Community discussions

MikroTik App

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Wire Cube (Preconfigured) Plug 'n' Play...Doesn't

Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:45 pm

I know I'm missing something! I purchased the preconfigured Wireless Wire CubeG-5ac60aypair to replace an urgently needed bridge that went down. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the system to work. Help!
I connected one cube to a port on the router using the accompanying PoE injector, and the other cube to a laptop (also via the PoE). I'm testing the cubes only a few meters apart and assuming that the LEDs show signal strength, the connection appears to be excellent.
I also assume the Ethernet port on the laptop then should show a connection to the network, but it does not; it does not even recognize that anything is plugged in.
None of the documentation indicates whether one cube is the "master," but I have swapped them with the same results.
Despite my wanting the cubes to be "plug 'n' play," I went ahead and downloaded the Winbox application, but it doesn't recognize the cubes (based on the default IP addresses listed in the documentation).
Unfortunately, the vendor only does email support, and before I go ahead and email MikroTik directly, I thought I would throw my question out here.
I'm trying desperately to get a radio station studio-to-transmitter-link back on line. Any help will be welcome!

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Wireless Wire Cube (Preconfigured) Plug 'n' Play...Doesn't

Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 pm

Despite my wanting the cubes to be "plug 'n' play," I went ahead and downloaded the Winbox application, but it doesn't recognize the cubes (based on the default IP addresses listed in the documentation).
The Winbox (normally) can "see" directly connected devices both by IP and by MAC.

Which OS is the laptop running?
Windows 10 and 11 may have their firewall or the network set as "public" (default) instead of "private" interfering with Winbox connection.
Besides, disable (temporarily) the laptop wireless interface as there are reports of "confusing" Winbox and Netinstall.
A workaround worth a try would be Safe mode, a list of possible things to check and try is here:
viewtopic.php?t=173463

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:40 pm

jaclaz,

Thank you for your reply! It is an older Win 10 laptop, and the first thing I did was turn off the its built-in WiFi; I will check the firewall and try again.
Should these cubes have worked straightaway? One of the reasons I chose the preprogrammed units was so I wouldn't have to tackle a new learning curve!

spippan

Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:58 pm

jaclaz,

Thank you for your reply! It is an older Win 10 laptop, and the first thing I did was turn off the its built-in WiFi; I will check the firewall and try again.
Should these cubes have worked straightaway? One of the reasons I chose the preprogrammed units was so I wouldn't have to tackle a new learning curve!

yes the "xy wireles wire" stuff is shipped preconfigured as a transparent L2 bridge with encryption with a random PSK (CubeG-5ac60ayPAIR indicating that)

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:18 am

Update:
By using MAC addresses instead of IP, I apparently was able to connect to both the master and the slave cubes via Winbox, but then I'm a stranger in a strange land. I'm an analog audio guy stumbling through the networking world, and again that's why I purchased the units preconfigured (indeed, the ID says "CubeG-5ac60aypair-US"). Clearly the cubes "see" each other, but I'm stuck on how to proceed to create a bridge from Building "A" to Building "B" so I can send a digital audio stream from the studio to the transmitter.

I have set up several Ubiquiti bridges without problem, but the MikroTek gear looks really solid and I really want it to work!

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:35 am

Well, they should have been plug-and-play... The sticker is vague on which one is the "ap" (master) and "station" (slave) - but it shouldn't matter. I'd email Mikrotik it's not good the "kit" did work out of the box - it should. To speed the process, connect to each of the units with winbox and do the "Make Supout.rif" then from Files download the supout.rif. The should have the info Mikrotik needs - so attach it to an email to support@mikrotik.com with description of problem (and link to your forum post).

I suspect the version it shipped with is older and had some bug is why this doesn't work. The version is in the window title of Winbox & latest version is now 7.13.5. You can try upgrading them "manually" see: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ualupgrade . This may actually be more complex, so if the upgrade does not get you 7.13.5... check the logs... you likely need also copy the wireless.npk from ZIP file with "extra-packages" on the download package — packages changed in 7.13 but not sure what right package is for the wireless wire things.

Once upgraded to "stable", if still does not work. Try a System > Reset Configuration, which should apply newer default settings. If that doesn't work, well, still fixable just complex since you have to configure it from scratch.

