stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

scripts to keep LTE stick up and running

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm

I need some help, please, in remediate my problem

I have a RB5009 since some weeks
Eth1 is connected to the ISP ONT (2.5 Gbps, limited at 1 Gbps), Vlan, PPPoE, etc. it works just fine
Then, to have a backup, there is a k6160 USB LTE stick in the USB port.
The distance metric of the LTE is greater than the metric of the fiber, so, if the fiber is OK, everything passes on the fiber.
In case of fault the traffic goes through the LTE.
I know that this "switching" could be improved.

As soon as the USB LTE stick is inserted and the APN configured, I got my public IP on che LTE interface
after 14400 seconds (I can see the logs) without traffic on the LTE (I mean ZERO bites trnsferred) the LTE interface looses the IP
This ara exactly 4 hours. The mobile operator reset the connections every 4 hours in case of no data, it seems.
using this stick on Windows or in other 2 routers (ADB and Sercom), after 4 hours, once the connection is reset,
all of them re-establish it, but not the MikroTik RB5009.
MikroTik support says that the RB5009 is OK, looking at the logs.

Now, I have in mind 3 solutions
A) a script that periodically checks if the LTE has an IP and, if not, disable and re-enable the LTE
B) a script that every 3 hours disable and re-enable the LTE regardless the presence of the IP on the LTE
C) Since the connections is reset when there is no traffic in the last 4 hours... some way to send something through the LTE

Maybe a mix of solutions?

Comments?

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: scripts to keep LTE stick up and running

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm

Cannot say if to keep the link some pinging is enough, but you could set a script that just pings the (I presume there is one) the DNS that the LTE provider gives you once every (say) hour or so.
This could be a netwatch script or a scheduled one.
If you use another DNS normally you could set a route through the LTE for that specific DNS IP only and it will be pinged no matter which "main" 0.0.0.0 gateway route is active.
The "right" way should be "A" in your list, but the script needs to be carefully written, you cannot rely on the fact that disabling the LTE, waiting a few seconds, and re-enabling it is guaranteed to bring up the interface, you need to add a (sensible) delay before next attempt and some counter, otherwise you could find yourself with the LTE interface flapping in an endless loop.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 pm

MikroTik support says that the RB5009 is OK, looking at the logs.
IMO, its a bug if it doesn't come back if other OSes do recover...

But to force ping out LTE while fiber is the active route in main requires using a routing-table. To create a new seperate routing table that only goes over LTE, it's a couple lines for that:
/routing/table add name=lte fib
/ip/route/add gateway=lte1 routing-table=lte
This is not used unless some rule or mangle causes traffic to NOT use the main. To use rules... you can add a /routing/rule to send a specific destination IP to the new route-table with only LTE created above. If we assuming you want to Cloudflare secondary DNS as host to check and route via LTE (and even if fiber is active), it a routing rule & a netwatch that will then ping that same IP in the /routing/rule
/routing/rule/add dst-address=1.0.0.1 table=lte action=lookup-only-in-table 
/tool/netwatch/add type=simple host=1.0.0.1 name=lte-check 
You can make the netwatch more sophisticated to do something other than just cause a ping. But other post describes the netwatch scripts.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 pm

@Amm0
Excuse me, but wouldn't a simple rule in "main" pointing to that specific IP do?
Having an added routing table and a routing rule isn't over-complicating it?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm

Sure, that work too. But you don't have further ability to limit to just the router (which I don't show above, but /routing/rule let you exclude LAN IP from using LTE for the destination of 1.0.0.1 – a main route for 1.0.0.1 applies to all src-address)

A separate routing table keeps things clean IMO. And /routing/rule requires a table to use, which I think is cleaner than messing with main routing table directly... I presume the idea is that even if fiber is active a continuous ping runs over LTE, which keep the LTE carrier from dropping the APN session.

Certainly mangle rule without routing table work too, but that's actually more complex since lte likely has a dynamic address and mangle cannot deal with interface routes (e.g. gateway=lte1), so you have to know the gateway IP address for mangle.
/ip/firewall/mangle/add chain=postrouting action=route route-dst=<lte_network_address>

If OP config roughly default it's 4 lines of config... And OP is setup to add other rules that "override" main to force LTE connection via additional /routing/rule's...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm

Cannot say if to keep the link some pinging is enough, but you could set a script that just pings the (I presume there is one) the DNS that the LTE provider gives you once every (say) hour or so.
This could be a netwatch script or a scheduled one.
Totally possible carrier may separately force a drop...so ping may not help.

Other than marginally increasing data usage... in general, it's like best to keep a continuous ping going even if LTE interface correctly recovers. This ensure the tower allocates at some "resources" running to keep the ping going.

e.g. other than data usage costs, a ping don't hurts you and likely advantageous. It's other other future users on same LTE tower that may be effected. e.g. tower will reject new admissions at some point if congested...but if ping was going you'd already have a connection.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 pm

I am sure that for an experienced member your proposed approach is easy and clean :) , I was only doubting that it is easy for a newcomer.

