Community discussions

MikroTik App

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Which devices for a wireless link between two buildings, <100m range ?

Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:40 pm

Hello,

On a remote location, I need to set a temporary point-to-point wireless link between two buildings. The use is for Internet surfing and target throughput is 100Mb/s.

The buildings are quite close to each other (<100m) with clear line of sight.
I currently have no path between the building roofs and the inner Ethernet cabling systems.
I'm tempted to install devices within rooms, pointing to each "though windows".
If possible, device would be fixed to the external face of each window with a single cable passing through.

Which Mikrotik device would you recommend for this ?
Can I expect such link to operate in 5GHz band ?
Suggestions ?

Best regards

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Which devices for a wireless link between two buildings, <100m range ?

Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:19 pm

100 Mbit/s should be achievable with 300 Mbit/s devices.

Cheapest would probably be a pair of SXTsq Lite2:
https://mikrotik.com/product/sxtsq_lite2
or of SXTsq Lite5:
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBSXTsq5nD
and the devices themselves are intended for pole mounting but they should be suitable for "panel/wall" mounting with some home made mounting bracket (but I would first try what happens from inside the windows).
Choosing a 2.4GHz or a 5GHz model is up to you, if you are in a remote location without the possibility of radio interferences I don't think the chosen frequency will make a difference.

The 2.4GHz might have a slight advantage if you put it inside the window, according to this:
https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/he ... annel.html

you can expect 3dB attenuation at 2.4GHz and 7dB attenuation at 5 GHz (give or take 1 dB).

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:16 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I agree SXTsq Lite2 or SXTsq Lite5 seem to fit.

m4rk3J
just joined

Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:26 am

If you manage to install the devices outside, then definitely choose 60 GHz. It's a cheap solution, actually gives 900+ Mbps and it is future-proof.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:11 pm

If you manage to install the devices outside, then definitely choose 60 GHz. It's a cheap solution, actually gives 900+ Mbps and it is future-proof.
Well, prices from Mikrotik official site:
SXTsq Lite2 $39
SXTsq Lite5 $46

The 60 GHz devices are all $ 149 and up, in a "remote" location there should be not issues with interferences, 100 m is a short distance, and 100 Mb/s is not that high a requirement so going for the "lite" lower frequencies device is around 1/3 th of the cost for the (better) 60 GHz solution, 80-90 vs. 300.

The sxtsq5ac is $65 and offers better speeds (at 5GHz), still 1/2 the cost of the 60 GHz solution, maybe it is better compromise for the intended use. :?:

Given it is temporary use, I would rather try risking the 80-90 or 130 bucks, even if they don't work in the intended setup. the low frequency devices are more likely to be re-usable in other projects/setups, while the 60 GHz devices can only be used in couples.

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:13 pm

I agree.

The key is to have:
a way to route a cable from the outside to the inside (an extra flat PoE compatible Ethernet cable ?)
a mean to mount the device

A couple of years ago, I installed two Mikrotik dishes (I don't remember the product model nor the radio band) between 2 buildings (70m or so) and was surprised to get throughput well above 700 Mb/s.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:37 pm

a way to route a cable from the outside to the inside (an extra flat PoE compatible Ethernet cable ?)
Here you are:
https://fiz-tech.net/products/rj45-flat ... oe-capable
https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=10072

No idea how well it can work, and you will need anyway some waterproof box outside, on the sill.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:57 am

Mesquite

Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:10 am

+1 Concur with gotsprings. What could be easier then a wifi switch, on a diff spectrum from all the other 2.4 and 5ghz noise.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:56 am

Definitely 60Ghz at this distance. Any 60G product from Mikrotik.
As a holder use this: https://www.i4wifi.eu/en/235593-drzak-w ... delka-40cm
and place the antenna behind the window

goodbye

Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:23 pm

Everyone talking about 60GHz, even just the basic Wireless Wire kit for this distance, are absolutely right in line for "what I would do", however, it deserves to be mentioned that this could be frustrating/problematic if there would be anything between the two antennas.
60GHz, while wonderful in many ways, when it works anyhow, is incredibly sensitive to any form of blockages, and even air is "in the way" of this spectrum (which is why it's so range-limited even with highly directional antennas).
Leaves? Nope. Need a completely unobstructed view. Even glass/windows will severely degrade a 60GHz signal (it reflects and absorbs far more than passes through it.
Rain? Nope. If you're in Florida, as an example, you're guaranteed to be down for at least a few minutes every day at a minimum.
Fog? Nope... or at least severely degraded.
As such, if this needs to work more reliably and you only actually need 100mbps between the buildings, using more a more conventional directional 5GHz AC/AX solution will likely leave you a lot less troubled. Heck, a highly-directional 2GHz N solution would get close to that 100Mbps requirement and punch right through light vegetation like it's not even there.
There are 60GHz kits that include a 5GHz/AC backup in parallel in the same units. That is an easy recommendation for situations that need a reliable connection, will benefit from the increased throughput of a 60GHz solution when it's up, and automatically still "continue to work" in an acceptable way when 60GHz is too degraded. But, if you're not actually going to benefit from a gigabit-link... skip it, honestly.

A last note on safety and installation:
If you've never been involved with outdoor installations before then please do some reading and/or watch some videos first. Lightning protection and general grounding is not optional if you care about either or both of non-living things and living entities. Do not make excuses about temporary solutions for this... "the quick fix sticks" and it's easy to not get back to it to fix it right.
Further, indoor cabling won't at all last when exposed to the sun and elements. Proper outdoor, weather-rated cable isn't optional for anything that needs to last more than a few weeks. Also, drip loops... lol
If this is a very temporary situation, then with 2.4GHz and probably 5GHz, you can get away with just pointing the antennas at each other through windows... that way you don't need to worry about "all of that" above. :-)

Mesquite

Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:52 pm

Hi Goodbye,
I would hope that MT is not making claims of 1gig at 200 meteres, in filtered or sterilized air '=)
Even worse, results in a vacuum chamber!!

If you look at their brochure for the wireless wire, it even shows the diagram of both antennas pointing at each other through windows.
Certainly if you have metal braided windows, that would be a non starter.

Note the OP stated: " with clear line of sight."

mszru
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:49 pm

My temporary wireless bridge that will hopefully inspire you:

wireless_wire_cube_33.png

I use Wireless Wire Cube - 60 GHz with 5 GHz AC backup connection.
As you can see, that's indoor installation and the distance between the units is about 230 m. There are no obstacles except for window glass of course.

Energy saving glass on one end of the wireless link renders the solution almost inoperable. 60 GHz radio modules cannot connect at all and the throughput of 5 GHz backup link (with 90% uptime) is less than 15 Mbps. If the energy-saving window is open the units establish full speed connection at 60 GHz. So pay attention to the type of glass in your windows.

The "mast" for devices is assembled from 32 mm drainage plastic pipe and 1.5 kg dumbbell weight plate :)

What I like about this particular model is the wide operating voltage range: 12-57 V. In my case it is powered by 12V mini-UPS via included PoE injector and 40 m Cat-5 cable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mesquite

Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:48 pm

Thanks for the real world example. That unit can also be mounted outside,drill hole through wall for cable, attach a lightning filter (outside - https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgesp ) or two ( and inside - https://ca.store.ui.com/ca/en/collectio ... -protector) and still possible. When there is a will there is a way.