If you want more help here, you can open terminal and do ":export file=config.rsc". Again in Files from left in winbox, download the config.rsc. But if time is urgent, figure out how to upgrade it be the first move.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:53 am

@Amm0
With all due respect, I disagree with updating to latest stable before knowing for sure if it can make a difference, the OP is not a longtime expert on Mikrotik and directing him to the complications of updating the OS and the possibility that some settings need to be changed just because the version is changed seems risky to me.

Creating the supout.rif and asking Mikrotik's support seems to me a better choice, though probably it will take some time to get an answer.

@radiobob
Now that you can access the devices, do create and post the /export of both, follow the instructions in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=203686#p1051720

Maybe something in those needs a little modification and some forum members may be able to spot it.
The "main" parts of the configuration should be the ones posted here:
viewtopic.php?t=170983#p841316
so, unless something has changed the devices (their bridges that include both ether1 and bond1 interfaces) should have an IP address, 192.168.88.2/24 and 192.168.88.3/24 (other Mikrotik devices usually have 192.168.88.1/24 by default, so it makes sense). If you set your Windows nic to (say) 192.168.88.10/255.255.255.0 you should be able to ping/access them by IP.

Then, likely, you might want to change these addresses to your network ones and/or if you have a DHCP network, you need to add a DHCP client to the bridge, as seen here:
viewtopic.php?t=202117

But it is strange, if the factory setting - as spippan posted - is that of a "transparent L2 bridge", IP addresses should not be relevant for the actual Wireless bridge to work, only for accessing the devices by IP.

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm

@radiobob
Now that you can access the devices, do create and post the /export of both, follow the instructions in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=203686#p1051720
@jaclaz
Thanks for the "map" on how to navigate this jungle! As it turns out, Winbox was not connecting directly with the respective Cubes; when I rebooted my laptop, it automatically restarted its local WiFi connection to the router. When I shut WiFi off on the laptop, Winbox attempts, but fails to connect. Nonetheless, I think we may have some progress:

MASTER
# jan/03/1970 00:39:00 by RouterOS 6.49.8
# software id = XXXX-XXXX
#
# model = CubeG-5ac60ay
# serial number = XXXXXXXX
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=78:9A:18:XX:XX:XX auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-XXXX disabled=no frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=\
    bridge ssid=MikroTik-67ceee
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=bridge name=wlan60-1 password=6a04-8480 ssid=\
    MikroTik-67ceee
/interface w60g station
add comment=defconf mac-address=04:CE:14:F7:48:08 name=wlan60-station-1 \
    parent=wlan60-1 remote-address=04:CE:14:F7:47:E7
/interface bonding
add comment=defconf mode=active-backup name=bond1 primary=wlan60-station-1 \
    slaves=wlan60-station-1,wlan1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk comment=defconf \
    disable-pmkid=yes mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=6a04-8480
/port
set 0 name=gps
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=bond1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.2/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=\
/system gps
set port=gps

SLAVE
# jan/03/1970 00:46:14 by RouterOS 6.49.8
# software id = FXXX-XXXX
#
# model = CubeG-5ac60ay
# serial number = HF3XXXXXXX
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=78:9A:18:67:ZZ:ZZ auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-XXXX disabled=no frequency=auto installation=outdoor mode=\
    station-bridge ssid=MikroTik-67ceee
/interface w60g
set [ find ] disabled=no mode=station-bridge name=wlan60-1 password=6a04-8480 \
    ssid=MikroTik-67ceee
/interface bonding
add comment=defconf mode=active-backup name=bond1 primary=wlan60-1 slaves=\
    wlan60-1,wlan1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk comment=defconf \
    disable-pmkid=yes mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=6a04-8480
/port
set 0 name=gps
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=bond1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.3/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=\
/system gps
set port=gps
The bright side of all this is, rain is predicted for the next several days so even if I get the cubes "talking" to one another, there will be no immediate roof-climbing for this particular old guy.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:49 pm

And, good call on not upgrading. It's hard to know what version Mikrotik uses...these V6 – while newest version is V7 but various releases have had bugs in 60G...
But V6 hasn't changed... more of mystery why this does not just work.