We don't know how complex the OP's routing table is, but if it consists of just two gateways, one through the ISP ONT and one through the LTE, or - depending on the way the failover is implemented - another two for recursive, adding another route seems to me not that bad, of course if there are many routes in main, a separate routing table would be much cleaner.

Another possible approach could be Filo's "reversed distance" one:
viewtopic.php?t=198999
(still with the pinging running in the background).

First thing would be anyway to check if pinging periodically is enough to keep the LTE alive.

In any case, the critical step I find needing to be taken into account is what to do when - for *whatever* reason - the main link is down AND the LTE is not responding,

If the timeout is 4 hours there is (unless I am missing something) no need to ping every n seconds, a set of a few pings (let's say ten) every hour or so should do. :-?

The idea of the disabling/reenabling periodically the LTE interface (besides some way to check if it actually worked) should be conditional, i.e. not happen if there was traffiic in the last three hours, maybe the script could check some counter on the LTE interface and not run if it is not 0 (or only run if it is 0).

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 pm

many many thanks for your very very precious suggestions.

I personally have years of experience in IT but I am really new with MikroTIk.

I will read all your answers and will come back.

One additional point:
as I said, this LTE stick is a k5160, some kind of Huawey 3372. forget for a while how it works on WIndows... but... the old routers (the ADB and Sercomm) are both linux based and both equipped with a USB port for the backup LTE stick.
The blinking red led on the stick means: 4G network available, not conntectd
the solid red led means: connected to the 4G
On the two ADB and Sercomm, if the primary WAN \ fiber is UP, then the stick is NOT connected, the led is blinking and of course there is no IP on that port
As soon you unplug the fiber, then in 10 seconds the routers connect to the 4G, the led becomes solid red the IP is there

Mybe I need a script on the MikroTik to enable the LTE stik just in case and avoid to have it always on with no traffic...

Am I the only one with such problem?
Why the rb5009 can not reconnect by itself?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:11 am

By default, there is no check on the distance=1 /ip/route (e.g. fiber). So simply unplugging is not going to cause a failover immediately.

If fiber is a static route, you should add a check-gateway=ping on the 0.0.0.0 default route in /ip/route. If the fiber using DHCP client to get the fiber WAN IP, then it more complex and need a script that run on the /ip/dhcp-client that will set check-gateway=ping when a DHCP address is acquired. In either case, connection are caches, so it takes a bit for things to timeout and reconnect too.

On the modem disconnect... I'd collect some additional logs by adding /system/logging add topics=lte,!packet,!raw. Then in a netwatch's "on-down" script disable/enable the modem in netwatch same script. And if you add /system/sup-output to same netwatch on-down script, that generate a "supout.rif" needed for Mikrotik support (and will have the additional logging you added from topics=lte,!packet,!raw) – as this should give support more clues at why your modem isn't trying to reconnect.

I'd also try the latest 7.15rc if you haven't – often these LTE problems do get resolved in new versions. Also worth checking you've update the firmware to match RouterOS, this is done in /system/routerboard and upgrade (you may want to enable auto-update in /system/routerboard/settings, which will upgrade the firmware after reboot automatically).

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:18 am

I'd also try the latest 7.15rc if you haven't – often these LTE problems do get resolved in new versions. Also worth checking you've update the firmware to match RouterOS, this is done in /system/routerboard and upgrade (you may want to enable auto-update in /system/routerboard/settings, which will upgrade the firmware after reboot automatically).
good suggestion! thanks!
I received the Rb5009 with 7.8 ROS and then upgraded to 7.14 but I was not aware about the need to upgrade the firmware, so the firmware is still 7.8 while the ROS is 7.14

Anyway I already provided tons of logs to Mikrotik support and their position is that the LT stick is faulty.

Question: having the LTE stick plugged in the Windows PC, I can very simply use the CONNECT \ DISCONNECT function. The same on the other two old ADB and Sercom router from their GUI.
on the RB5009 the stick automatically connects when plugged in, but... support is saying there is no way to force CONNECT or DISCONNECT, so I have to enable and disable it.
Are you aware of any way\command to connect \ diconntect the LTE?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:20 am

Are you aware of any way\command to connect \ diconntect the LTE?
There are two ways. one is to disable and enabled the lte interface (via "/interface/lte lte1"). The other is power cycling the USB (via "/system/routerboard/usb/power-reset").

