limiting the 2Gbit ISP to 1Gbit and see how it works. It seems to me that there is a bottle neck for 2Gbit in your network design after all

arnaldo
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:31 pm

I posted, I've tried with a x86 router (a R86S mini system) and the results were the same.
Try limiting the 2Gbit ISP to 1Gbit and see how it works. It seems to me that there is a bottle neck for 2Gbit in your network design after all
I do not think there is any such bottleneck, as I can test the 2Gpbs connection independently and it works fine at the nominal bandwidth. I observe the same for the 1Gbps ISP.

arnaldo
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:50 pm

Is the traffic VPNs/tunnels/etc – e.g. are connections going to small set of destinations on WANs? Or, is the there a lot of general internet traffic flowing (e.g. lots of connections with many different destination IPs). Basically be good to know if the issue is hashing not creating a suitably random distribution... Or... if there is some config issue elsewhere.
I get the same result even when there is no other network traffic. So the problem seem to be with the hash distribution. As for any other configuration issue, I'm reviewing it constantly in search for any problem.

One thing I may try next weekend is to use a very simple config and see if the issue persists.
I usually use ECMP, which round-robins connections (e.g. 2 routes to ISP1, 1 router to ISP, all with same distance= to get a 2:1 ratio)... but PCC should work, but the math will always calculate same dst wan for particular app/service is why I ask about #connection and concerned about hashing. While in ECMP: more connections, more randomness.
If I understand ECMP correctly it will use a "per-src-dst-address combination load balancing" so one will never be able to fully use all the bandwidth for a multiple connections download. Not really easy to accomplish at such speeds, but if downloading from a CDN that is close it may work. With PCC, having the (random) port in the equation may alleviate the issue.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:04 am

Multiple outgoing connections have different SRC-ports so that will divide the streams.

For bandwith tests it will work, real life is a different story.

VPN loves multiple connections because ROS can spread the load over more cores of the CPU.

So if you have 4 cores and 2 connections then you could split in 4 VPN streams instead of the 2 streams this to use the CPU better.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:18 am

If I understand ECMP correctly it will use a "per-src-dst-address combination load balancing" so one will never be able to fully use all the bandwidth for a multiple connections download. Not really easy to accomplish at such speeds, but if downloading from a CDN that is close it may work. With PCC, having the (random) port in the equation may alleviate the issue.
AFAIK, ECMP should round-robin connections in V7 – e.g. the per-src-dst-address was because of the V6 route cache (e.g. older docs here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... MP)_routes).

The new docs don't really say much about ECMP, so hard to now for sure.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:40 pm

There is no reason for PCC not to be working. The full 3Mbits/sec less overhead and some losses should be available for connections. Suspect a config setup issue???

arnaldo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:45 pm

AFAIK, ECMP should round-robin connections in V7 – e.g. the per-src-dst-address was because of the V6 route cache (e.g. older docs here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... MP)_routes).

The new docs don't really say much about ECMP, so hard to now for sure.
Oh!!! That's interesting. Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try, if not, just for getting to know it.

arnaldo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:01 pm

There is no reason for PCC not to be working. The full 3Mbits/sec less overhead and some losses should be available for connections. Suspect a config setup issue???
That's were it gets odd. I will have another 600Mbps around (connected to another Mikrotik. If I use that link, along with the 1Gbps and a 3:5 ratio, it gives me 1.6Gbps. The only config changes are in the PCC rules to setup the 3:5 ratio. Nothing else.

Also:
a) Back to the 2Gbps, I can get the full bandwidth when running without PCC (as the only connection).
b) Same with the 1Gbps.
c) The tester system is connected to the Mikrotik (RB5009) on the 10Gbps
d) I've tested the 10Gbps with an iperf3 container on the Mikrotik and the tester-> Mikrotik gives around 5Gbps (becomes CPU bound on the RB5009).

All that said, it really looks very strange.
The only test I've not performed is to get a space RB5009 and load it with a very simple config (with PCC) and see what happens. But that's is a more complex endeavor. Will see if I can do it over the weekend.

Mesquite

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:40 pm

Without seeing the full config, nothing more we can advise.