Community discussions

MikroTik App

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

hAP ac as a managed switch

Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:23 am

I was given an hAP ac, and I want to operate it as a switch, no routing functions. I want ether5 to be a member of VLAN30, which already exists on my network. I've read lots in the WiKi about this, but have had no luck so far. Some simple guidance would be appreciated, possibly just pointing to the correct wiki or help section.

Thanks for any help.

Mesquite

Re: hAP ac as a managed switch

Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:08 am

Read this post ( the config for the attempt at a switch setup ) and pay attention to the corrections!! ( post #2)
viewtopic.php?t=204967

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac as a managed switch

Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:41 am

I found some Help here:

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... cessPorts)

I had to play around with the definitions of Access and Trunk ports, but I got this to work. The device I want to be on VLAN 30 is connected to ether5. The port leading to my local LAN and router Ether1. Please see the images below.

I set this up on the hAP ac and it worked well. The instruction in the above link state that a similar configuration should work on an RB951. The 951 switch chip should be capable of doing this. I tried configuring a 951 from scratch, but could not get it to work.

Can anyone explain the two experiments I did? The hAP ac DOES work. Did I just get lucky?

Thanks for your advice.
Switch VLAN.jpg
Switch Port.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.