Using netwatch script is the way to do this (e.g. when ping fails). See https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netwatch .
In winbox, scripts can be attached to any /tool/netwatch in the "Down"/etc tabs.
In most cases, disable/enable the lte interface will fix a problem. So you can add something like this to the "Down" script for a netwatch:
/interface lte lte1 disable
:delay 5s
/interface lte lte1 enable
You add multiple netwatch if you want to get more sophisticated. Each netwatch has an interval, so you can have a 2nd netwatch the does power-reset of USB to reboot modem. But use a longer interval=. e.g. if you set the interval for 1st netwatch to 1m (00:01:00), then you have a 2nd use 2m (00:02:00). The power-reset one use:
/interface lte lte1 enable
/system/routerboard/usb/power-reset
(the enable is added since it possible the first netwatch left it disabled if happen 2nd netwatch run during the 5s delay)

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:37 pm

Looking around on the board, there are several scripts revolving around the two possible approaches Amm0 explained, triggered either by Netwatch or running at fixed time intervals via scheduler, with varying levels of complexity.
And there are a few reports of ISP's that do force this disconnection every 4 h, so you are not alone.
Some scripts go even further, and if connection is not re-established proceed to reboot the router.

The topic is also in Sib's "KB:LTE", which is a "must read":
viewtopic.php?t=178312

Simplest ones should be these:
viewtopic.php?t=130417

Since in your case the LTE is only used for failover, I wouldn't be too aggressive with the frequency of the check.
If the basic ping of netwatch is enough to keep the connection alive, when run every - say - 5 minutes or so, the "down" script won't ever run, but if anything else happens, it will reset the interface, which should take only a few seconds.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 pm

Coincidentally I migrated a site from a hEX (RB750Gr3) to a RB5009 with LTE backup using Huawei stick, and now I also have a problem...
It may however be a different issue. The link was up for over a week, including some provider disconnects, however then suddenly the link disconnected, the LTE1 device disappeared, and the USB info does not show the stick anymore.
I tried a USB power reset but it does not solve it.

I will have to go to the site to further investigate, e.g. plug the stick into a laptop, plug another USB device in the router, etc to see what went broken.
Maybe the USB port does not work anymore, maybe it got overloaded by the power consumption of the stick?

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:37 pm

Yesterday night I configured the netwatch and the static route through the LTE as suggested
It worked well.
Great! Thanks

Unfortunately This evening the LTE was again down regardless the netwatch.
There is anther problem... that needs a different solution. I already mentioned about this problem and also reported to support
and this is the same problem here blow
Coincidentally I migrated a site from a hEX (RB750Gr3) to a RB5009 with LTE backup using Huawei stick, and now I also have a problem...
It may however be a different issue. The link was up for over a week, including some provider disconnects, however then suddenly the link disconnected, the LTE1 device disappeared, and the USB info does not show the stick anymore.

I will have to go to the site to further investigate, e.g. plug the stick into a laptop, plug another USB device in the router, etc to see what went broken.
Maybe the USB port does not work anymore, maybe it got overloaded by the power consumption of the stick?
This evening there was no LTE interface in the list!!!
The stick is inserted, of course, in the USB port, the red led blinks (means: 4G available, not cooected).
of course I can not enable\disable somthing that according to the ROS does not exist.
Trying USB power reset... no effect
I had to reboot the RB5009.

As I said, I reported this to support with several logs and the answer is: your LTE stick is faulty.
I do not agree since it works fine in the other 2 Linux based routers
Moreover, have a look at the path:
a) start from a freshly booted RB5009, with the LTE stick plugged
b) after hours or 1 day or 2 days... it is not predicatable... the LTE disappears from interface list
c) USB power reset, no effect
d) unplug the LTE and plug it again, NO EFFECT !!!
f) ok let's do this now:...
g) unplug the LTE
h) plug a stipid USB pendrive, RB5009 DOES not see anything attached to it
i) reboot the RB5009... everything again is OK

According to me, step d) and h) are the proof of that there is something strange in the RB5009

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:46 pm

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:21 am

Yeah something is fishy with RB5009 and/or USB, seemingly with Hueweis. There's been a few posts.

About the only thing a user can do, is try the stable and beta/rc and/or even older V7 to see if those fix. Specifically 7.15rc has a fix to always leave the LTE interface around, so that worth trying.
*) lte - make interface persistent (unused interface configs can be removed, allow to export and examine current configuration without the device present);

As noted above, this includes RouterOS version, /system/routerboard firmware, and LTE firmware. If it an external stick as here, you might want to hunt to any upgrades, but most of Hueweis here are older so likely are already at latest. Perhaps even netinstall might help if there is something related to past upgrades that's messing this up.

But these older modem that use ECM mode (not newer MBIM protocol) don't provide a lot of feedback on what's causing the failures since they more appear as USB dongle than newer modem that have an API.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:49 am

Thanks.
Will try the release you suggested.
Right now there is the 7.14.3 stable.
I can say that with this release things are different than the previous, not better, but different
Untitled.jpg
This LTE card is a MBIM one.

