Community discussions

MikroTik App

norepto
Topic Author

CSS610 Multicast IGMP-Snooping parameters

Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:02 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone knows the values of the IGMP-Snooping on a CSS610. I have some of them connected to a Huawei S67xx and i need to check if the paremeters are the same:

IGMP Snooping is Enabled
IGMP Version is Set to default 2
IGMP Query Interval is Set to default 125s
IGMP Max Response Interval is Set to default 10s
IGMP Robustness is Set to default 2
IGMP Last Member Query Interval is Set to default 1s
IGMP Router Port Aging Interval is Set to 180s or holdtime in hello
IGMP Filter Group-Policy is not set
IGMP Prompt Leave Disable
IGMP Host-based Prompt Leave Disable
IGMP Router Alert is Not Required
IGMP Send Router Alert Enable
IGMP Proxy Disable
IGMP Report Suppress Disable
IGMP Suppress Time is set to default 10 seconds
IGMP Querier Disable
IGMP Router Port Learning Enable
IGMP SSM-Mapping Disable
IGMP Limit Action Disable
IGMP Suppress-dynamic-join Disable

I'm doing a IPTV distribution using multicast. I have another switches "edgeswitch" without any problems but with the CSS610 sometimes the image stop for 2 or 3 seconds.

Thank you.

orfeous
just joined

Re: CSS610 Multicast IGMP-Snooping parameters

Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:00 pm

IGMP version 3 might be required..
IGMP-Proxy can be used as well.
There should be a IGMP Querier aswell..

I do not know any details or deeper about this. The info are just some ive jumped on to.

norepto
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:20 am

The querier is in another switch s6730 but the css610 needs to be working with the ver2? anybody knows the details of the right values? ty.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:48 pm

the css610 needs to be working with the ver2? anybody knows the details of the right values?

IGMPv3 simply adds features to v2, without breaking compatibility. However, the rules of the protocol are that any IGMPv3 device that sees a v2 packet is supposed to shift into v2 mode, using no v3 features. If your IPTV system depends on v3 features, having v2 enabled anywhere on the network might be a problem.

That said, the only stacks I know of that obey this requirement of the RFCs are the BSD ones, including macOS and iOS. I'm certain Windows ignores this rule, and I never have bothered to look into Linux to find out what it does.

Personally, I simply make it a rule to set v3 everywhere. I leave open the option of setting it to v2 everywhere if someone tells me it must be v2 instead on that LAN for some blinkered legacy reason, but no one has ever done that, probably because v2 is really freakin' old by now.

I doubt this is the cause of your symptom, though. Me, I'd be betting on that 1 second querier timeout. That's pestering, is what that is; toddlers on speed aren't that annoying. Dial that back a bit.