MikroTik App

mikronoob89
just joined
Topic Author

L3HW traffic monitoring

Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:40 am

Hi dears.
Partial noon here :)

I implemented the L3HW on the CCR2216. It works great! My CPU dropped to near zero percent from 72 percent!!

But now I lost the ability to monitor my subinterface traffics. I work in an ISP and is mandatory for me to monitor my traffic on "per-user" basis.

I have only one 100G interface for both up and downstream traffic.

I tried mirroring the traffic to CPU. Then the monitoring works, but the CPU goes up again. What's the solution for this?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L3HW traffic monitoring

Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 am

There is no solution for this. L3HW offload implementation doesn't provide any detailed statistics, so if you need it, then ... well, you unfortunately can't use L3HW offload.

raimondsp
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:41 am

Hi,

What's the problem with mirroring? It increases CPU usage since packets enter the CPU. However, unlike the software routing, the CPU does not throttle the performance in the case of mirroring. For instance, if the CPU can handle 10G while the actual traffic rate is 50G, all 50G will get hardware-routed while only 10G gets mirrored to the CPU (the rest is tail-dropped from CPU queues). But if you need to monitor 100% traffic, then I see no other way but disabling L3HW and throttling bandwidth down to the CPU capabilities.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:31 am

Hi raimondsp

Hardware level traffic sampling on the Marvell ASIC's to netflow/sflow would be the optimal solution, to quote you "Hardware traffic sampling and QoS are the next major features that we consider implementing after the finalization of IPv6 L3HW. "

Is this still on the high priority list ?

It will allow exporting of flow information to DDoS systems well as well as flow accounting systems like nfacct that are widely used.

mikronoob89
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:10 am

Hi,

What's the problem with mirroring? It increases CPU usage since packets enter the CPU. However, unlike the software routing, the CPU does not throttle the performance in the case of mirroring. For instance, if the CPU can handle 10G while the actual traffic rate is 50G, all 50G will get hardware-routed while only 10G gets mirrored to the CPU (the rest is tail-dropped from CPU queues). But if you need to monitor 100% traffic, then I see no other way but disabling L3HW and throttling bandwidth down to the CPU capabilities.
Hi. Sorry for late reply. I didn't check the email :)

I tried mirroring it too. The CPU went to 70% again. I don't get it.

mikronoob89
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:13 am

There is no solution for this. L3HW offload implementation doesn't provide any detailed statistics, so if you need it, then ... well, you unfortunately can't use L3HW offload.
Hi.

Dear, do you know if it is on the "to-do list" of Mikrotik developers?

raimondsp
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:45 am

Hi raimondsp

Hardware level traffic sampling on the Marvell ASIC's to netflow/sflow would be the optimal solution, to quote you "Hardware traffic sampling and QoS are the next major features that we consider implementing after the finalization of IPv6 L3HW. "

Is this still on the high priority list ?

It will allow exporting of flow information to DDoS systems well as well as flow accounting systems like nfacct that are widely used.

Hey there,

We are currently finalizing hardware QoS implementation. I wouldn't say traffic sampling is the next big feature in line, but it is on the roadmap.