Anyway... I can not pretend to have this stick working, even if I think that also the ROS has its bugs... since when the RB5009 can no more recognize the stick, if I put any other device... it is the very same.

What can I do? What can use to add failover on LTE?
other suggested stick?
an external LTE modem? Maybe from MikroTik?
Any idea is appreciated, but... something working, please :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:59 am

other suggested stick?
an external LTE modem? Maybe from MikroTik?
Any idea is appreciated, but... something working, please :-)
Probably already done this, but I'd make sure the APN is right - those log look like it's not getting an IP address, which could mean some specifical APN setup may be required.

If you're in Europe, another option be hAPaxLite6-LTE: https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ax_lit ... ifications . Not the fast modem modem on market, but good value and seemingly good reports. That also give you a backup router as well and/or perhaps management Wi-Fi network for the routers. Since connect to RB5009 via ethernet, so you can get something like a hAPLite in perhaps better location for signal than a USB stick modem in the RB5009 USB port too.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 am

Probably already done this, but I'd make sure the APN is right - those log look like it's not getting an IP address, which could mean some specifical APN setup may be required.

If you're in Europe, another option be hAPaxLite6-LTE:
Yes yes... the APN is correct. I have several of such SIM card inserted in alarm systems, boilers, etc.

I know that hAPaxLite6-LTE... I had a look at it... just need to know if this unit will suffer the same problems I have on the RB5009.
This night it rebooted by itself for no reason. The log says
"router rebooted without proper shutdown, probably power outage" but no power outage at all. I have a UPS and Cisco AP POE connected to the RB5009 and they did not experienced power issue.

RB5009 is very very nice, but ... Mmmmmmmhhhhh,,,,, some doubts in my mind.

abbio90
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 am

if it can be useful. I made this for routers with LTE modems. but it could also work with a key. should be tried

https://foisfabio.it/index.php/2024/03/ ... check-lte/

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:44 am

... since when the RB5009 can no more recognize the stick, if I put any other device... it is the very same.
Have you reported that fact to support as well?

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:43 pm

Have you reported that fact to support as well?
Yes, reported.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:24 pm

This evening there was no LTE interface in the list!!!
The stick is inserted, of course, in the USB port, the red led blinks (means: 4G available, not cooected).
of course I can not enable\disable somthing that according to the ROS does not exist.
Trying USB power reset... no effect
I had to reboot the RB5009.
I investigated and indeed for me it is the same: no amount of "USB power reset" will fix it, but after reboot it immediately is OK again.
When the LTE device is gone, the USB entry for the HUAWEI stick is gone as well. (in system->resources->usb).
Apparently something fishy with the RB5009 USB interface. Probably at some point it does not send interrupts anymore, I have the same problem with a PC motherboard with USB PCIe card. It could be a bug in some USB device Linux driver.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:17 pm

I investigated and indeed for me it is the same: no amount of "USB power reset" will fix it, but after reboot it immediately is OK again.
When the LTE device is gone, the USB entry for the HUAWEI stick is gone as well. (in system->resources->usb).
Apparently something fishy with the RB5009 USB interface. Probably at some point it does not send interrupts anymore, I have the same problem with a PC motherboard with USB PCIe card. It could be a bug in some USB device Linux driver.
Is there something I can do?
Remember what I mentioned (maybe check from your side):
when there is the need to reboot since the LTE has gone and the USB power reset does not have effect... I can remove the LTE and plug other USB device... nothing is recognized anymore by the MikroTik.
According to support it is anyway an issue of the LTE.. the LTE has bugs and the USB port of the MikroTIk goes in some kind of "protection"

At this point what can I do? buy a LTE Ethernet modem? Try anther LTE USB?

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm

As underlying system is based on a Linux kernel. I never heard of that a USB device could cause a "protection" so the USB controller does nothing anymore because of some attached device did what?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 pm

As a workaround, I have made this script and scheduled it to run 2 times per day, at a time when the network is least used:
:if ([:len [/interface find where name="lte1"]] = 0) do={
    /log warning "no lte1 interface, rebooting!"
    :delay 2s
    /system reboot
}
The router logs to an external syslog server, so when this occurs I still have the reason for the reboot.
When you do not have that, or are not worried about the router having rebooted without knowing why, you can omit that log.

I'm still considering if I want to reboot the router when the main internet connection does not work AND the lte device has disappeared as well.
Fortunately the 5009 boots quite quickly, and it keeps the PoE outputs powered during boot. That makes it less inconvenient to reboot.

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 pm

Pretty annoying to have a vendor (MT) declining it's a bug.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm

Well, that is usually the first phase with bugs reported to a vendor or software developer: denial.
Only after many reports have come in and they decide to do further research, it will become apparent it is a problem and something has to be done.

