Community discussions

MikroTik App

Omerik
Topic Author

Set COUNTRY parameter - WAP ac LTE6

Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am

Goodmorning,

I have the initial setting (default setting of the RouterOS), of country parameter, set as "ETSI".

I'm located in ITALY and I change it, via WEBFIG, to ITALY and set it back to ETSI; it seems that the RouterOS works either way ( I even tried other countries just to see how it reacts).

The question is: is this parameter affecting something in the use of the RouterOS, so it HAVE TO BE set with proper country ?
If I go to Slovenia or Croazia, should I change it to the country I'm in ? Is it mandatory ?

Model RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD
Revision r3
Firmware Type ipq4000L
Current Firmware 6.49.12

Thank again to everibody.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Set COUNTRY parameter - WAP ac LTE6

Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:43 am

It's the owner's responsibility to observe local regulations.

Omerik
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:47 am

Has something to do with power of the WiFi signal ?

This RouterOS will never be inserted/used in any LAN, is a stand alone "system"

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:41 am

Wifi is never standalone.

Unless you put the device in a metal enclosure in which case the lte function will not work either.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Set COUNTRY parameter - WAP ac LTE6  [SOLVED]

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:44 am

Has something to do with power of the WiFi signal ?
Yes.

Essentially there is a limit to radio emissions you are allowed to make, this has nothing to do with whether the device is connected to a LAN or not, it applies also (as an example) to Bluetooth devices.

In a nutshell, any device is limited to 100mW (20 dBm) of emission.

See (italian):
https://www.videosorveglianza.it/store/ ... i-wireless

Omerik
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:04 pm

Thank you holvoetn and jaclaz,

I'll go to learn something more (WiFi protocols and countries allowed standard) according your suggestions.

:!:

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:11 pm

The most important thing in Italy is that you cannot transmit beyond your property with excessive residue,
or create point-to-point connections that cross public land or other private property not of the same starting owner (no mater the power or the scope).
(WISPs and those who can install them pay the appropriate annual license fee to the Mini$t€ro.)
So any do-it-yourself solution to connect multiple non-adhering properties is prohibited,
just as transmitting "interference" into the adjacent apartment (of another owner) is prohibited.

Furthermore, the limit is calculated for the total emitted,
so if the device has, for example, 2 polarization antennas, at most you can transmit at 50mW per antenna, i.e. 100mW total.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:45 pm

I would go even further, saying that noone is going to enter your house and measure the transmitting power, you should make sure to have not too much emissions outside your property.

In theory you could have all your house turned into a huge faraday cage and inside it use much higher transmission power, it would still be illegal, but you would never be caught.

But, as a matter of fact the whole thing - particularly with 5 GHz - is essentially a good thing, as it makes (should make) people having more distributed AP's with lower power, and this usually improves the WiFi connectivity for the users.

Omerik
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:06 pm

Thanks guys,
this router is mainly used in my camper (RV) which is parked at home in the garden; despite this,
it is of great interest to me to delve deeper into the topic of "ROUTING & NETWORK", due to my personal culture.

The network has always interested me,
on top of everything I have a level of personal knowledge "high enough" to understand the informations given to me in order to then study them further and use them (hobby).

Obviously to enter my house you must have a warrant from the Public Prosecutor's Office,
but having said that it is known that the WiFi installed in the apartments are also visible in other apartments ...
just as I see several here in my house.
Being a radio operator (IU3MLY), I am led to explore and try the technical solutions that tickle my mind.
Thanks again guys for your information, it's invaluable.