Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nono
just joined
Topic Author

SIM locked with good PIN

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:46 pm

Hey !

I've got a problem on a Mikrotik Chateau, SIM stay on SIM Locked, but when I try the sim in my phone there is no problem.
Tried on others PIN same problem.

Any idea on "How to debug this kind of problem" ? I'm sure this is the good PIN.

Tried theses AT commands :
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT+CPIN=?"
  output: OK

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT+CPIN=484385541,0000"
  output: +CME ERROR: operation not allowed

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT+csq"
  output: +CSQ: 22,99
          OK

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT+creg"
  output: ERROR

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte at-chat lte1 input="AT+cops=?"
action timed out - try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: SIM locked with good PIN

Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

Maybe is the same issue as this one:
viewtopic.php?t=197621

If you disable and then re-enable the LTE interface it may start working, in the thread there is also a script provided by Mikrotik support to automate it.

Nono
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Maybe is the same issue as this one:
viewtopic.php?t=197621

If you disable and then re-enable the LTE interface it may start working, in the thread there is also a script provided by Mikrotik support to automate it.
Hi jaclaz !

Thks ! This is exactly the same behavior. Script works, but SIM is still in locked mode, and script looping enable/disable without success.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:54 pm

So, it is a problem with the same symptoms but not the same resolution/workaround, so a different problem :? .

No ideas, sorry.

If some other member doesn't come out with other possible tests/solutions within a reasonable time (let's say a couple of days) I think you should open a ticket with Mikrotik support.

Temporarily, if you remove the PIN lock and "open" the SIM, does the device work or do you find any issue in communicating through the SIM?

Nono
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:00 pm

Temporarily, if you remove the PIN lock and "open" the SIM, does the device work or do you find any issue in communicating through the SIM?
How to do that ? Just remove PIN with the arrow ?

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:13 pm

How to do that ?
You put the SIM on a phone and disable the SIM lock (if the connection to the modem on the Mikrotik works it can be done even on the Mikrotik device, but since it seems like it is not working I think you need to do it on another device).

The procedure will be slightly different depending on the phone/Os running, and provider of the SIM, but essentially it is under SIM security or similar, example:
https://techshali.com/remove-sim-pin/

Even if from most of these tutorials/instructions it seems like you are turning off the PIN check on the device, you are actually turning off PIN verification on the SIM card.

Nono
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:34 pm

It works fine !

Many thanks for the workaround !

have a nice day jaclaz :)

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:29 pm

Now you can press this bar to mark your thread as solved.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 pm

Now you can press this bar to mark your thread as solved.
Well, it is not actually solved, if the cylinder of the lock of your front door doesn't open and the locksmith removes the lock, you can now enter your home but so can everyone else.

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:51 am

How many people today steal a SIM card ?
SIM cards locks today do not serve any purpose, because
the mobile phones themselves lock with a different code or face or thumbprint.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:58 am

Yes, you are right, particularly from a modem/router, I believe that theft is rare enough, an hypothetical thief would either steal the whole device or more likely leave the whole stuff alone, still the issue (even if minor or with no practical consequence through the workaround) remains.

I am getting old (and increasingly grumpy) but the fact that the issue exists - even if with no severe consequences - and even if - maybe - it has been solved in 7.13.3 as presumed on the mentioned thread:
viewtopic.php?t=197621
means that the testing of the software by Mikrotik is far from extensive, the impression I get when looking at the late new releases is that they are trying to do too many things all at the same time, introducing so many (new or regression) bugs that I am surprised that so many people are upgrading in production environments.
The number of (in most cases) small/of little relevance bugs that appear, and are fixed, and reappear on any given (minor) release seems impressive to me, I believe that at least these low-impact should be checked, found and fixed before a new release.

The whole stuff reminds me of the broken window theory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory
whether it is effective or not in reducing crime it is debatable, but surely it is more pleasant to walk in cleaned, well maintained and well lit streets.