Compare it to the 16M flash situation. We have been telling them that it is unwise and is a problem ever since the first devices appeared.
But until very recently they just denied it was a problem.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Pretty annoying to have a vendor (MT) declining it's a bug.

Support looked at some logs I sent.
It seems that every time that there is problem on the USB, then... the linux kernel assign a new number to the device, so each time someone or a script reset the device... a new device number and after time... this cause problems
So this should be the reason why sometime also a power reset of the USB does not help to solve and also any other device plugged is not recognized.

The support's suggestion is to authorize\de-authorize
/system/resource/usb/authorize [find device=1-0] allow=no
/system routerboard usb power-reset
/system/resource/usb/authorize [find device=1-0] allow=yes

Unfortunately it does not work all the times... in this moment the LTE stick is plugged, I can not see it in interfaces and the power reset of the USB ports, even with support's suggestion, does not work

At this point... I do not know... it is getting complicated and maybe I switch to a Ethernet LTE modem.
I have one CAT12 LTE spare at a site, I will collect it in the next days.

Anyway very very

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:27 pm

Yeah that is all fine, but I had the (physically) same LTE stick plugged into a RB750Gr3 running 6.49.10 for many years, and there never were problems.
Now I swapped the router for a RB5009 of course running v7 (in my case 7.12.1) and there are these problems.
They can say "it is the stick causing the problems" but it worked OK in the old config so apparently the router is involved in it as well.

Frankly I expected there to be FEWER problems as the USB port on the 5009 is USB3, so it can deliver more power, and it should not have the issues that were sometimes seen on older devices where the peak power usage of the LTE stick (e.g. when transmitting to a far away site) would drop the supply voltage too low. The thing that people solved by putting a USB hub between the router and stick.
The 5009 should not have that problem, especially the RB5009UPr+S+ version that we have (PoE) with the much beefier powersupply.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:18 pm

I do not have such huge experience with Mikrotik.
What about MikroTik LTE routers? the ones with LTE modem embedded.
Do they have the same problems?

I am asking this because the USB LTE stick I have has been used for many years inside other two linux based routers (ADB and Sercomm) with no problems.
The same SIM card with the same APN is running in many devices aroud, most of them alarm systems, in remote location, with no problems at all.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm

I am asking this because the USB LTE stick I have has been used for many years inside other two linux based routers (ADB and Sercomm) with no problems.
The same SIM card with the same APN is running in many devices aroud, most of them alarm systems, in remote location, with no problems at all.
I'd try again with support. If it works in Linux, it should work in RouterOS.

There LTE devices are going to work better than a 3rd party modem. They keep adding new modems and fixing old ones, but I suspect sometimes these "improvements" break some LTE device. They can test their own modem with new versions, but the 3rd party ones...they have to wait for support cases to know if issue.

Still think the hAPaxLite is decent choice to replace a USB stick, you're not taking about about a lot of data. Only downside of hAPaxLite is that is doesn't support PoE. The 2024 edition wAP-LTE is also a choice and that does have 24V passive PoE. Both only work in EU (or at least not US/CA/MX) .

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

Also, you can add a /system/watchdog with a ping address supplied. This will reboot the router if ping fails after X seconds/minutes. Not ideal but provides one more backstop.
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Watchdog

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

Chateau LTE12. Not a single issue with LTE modem ever.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:47 pm

I have also made a SUP case (SUP-151076) as past night the RB5009 rebooted by itself (claiming it was probably a powerfailure) without visible preceding issue with the LTE stick.
They advised me to install a script that checks every 10s for LTE1 and if it is missing immediately makes a supout file.
So likely the supout I sent them already lost the proper info. I did this and now we wait...

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 pm

I have also made a SUP case (SUP-151076) as past night the RB5009 rebooted by itself
Me too, I sent 2 logs to support
SUP-149385

What LTE stick are you using?

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2024 6:33 pm

I got another USB LTE stick.
This ons is a ZTE MF833T but... once plugged in the MikroTik USB port, no LTE interface appears.
But it is recognized in the USB menu. It says:
Device 1:1
Vendor: ZTE inc.
Vendor ID: 0x 19d2
Device ID: 0x 1225
etc.

is there anything I can do with this?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 01, 2024 9:06 pm

Check if USB has shows any serial channels, using "/ports print". My guess is this a QMI modem, so it does not support ECM or MBIM need to make an "lte" interface in RouterOS.

If it has any chanels, you might be able to use /interface/ppp-out to try to connect to it via PPP. e.g. it may mount as serial port, so a ppp-out interface can might work. This be limited to 30Mb/s up/down, but it's also a low category modem so that may not matter. But you do need some working AT serial port for PPP...

