Community discussions

MikroTik App

DrCure
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Bridge with hAP AX3

Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:18 pm

Hi guys!
I have a hAP AX3 (RouterOS 7.13.5) and my previous router - hAP AC (RouterOS 6.49.13).
I use hAP AX3 as my home network router and WiFi access point and it works well. It's pretty much in a default configuration from QuickSet with some extras (like VPN tunel). Sometime I need to connect extra devices but I cannot reach them by wire ethernet, so I would like to use hAP AC as a repeater: hAP AX3 <--wireless-->hAP AC<--ethernet--> device. Here I faced with the issue: hAP AC successfully works as a bridge only via ethernet connection to a hAP AX3.
On hAP AC I've created a bridge with all ports and also enabled DHCP client - this simple config works like a charm via ethernet.
However, it doesn't seems to work via WiFi:
I've tried to configure wifi1/wifi2 on hAP AC in station bridge mode (seems like this mode is created for mikrotik <-> mikrotik device?), but seems like hAP AC can't establish connection with the hAP AX3. It is constantly changing frequences.
Then, I've changed mode to station pseudobridge and hAP AC was able to connect to hAP AX3. Despite the connection establish, network still doesn't work, DHCP client can't receive IP-address. In a wifi1 status (AP that is used to connect to AX3) I noticed that field "Last IP-adress" constantly change it's value.
I've also tried to use QuickSet CPE mode but also without luck.
I assume that the issue caused by different wireless network drivers (WifiWave2 on ax3). So is it known issue and can it be workarounded somehow or did I miss something in a configuration?

rplant

Re: Wireless Bridge with hAP AX3

Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:31 am

Check here: viewtopic.php?p=1025978#p1025970

Try to change bridge protocol from rstp (default) to none.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:52 am

I have hAP AX3 with cAP AC working as a repeater, using 5ghz to connect to the main router and virtual radio for AP. Everything works perfectly as I am on the latest beta ROS version - use a manually set channel on the main router!
#my config
/interface bridge
add name=bridge-lan
/interface wifi
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] configuration.country="United States" .mode=\
    station-bridge .ssid=XXXXXX datapath.bridge=bridge-lan disabled=no
/interface wifi security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk disable-pmkid=yes disabled=no name=xxxxxx
/interface wifi
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.band=2ghz-n .frequency=2472 .width=\
    20/40mhz-eC configuration.antenna-gain=5 .country=Bulgaria .mode=ap \
    .ssid="XXXXXX Ex" .tx-power=0 datapath.bridge=bridge-lan disabled=no security=xxxxxx
add configuration.mode=ap .ssid="XXXXXX Ex" datapath.bridge=\
    bridge-lan disabled=no mac-address=CE:2D:E0:1B:80:3F master-interface=wifi2 name=wifi3 security=xxxxxx
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge-lan interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge-lan interface=ether2
/ip dhcp-client
add interface=bridge-lan

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:30 am

Then, I've changed mode to station pseudobridge and hAP AC was able to connect to hAP AX3.
pseudobridge support only appeared in 7.14

DrCure
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:04 pm

Hey guys!
Check here: viewtopic.php?p=1025978#p1025970

Try to change bridge protocol from rstp (default) to none.
This did the trick. It works now! Thx.
I have hAP AX3 with cAP AC working as a repeater, using 5ghz to connect to the main router and virtual radio for AP. Everything works perfectly as I am on the latest beta ROS version - use a manually set channel on the main router!
JohnTRIVOLTA, do you mean that your AX3 on the latest beta ROS or did you upgrade your cAP AC to the v7 ROS?
Then, I've changed mode to station pseudobridge and hAP AC was able to connect to hAP AX3.
pseudobridge support only appeared in 7.14
so it means that if I update AX3 to 7.14 it would be possible work with hAP AC without disabling STP on the bridge? Or what do you mean here?

JohnTRIVOLTA

Re: Wireless Bridge with hAP AX3  [SOLVED]

Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:54 pm

JohnTRIVOLTA, do you mean that your AX3 on the latest beta ROS or did you upgrade your cAP AC to the v7 ROS?

I use always the same ROS version for all devices.In this case the latest beta version for both!

m4rk3J
just joined

Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:38 pm

U can use wifi card in old hAP as "station", add IPv4 address to this wifi iface, create EoIP between main router and this hAP, add eoip to bridge on main router and also on the 2nd old Tik. On old hAP, wifi iface cannot be part of bridge.
This is how you achieve a fully transparent L2 connection.