MikroTik App

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

ipv6 issues with hEX S RB760iGS

Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:31 am

Hi,

I'm almost certainly making a fundamental error but I can't see where ipv6
can be configured on my new hEX S RB760iGS. Software version is MikroTik RouterOS 6.49.13.

Is it available in this version? in the terminal, when I try to use ping6:

bad command name ping6 (line 1 column 1)

What do I need to do?

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Re: ipv6 issues with hEX S RB760iGS

Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:01 am

solved it with a bit more reading ;)

/system package enable ipv6

then reboot. It's not enabled by default.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:48 pm

On ROS v6, ipv6 package is optional and by default it's not even installed (it has to be downloaded from mikrotik download page in extras archive, unpacked and uploaded to device). And since it's installed later than the rest of system, default setup doesn't get applied (that only gets applied when configuration is reset to factory defaults and it includes all optional packages installed and enabled at that particular time). After a package is installed, it's automatically enabled as well.

So somebody did some job regarding IPv6 on your device. And very likely it's completely unconfigured (meaning no IPv6 firewall, etc.). Or it's configured to certain extent, but if you didn't do the work so far by yourself, you can't rely on any if config that might be present. Either way, draw your own conclusions.

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:05 pm

You're right, ipv6 wasn't there at all, I had to install it.
Found I couldn't configure it, so went with osv7 which apparently has better support.
It's still not configured properly though, see my other thread viewtopic.php?t=205139

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:05 pm

If you went from v6 to v7 via upgrade, then upgrade process converts existing config. Since IPv6 config was empty, it remained empty after upgrade. Upgrade never applies default config.

You can see default config (including IPv6) by running command /system/default-configuration/print inside a really wide terminal window. You can copy-paste it to get something to work on.

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:18 am

It wasn't empty before upgrade. What happened was this:

1. bought router - it has routeros 6
2. no ipv6, so install ipv6
3. tried to configure it and failed to get a working config
4. upgraded to routeros7
5. still failing to get a working config
You can see default config (including IPv6) by running command /system/default-configuration/print inside a really wide terminal window.
Thanks, that's useful to know.

CGGXANNX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:40 am

Most importantly, don't forget to copy the IPv6 firewall rules from the default configuration. If you don't intend to use IPSEC with IPv6, you can disable the rules related to ipsec and ESP, AH to save CPU resources. IPv6 has no fasttrack supports in RouterOS so expect that the routing performance of your hEX S will be limited at around 280 Mbps when using IPv6.

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:12 pm

I thought there was no default firewall config for ipv6 on routerOS? Mind you, I didn't note the date of the documents I
read. They might have been old.

There was nothing in the ipv6 firewall section. I wanted to protect the RB760 itself and only itself
as the connected machines have their own firewalls and policies. So I made the following rule:
ipv6-firewall.png
and then scanned the ND ::1 via http://www.ipv6scanner.com/cgi-bin/main.py

...which produced "filtered" for all common ports :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CGGXANNX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:25 pm

I thought there was no default firewall config for ipv6 on routerOS? Mind you, I didn't note the date of the documents I
read. They might have been old.

There was nothing in the ipv6 firewall section. I wanted to protect the RB760 itself and only itself
as the connected machines have their own firewalls and policies. So I made the following rule:

ipv6-firewall.png

and then scanned the ND ::1 via http://www.ipv6scanner.com/cgi-bin/main.py

...which produced "filtered" for all common ports :D
There are default IPv6 firewall rules for the default configuration, if you reset the router's configuration in RouterOS7, or in RouterOS6 with the IPv6 package installed. The rules look similar to those here, but not identical: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... d+Firewall. For instance, the raw rules are not used. When you run the command

/system default-configuration print

as suggested by @mkx, you can see these rules included in the output. That's what you should copy if you don't want to reset your router back to the default configuration.

ipv6-filters.png

The single rule from your screenshot is not good enough, because it blocks all IPv6 WAN communications of your router, it blocks all responses, not just incoming connections, and doesn't protect clients in your LAN network, which use the chain "forward". IPv6 addresses in your LAN will be accessible from the internet with no protection. Also please note that ICMP is very important for a functional IPv6 and should not be blindly blocked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:20 pm

The single rule from your screenshot is not good enough, because it blocks all IPv6 WAN communications of your router, it blocks all responses, not just incoming connections, and doesn't protect clients in your LAN network, which use the chain "forward". IPv6 addresses in your LAN will be accessible from the internet with no protection. Also please note that ICMP is very important for a functional IPv6 and should not be blindly blocked.
I don't want ipv6 firewall rules on the router at all for clients on the ext-LAN, as each client has their own firewall and policies and services.
They need to be directly accessible from the internet. Same goes for ipv4.

I *want* to block all connections from the internet to services on the router only, but I *also* want to access those services from my LAN,
hence the !LAN rule. These two things are my primary concern. I'm not bothered if I can't ping from the router itself. (but see edit)

edit: I'm wondering how the ipv6 got started in the first place. Probably because I enabled the rule after ipv6 started working, and haven't rebooted it since. in other words, yeah I realise ipv6 probably won't work after I reboot unless I sort the rules out effectively, at least for icmpv6, because, as you rightly point out, in v6 icmp is a requirement for it to work.

CGGXANNX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:54 pm

Then you can probably ignore the MikroTik's default rules for the forward chain (but it's still good to block forwarding for packets with source or destination in the "bad_ipv6" list). As for the input chain, if you block everything not from the LAN interface list, DHCPv6 prefix delegation won't work because that requires that the router accepts incoming UDP packets on port 546 from the link-local address range on the WAN interface. So, you should include at least the line with the comment "defconf: accept DHCPv6-Client prefix delegation." in front of your drop-all input rule.

I still think it's not bad to copy the rules from the chain "input", and remove the rules related to IKE/ipsec/esp/ah if you want. If you need to disable ICMPv6 echo (ping) but still allow the other vital types, you can copy the raw rules from the bottom of this page and disable the raw icmp6 echo rules https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... v6RAWRules. But IMHO there is no needs to block ICMPv6 echo to your router.

rb760igs
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:38 pm

So, you should include at least the line with the comment "defconf: accept DHCPv6-Client prefix delegation." in front of your drop-all input rule.
ok, done that. In the web frontend, it appears under the "raw" tab and not under "Filter Rules"
I still think it's not bad to copy the rules from the chain "input", and remove the rules related to IKE/ipsec/esp/ah if you want.
good idea
If you need to disable ICMPv6 echo (ping) but still allow the other vital types, you can copy the raw rules from the bottom of this page and disable the raw icmp6 echo rules https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... v6RAWRules. But IMHO there is no needs to block ICMPv6 echo to your router.
I agree. it also makes things like netdiag difficult if esp. ipv6 icmp is blocked