You can also use /system/serial-terminal try to connect to it, and then type "ATI" or "AT" to see if it responds. That the channel you need to set for info-channel and data-channel in a ppp-out interface (if multiple channels respond to AT, then use different channels as info-channel than data-channel).

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 12:25 am

Check if USB has shows any serial channels
Sorry, no... /port print result is null.
[admin@RB5009] > /port print                    

[admin@RB5009] > 

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 1:23 am

Try setting putting into serial mode:
/interface/lte/settings/set mode=serial 

You should power off and power on after this change.

And if shows as ports then, you can try PPP. using /interface/ppp-out (which may appear automatically if port is found). I doubt this modem is going to work as LTE. If it has some UI to change mode on other systems, perhaps, but does need to get into ECM or MBIM mode to work as /interface/lte. But should work in serial PPP mode.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 2:14 am

Try setting putting into serial mode:
Already tried but not way.

If I am not going to find a GOOD and STABLE LTE USB stick, I will give up and get a Ethernet LTE modem.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 3:12 am

If something does not come up in serial mode... it's not a good sign of stability. Mikrotik does have a list of modems they've tested here: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals
But yeah the particular USB ID needs to be mapped.

I guess getting a miniPCI-to-USB case and using one of Mikrotik miniPCIe modem be "most stable" via USB. Using hotspot with ethernet is certainly another approach - in some way better since often you can get the modem in a better location than USB on the RB5009 (which may be on rack/shelf/closet/etc).

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 9:29 am

If something does not come up in serial mode... it's not a good sign of stability.
At the moment I already tried 3 different USB LTE devices.
Two are not listed in the HW compatible with MikroTik and I am not able to have them working. It is OK, I can not pretend: ZTE MF833 and Huawei 5372
The other one is the Huawei 3372 that is listed as compatible and indeed, once plugged in ( MBIM ), the LTE interface comes up and it works for exactly 14.400 seconds ( 4 hours ) then, once the ISP disconnect the device (it is ISP's default), it can no more connect. The LTE interface is still there, but no IP. I can reset the USB power... sometimes it works, sometimes does not work. I can reboot the MikroTIk... this usually works unless the MikroTIk starts rebooting by itself... let me say... it is unpredictable and not reliable at all, I can not trust this behavior.

I recently got a LTE modem\router by ZTE, the MF286D. It is an Ethernet modem\router, LTE cat12. It can be configured in bridge mode, so it passes the ISP IP address to the selected client on its LAN1 interface.
Setting up a second WAN interface on the Mikrotik with a DHCP client configured on it and the proper routing\metric\distance... it is almost perfect.
Every 4 hours it looses the IP (ISP default) but after some seconds it automatically reconnect.
So... if I can not have a more simple LTE USB on the Mikrotik working well... this will be solution: the problem is that a Huawei 3372 costs 20€ while the LTE router costs 100€.

Really I can not understand why my 3372 worked and still can work on older Linux based routers such ad ADB, Huawei and Sercomm and it is not on Mikrotik even if listed the HW list.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 10:07 am

My stick is a Huawei E3372 as well, the type that functions as a NAT router ("Config-less LTE interface" it says in the supported models list).
It was really stable on v6 but on v7 (with the RB5009) there have been hickups. But not at every provider disconnect, these happen every 8 hours here and there were no problems for just over a week after installation.
After I installed the monitoring script suggested by MikroTik it has not yet crashed, but it has been only about a week.

Note that the E3372 exists in different versions, both depending on the hardware and on the software installed on it.
There are procedures to load different software on it but they are very tricky.

I am using the stick only as a backup for another connection. When it would be a vital part of the network I would certainly replace it with some ethernet-connected LTE device, that also has the advantage that it can be placed at a better spot for coverage.

mbovenka

Thu May 02, 2024 11:59 am

My stick is a Huawei E3372 as well, the type that functions as a NAT router ("Config-less LTE interface" it says in the supported models list).
It was really stable on v6 but on v7 (with the RB5009) there have been hickups.

I use a E3372h-320 on my CCR1036 that works like that as well. It only works in v7 (as documented in 'Peripherals'). I only use it as a backup for my main internet connection, so it isn't used often, but I have had no issues with it so far.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 12:12 pm

At the moment I think it is more a "RB5009 USB issue" than a "LTE stick issue"....

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 3:25 pm

I use a E3372h-320 on my CCR1036 that works like that as well. It only works in v7 (as documented in 'Peripherals'). I only use it as a backup for my main internet connection, so it isn't used often, but I have had no issues with it so far.
Would you please share the device ID so I can check my stick?

mbovenka

Thu May 02, 2024 4:34 pm

Would you please share the device ID so I can check my stick?

