Community discussions

MikroTik App

od29
just joined
Topic Author

VLANs / CAPsMANv2 / local datapath

Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 pm

I have 2 master and 4 slave wifi interfaces being dynamically created on each of the 25 cAP ax units; being provisioned and managed from the CAPsMAN. This part is working beautifully.

Problem is with getting those dynamic interfaces added to an interface-list on each cAP so that they can be dynamically added to the /bridge/port (one interface-list per VLAN is added to /bridge/port)

I am using local datapath mode (traffic is NOT forwarded to the CAPsMAN)

/interface/wireless/datapath.interface-list exists on the CAPsMAN but that is for managed datapath mode only (datapath.local-forwarding, forward all data to the CAPsMAN).

Adding / Removing the dynamic interfaces via scripting on each cAP doesn't seem like an option because properties assigned to an interface via CAPsMAN are not readable by script (they are displayed only with ;; notation on the console)

There is /interface/wireless/cap.static-virtual option, and I could probably get that working, but it doesn't feel correct because everything else is managed through the CAPsMAN currently - and if I need to change the wireless interfaces, I would need to manually reconfigure each of the 25 access points. Even using the same script on each would be risky since it is dependant upon each cAP having each interface named identically. I am hoping for a better way.

Probably I have to look at using datapath.forwarding=yes - but I am unsure on what implications that will have, or if that is advisable.

Thanks

Dan

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLANs / CAPsMANv2 / local datapath

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:03 pm

What, from functionality point of view, are you trying to do?

ips
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:31 pm

Which version are you using?
Isn't local forwarding the only possible choice in capsman v2?

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:25 am

Yes there is no tunneled mode anymore in v2.

For adding slaves to bridge at CAP, I think you need to create a datapath on each CAP, pointing to whichever bridge, and then under WiFi -> CAP, set 'slaves datapath' to that datapath.
Then the slaves will be added to that bridge.

I think so anyway.. I am still getting familiar with WiFi / capsman v2.

od29
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:00 am

What, from functionality point of view, are you trying to do?
Trying to get my dynamic wifi interfaces added to the bridge, along with bridge port VLAN configuration.
Which version are you using?
Isn't local forwarding the only possible choice in capsman v2?
Running the latest - 7.14 on the capsman device (a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+) and all the caps are ax (cAPGi-5HaxD2HaxD)

I realized that I was looking at the documentation for the OLD capsman - not the new wifi capsman. So confusing.

In the examples they give, they are configuring the VLAN on the CAPsMAN datapath - but on the cap they are configuring the datapath without. Doesn't make sense to me.
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... iFiCAPsMAN
For adding slaves to bridge at CAP, I think you need to create a datapath on each CAP, pointing to whichever bridge, and then under WiFi -> CAP, set 'slaves datapath' to that datapath.
Then the slaves will be added to that bridge.

I think so anyway.. I am still getting familiar with WiFi / capsman v2.
Sounds like I am going to have to do more playing with it.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:34 am

In the examples they give, they are configuring the VLAN on the CAPsMAN datapath - but on the cap they are configuring the datapath without. Doesn't make sense to me.
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... iFiCAPsMAN
I believe this functionality came later, to pass along the VLAN id from CAPsMAN to CAP. but, the datapath and bridge have to exist on the CAP I think. Basically if you are doing your own CAP (AP) configuration, instead of doing the 'hold reset button to set as CAP default config', then there are things you have to take care of that you didn't used to have to do with v1. This is what caught me out, because I usually set up myself instead of relying on default config from reset.