Community discussions

MikroTik App

malamaka
just joined
Topic Author

Ccr2216 rebooted by watchdog timer

Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:04 pm

hi.
I bought a CCR2216 because the CPU of the CCR1016 was maxing out but otherwise it was working great.
The CR2216 with firmware/os 7.6, was working great for 5 days and then it started rebooting intermittendly. Some days 3 time sper day., some days no reboot. The log file said "system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown"
It only has 2x SPF+ modules on eth 5 and eth 12.

I upgraded the OS to 7.11.2 and now the router still reboots but the log file is now " system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog timer"

Watchdog was disabled the 1st time I got that message and it still rebooted.
I enabled watchdog and ping a local IP with timeout of 120 secs and it still reboot intermittendly. The Internet does not go down for 120 seconds so its not due to communications.
I disabled Internet detect as some users suggested.

Any suggestions?

Kanzler

Re: Ccr2216 rebooted by watchdog timer

Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:05 pm

This could be an issue with the power supply. Do you have the option to try another power brick?

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:14 pm

@Kanzler
CCR2216 has redundant power supplies. An issue with power doesn't seem very likely.

@malamaka:
Can you tell us a little more about your setup? What features are you using? What amount of traffic is going through when it reboots? Did you update RouterBOOT after upgrading RouterOS (/system routerboard upgrade)?

malamaka
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:41 pm

Hi Fezz, Kanzler,

Please note that we used a CCR1016 before and we replaced it because the CPU maxed out about 10minutes every hr.
What I am trying to say is that the CCR2216 is way bigger and more powerfull than the CCR1016 and we are only using SFP+ (10gbs) modules thus the amount of traffic shouldn't be the issue. We are not maxing more than 5 Gbps.

Its a straigh forward setup with BGP and 800 clients connecting via either pppoe or pptp sessions.
I did upgrade both the OS and firmware(/system routerboard upgrade) to 7.11.2.

If it was a PSU issue, the logs wont read "system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog timer" unless there is a bug in the system and as Fezz said, there is a redundant PSU.

This one has me scratching head, to be honest.

Fl3tch
just joined

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am

@malamaka Did you ever manage to find a solution?

We have had no issues with the 2216 up until we started peering with more and more providers.
First we started seeing reboot by watchdog every few days and then we added more peers and the reboots become more frequent +-2hours apart.
we were on 7.10.x at the time. We decided to do a midnight upgrade and did so to the latest 7.14.1 stable after an hour of monitoring we decided to call it a day just to find the router rebooted again about 20 min after we left the office. This time it actually shows reboot without proper shutdown and nothing about watchdog.

AutoSupout is also not created when these reboots happen.

Definitely not actual power to the unit because we are powering a switch right next to it and that thing has been running for 385 days.
Now the unit is not doing much SFP+ modules are spaced apart for now the cabinet has a aircon build in running at max 24c router temp is about 27 and sfp's doing the work runs max at 48.

Any way just wanted to know if you ever found a workaround or solution.
Thanks

emunt6
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

As i remember
-disable FastPath,
-disable Conntrack,
-disable L3HW.

Above combination (which feature is off), solved the reboot problem for the others,
depends on what you need on the hardware.

Check others topics you find it.