Sure: vendor-id="0x12d1" device-id="0x14db"

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 5:10 pm

mine is
vendor-id="0x12d1" device-id="0x1f1e"

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 6:20 pm

At the moment I think it is more a "RB5009 USB issue" than a "LTE stick issue"....
Boy that be good to know if same stick worked in another Mikrotik.

I guess if wanted experiment more, try an older RouterOS on RB5009 to see if some of the various "refactoring" changes in LTE broke support.

But my guess (*if same modem on working linux) is some of these "stick modem" need some usb_modeswitch to get them into right state. Mikrotik does something similar with USB ID mappings, but not sure it as complete at the whole ModemManager scheme in real Linux. But Mikrotik, generally, does respond to support requests to add modems, especially if same modem but just uses different USB ID specific to some carrier (often the case with the "sticks" since they typically come from the carrier). More modern modems doesn't play all the USB ID tricks and MBIM has become the norm — but it was a thing that older 4G "stick modem" use a bunch of different USB ID for same modem.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 pm

Boy that be good to know if same stick worked in another Mikrotik.
See my post above on Tue Apr 23, 2024. For me the stick is detected OK but it is unreliable (compared to before).

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm

I agree that something is "fishy" here. Perhaps it's the USB hardware/driver/kernel, IDK.

But if it's not detecting it...worth checking an older version or different hardware. Over the years, I've seen some LTE bug fix in a release, cause problems for other modems – why I do suggest checking older version to see if modem support is a regression as that's likely easier to fix than some modem that never worked...

As @pe1chl point out, volume of tickets seems to prompt more action. Best plan is open a case ideally after enabling "/system/log/add topics=lte,!packet" and creating a supout.rif. n.b. the supout.rif contains the logs but it is limited to the log topics set in config, so adding more logging to lte (and/or topics=async) likely helpful to Mikrotik.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 pm

As @pe1chl point out, volume of tickets seems to prompt more action. Best plan is open a case ideally after enabling "/system/log/add topics=lte,!packet" and creating a supout.rif. n.b. the supout.rif contains the logs but it is limited to the log topics set in config, so adding more logging to lte (and/or topics=async) likely helpful to Mikrotik.
I did it one month ago and I provided all the supout.rif file requested by the support.

I try to summarize:
every 4 hours, the modem disconnects from the network (this is ISP policy here)
the same modem on other routers reconnects almost immediately, but do have it online again on the Mikrotik, I need to disable and enable the LTE ot power cycle the USB
Every time the ROS\Linux behind recognize these event as error and each time assign a new number to the device
At a point the ROS\Linux stops something at USB port levels due to increasing counters errors etc. and a reboot is needed

So according to support the ROS behavior is due to a buggy modem and ROS acts like this to "protect".

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 pm

I agree with you RouterOS should recover if Linux recovers after the carrier's 4 hour session limit.

A lot folks, include me, uses the LTE modems in remote places so IMO if some script is need to "recover" LTE interface, that's a workaround to some RouterOS bug that should be fixed. And, here a script cannot even work around issue & real Linux seems to recover, so not per se a modem bug.

Only hope is 7.15, there is a release note:
*) lte - make interface persistent (unused interface configs can be removed, allow to export and examine current configuration without the device present);
Although since you tested 7.15, that alone does not fix your issue either.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm

Although since you tested 7.15, that alone does not fix your issue either.
Really to be honest... I do not remember if I tested 7.15 or not... should I try?
Support did not suggested me this release.

EDIT.
Tried.
Installed ROS 7.15rc2
Rebooted without the LTE USB stick
Plugged the stick
The stick is recognized in the USB list, but no LTE interface available ( mode: auto )
Rebooted with stick inserted, no LTE available
Upgrded also the firmware to 7.15rc2, ok... the RB5009 recognize the card in the USB list and LTE interface is up

Let's see what will happen tomorrow morning.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2024 10:59 am

Installed 7.15rc2 yesterday evening.
This morning the story is TOTALLY different.
LTE stick is ONLY recognized if it is already plugged at router reboot.
Pluggin in with router already UP, it is not recognized.
it is still there after all night long and does not disconnect every 4 hours or... if it is disconnected then reconnects automatically (this is very good)
If unplugged while the router is UP, then the LTE interfaces does not disappear from the interfaces list, is still there RED colored
Then if I plug again, no way... it stay RED and. No way to disable\enable, power cycle the USB...
the only way to have it again is a router reboot

Edit:
one more detail.
The stick has a LED on top with different status\meaning, and one of this is the RED status.
RED blinking: 4G avaialable but NOT connected
RED solid: 4G available AND connected

In the other routers (ADB, Sercom and Huawey), where the USB port for LTE backup is available, the stick is always blinking and turns solid only if the primary WAS if down
On the MikroTik ROS 7.14 the LED was always solid, with LTE always on, even if unused
Switching to 7.15... the LED is always blinking and become solid just when traffic is detected.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 04, 2024 6:57 pm

Installed 7.15rc2 yesterday evening.
This morning the story is TOTALLY different.
Still working?

