Community discussions

MikroTik App

chandre
just joined
Topic Author

ONU terminal on PoE-out issue

Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:50 pm

Hey Mikrotik community.

I have an L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN (7.14.1). My goal is to power up an ONU (ZTE ZXHN F601) terminal from my ISP with help of the ethr8 port that has the PoE-out capabilities and a PoE splitter on other side.
After enabling PoE-out by setting `forced on` the ONU terminal doesn't start (Mikrotik has option `auto on` but it is not possible to select it as it tells `not supported`). In case of switching from PoE-out to PoE injector on router side with power adapter (12V 0.5A 6W) from the ONU it starts up.
My PoE splitter\injector set has Pinout 4,5+ 7,8-

Did I miss something or this two devices are not compatible in described conditions?

PS. Let me know if I missed something for help request, I'll provide it :)

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: ONU terminal on PoE-out issue

Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 am

That ZTE thingy is powered at 12 V.
Your PoE splitter needs to be a splitter AND converter, capable of converting the PoE voltage you are using (that is at the same level of the power supply you are using for the L009, usually either 24V or 48V) to the 12V the ZTE needs.
A simple splitter will only split the existing voltage, very likely (and luckily) your ZTE has some form of protection for overvoltage, with passive PoE (and - necessarily - forced on setting) you risk frying devices that are intended for lower voltage.

chandre
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:04 am

That ZTE thingy is powered at 12 V.
Your PoE splitter needs to be a splitter AND converter, capable of converting the PoE voltage you are using (that is at the same level of the power supply you are using for the L009, usually either 24V or 48V) to the 12V the ZTE needs.
A simple splitter will only split the existing voltage, very likely (and luckily) your ZTE has some form of protection for overvoltage, with passive PoE (and - necessarily - forced on setting) you risk frying devices that are intended for lower voltage.
That makes sense. And thanks ZTE that they put overvolting protection and my ONU still works :D
Do I understand you correctly that PoE-out passive actually working as a bypass from Mikrotik power adapter to PoE-out port and thats it?
Seems like in case of switching to the hAP ac³ or the hAP ax³ it will not make difference as they also have 24V power adapters. Does Mikrotik have some models with PoE-out with 12V?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 am

Does Mikrotik have some models with PoE-out with 12V?

Any device with passive PoE out and which can be powered using 12V power adapter.

But I suggest you not to go this way. If you absolutely have to power ZTE via PoE, use passive PoE injector (MT's own RBGPOE might do the trick) and use dedicated 12V power adapter to power the injector (and ZTE).

chandre
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:37 am

Does Mikrotik have some models with PoE-out with 12V?

Any device with passive PoE out and which can be powered using 12V power adapter.

But I suggest you not to go this way. If you absolutely have to power ZTE via PoE, use passive PoE injector (MT's own RBGPOE might do the trick) and use dedicated 12V power adapter to power the injector (and ZTE).
This is exactly my current setup. PoE injector on the MT side and PoE splitter on the ZTE side. Initially I wanted to get rid of the extra power adapter and make power through responsibility of the PoE-out on the MT.
In any case I also want to search for an ONU terminal with PoE support on the RJ45 and in addition to that I need to search a 24V ONU terminal to finalize this combination.

Thanks for explanation and help!

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm

Yes, essentially it amounts to connecting the voltage of the Power supply to the two couples of wires of the rj45, but with a couple of added features:
1) the connection goes through an electronic on/off switch that can be piloted by the OS/software manually or through scripting (often useful)
2) the amounts of current Is limited to a given amount (It depends on the device model) which may represent a limitation when compared to a PoE injector

I presume that - due to the additional circuitry the power goes through - It Is probably better filtered/leveled but cannot say for sure.

In your specific case, the ONU has low watt needs so you can use a common splitter and converter capable of converting the 24V to the 12V, they are (were) frequently used to Power cameras that are not PoE powered, usually they can provide 1-1.5 A, so 12-18 W at 12 V, though you need to make sure they are "mode B" like the Mikrotiks use.(Pinout 4,5+ 7,8-) as nowadays many are "mode A" AND that they are compatible with passive PoE as nowadays most are 802.3af compatible and they might not work with passive. (the issue Is that - roughly - passive and Mode B are contemporary with 10/100 MB while Active 802.3af/at are contemporary with 1GB, and - even if in theory 802.3af/at should be compatible with both modes, they tend to use Mode A only).
Only as an example, something *like* this:
https://www.aerial.net/shop/product/22_ ... a-out.html
BUT that one has the Power wires not connected, so It won't be 1 GB compatible.
(NO good, but at least the characteristics and limitations are clearly exposed).
I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day It would be easier to use a passive splitter provided that you can find a 1 GB one mode B (PoeTexas should have a multi- mode One) and a separate 24v to 12v converter.
If It was not clear from the above, PoE Is a mess in practice.