My only thought is the "hidden default"* in the config is the default for a bridge is to use RSTP for loop detection. So if these are going to some enterprise switch, or anything with some "BPDU Guard" feature will disable the port. e.g. while they technically "bridge"....to a larger network the Cube's usage of RSTP means the look like a 2 port switch internally & some gear (Cisco) will disable switches on access ports.

What have you connect them to test? – e.g. if it normal home router and a laptop connect to Cube, it should just work.

* :export verbose file=xxx.rsc will output all settings including defaults - but what you have look right – the Cube's do bonding to deal with 5Ghz failover

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 pm

What have you connect them to test? – e.g. if it normal home router and a laptop connect to Cube, it should just work.
The exact setup!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOqiPt ... drive_link

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:12 pm

@jaclaz
If you set your Windows nic to (say) 192.168.88.10/255.255.255.0 you should be able to ping/access them by IP.
I just tried a different laptop, a different Ethernet cable and set its network card as suggested; results are the same: "Ethernet cable unplugged" and pings to Cube IP address time out. I wonder if I'm dealing with hardware issues....

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:21 pm

I am not convinced.
You have two devices and both have the same hardware defect on ether1?
Improbable.
You managed to access them from Wi-Fi, this should mean that the unit on the router side is working.
Or at least Winbox (via MAC) had access as you could export/save the configuration of both devices.
The connection that has worked should have been:
Laptop->home Wi-Fi ->router->ether1 of cube#1->cube wireless bridge->cube#2
Then if you try to access via ethernet from the laptop that unit it should be pingable.
If BOTH units are not pingable when laptop with static IP address in the right subnet is connected via cable to ether1 would mean that both devices have the same issue OR that *something* is "wrong" in the laptop, which is still IMHO more probable.

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 am

@jaclaz

I agree; highly improbable! Two different laptops, each temporarily set with a static IP address of 192.168.88.10 / subnet 255.255.255.0, when plugged into the "slave" (192.168.88.3), each PC shows Ethernet disconnected. I will try and see what happens when I hook a PC directly to the "master" using the above config. Meanwhile, it's more than a little maddening. Thanks!

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:36 am

I'm not ready to mark it solved just yet, but...
I think I may have coaxed the system into working! One of the two laptops I was testing with was definitely in trouble. You could set a static IP address and it would forget it.
Anyway, I tried one more time using my "good" laptop with a static IP address of 192.168.88.10 and hooked the Master (192.168.88.2) directly to the computer (bypassing the router temporarily) and was able to ping the cube! (Previously it showed "Ethernet disconnected"). I then hooked the Slave back up to the laptop, and was able to ping 192.168.88.3, AND the Master on 192.168.88.2!
I then reset the laptop back to having a dynamic IP assigned by the router and...it connected to the Internet!
Now Winbox sees and can connect via IP addresses as well as MAC.

I have no idea what changed; everything is back as it was when I first tested the system! I'm going to let it "cook" overnight with hopes that some miracle cure has taken place. I don't begin to understand it, but I won't argue with success!

More to follow....

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Wireless Wire Cube (Preconfigured) Plug 'n' Play...Doesn't  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:05 pm

Maybe it is just (ordinary) voodoo :shock: .
Given the number of issues reported (not only related to Mikrotik) about networking with Windows 10 and WIndows 11, I would believe that the Windows OS (or one of its services, or some crappy other program by the notebook manufacturer) interferes with *something*, like deciding that the manually set IP/netmask is not a good one or intercepting this or that packet, or a not reliable network, etc..
But I wouldn't completely rule out some "rare" quirk of the Mikrotik device that wants to be pinged/accessed at least once to start working (as if it was in some sort of "sleep" state).
Hopefully it will continue to work just fine and we will never know the real cause.

radiobob
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:22 pm

So far, so good! I disconnected the "slave" from the (working) laptop and moved it into another room and hooked it to the Ethernet port of a desktop PC. It took a few moments for the computer to recognize the new network, but now it works like a champ. Rain in the forecast for the next several days, but the moment I can safely climb on the roofs of the respective buildings, the Cubes are going into place.

Many thanks to all! :D