If so, you might want to update your support case with Mikrotik with your findings. Maybe they'd know why the 7.15rc fix does not cover the "If unplugged while the router is UP ... Then if I plug again, no way... it stay RED" case. But does seem like a better plan if modem is present at initial power on and left in, especially with these now older "stick modems" that do have complex USB interactions.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2024 12:14 am

Yes I already updated support with these preliminary feedbacks.
There are 2 more findings:
1) with 7.14 the stick was able to work ONLY in MBIM mode, not serial
With 7.15 it is the opposite... it works ONLY in serial mode, and not MBIM
2) my provider gives to me a public IP on the mobile connection and... with this 7.15 the router gets a private and NAT-ed IP. Maybe it is because the serial mode?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 05, 2024 3:17 am

Try setting the LTE mode back to "auto" instead of serial or mbim? Also make sure to update the /system/routerboard firmware too.

Serial should be able get same public IP. There is an APN setting in PPP, I suspect that need to be explicitly set to something to get public address.

Hopefully support should be able to figure it out why it doesn't should up as LTE interface. PPP works fine, and should get a public IP if one is assigned, just it's limited to 30MB/s.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2024 11:33 pm

Good morning,

little by little I can review the setup with 7.15rc2
Starting from a CLEAN RB5009, no LTE defined, no stick inserted

A) modem set to MBIM, Power off the 5009, inserted the USB stick, booted the 5009. The LTE interface is NOT present
B) modem set to SERIAL, reboot the 5009, the LTE interface is NOT present
C) modem set to AUTO, reboot the 5009, the LTE interface pops up end is present. The IP address obtained by the LTE is PRIVATE \ behind NAT
D) removed the USB stick and plugged into a computer, I get the public IP address on the LTE, without NAT

I am sorry if I did not provided correct details in the previous post, but I preferred to make some clean tests, rebooting every time

Provided all the logs to support.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 06, 2024 1:52 am

C) modem set to AUTO, reboot the 5009, the LTE interface pops up end is present. The IP address obtained by the LTE is PRIVATE \ behind NAT
It could be in ECM mode, and it's using NAT on the stick. And Mikrotik isn't setting it to MBIM mode automatically

Perhaps you might be access some web UI on the stick modem's gateway IP shown in /ip/route, and be able set passthrough mode someplace in that UI. Dunno.

stef70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2024 10:22 am

It could be in ECM mode, and it's using NAT on the stick. And Mikrotik isn't setting it to MBIM mode automatically
Well... let me say what is happens when using the USB stick with a PC:
- stick in a Windows PC. The stick is available in the network connection as network card. This interface gets the provider's IP address and there no web admin page \ GUI to control the stick... it is a new interface in the PC
- stick in a Linux PC. This is another story, since, even if it is automatically recognized by Linux, Linux gets a private IP and I can administrer the stick with a web GUI poiting 192.168.9.1 and inside the GUI I can see the NAT but there is no way to move the stick to bridge mode

I do not have a deep knowledge on such devices, sorry.
Looking at Mikrotik docs, it seems that a modem can be set as MBIM or serial and if I set AUTO then it is the MikroTik that choose the correct\best way.
It is strange that it works in AUTO, but not in MBIM and not in SERIAL. Moreover with ROS 7.14 it works only in MBIM mode...

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 06, 2024 5:22 pm

It seems like these Huawei sticks can have two different sets of firmware, called "hi-link" or "stick", it should be seen which one you have (and in case flashing the "other" firmware is not for the faint of heart).
Windows, I presume you have 10 or 11, I seem to remember seeing that older Windows 7 it behaved like you report on Linux, the address should be 192.168.8.1?, unless changed by some tricks *like*: https://github.com/tnbhaeufi/Huawei-E33 ... nge-change

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 06, 2024 5:30 pm

I just know Hauwei LTE modem sticks are a PITA.

Generally if RouterOS is doing what Linux is doing that what I'd expect with LTE setting mode=auto, so that's working...
- stick in a Linux PC. This is another story, since, even if it is automatically recognized by Linux, Linux gets a private IP and I can administrer the stick with a web GUI poiting 192.168.9.1 and inside the GUI I can see the NAT but there is no way to move the stick to bridge mode

Now, if you're getting a public IP on Windows and it's generally working there, you might want to confirm in Window's "Device Manager" if you see any drivers with MBIM (or Mobile Broadband something). That tell us it does in fact support MBIM. And it's not the alternative that Windows is sending some AT commands in ECM mode to do passthough. Or worse case, the modem uses older QMI under Windows, which is never going to work on RouterOS.