Community discussions

MikroTik App

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 essentially dead after a RouterOS update and multiple resets

Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:11 pm

First off, Im fairly inexperienced with Mikrotik and dont do any heavy magic with it, use it just as a simple ap and internet router.
My setup was as follows:
ISP GPON -> ethernet hAP ac2 with NAT -> ethernet to PC and wi-fi for my room

I was trying to reconfig my wi-fi settings through a browser, connecting to the default 192.161.88.1 address, so I reset the passwords for wi-fi and changed the SSID and also disabled NAT. I dont remember if I rebooted the router afterwards (or if it asks for a reboot on its own). Then I decided to check for updates which I hadnt done in a very long time (probably more than 2 years). It downloaded the update (I dont remember which exact version it was, but I chose the latest stable release). It went into a reboot but didnt seem to come back online after a while (all front lights were off).

Then I unplugged/plugged the cable, it came back, I could access it through the browser for a bit, but I think I changed some minor thing and wanted to reboot again (it was probably the NAT, I dont remember the exact order of when I actually disabled it), and it never came back. Ive tried resetting it multiple times, the lights do come on and the reset procedure cues are there (usr light blinking, etc), but its not actually detected, network icon stays on "Identifying..." indefinitely. Tried Winbox and Netinstall too, no help (though Im not sure if the connection settings were correct, so need more guidance with this).

All cables, PC ports and connecting straight to the ISP GPON have been checked and do work. Ive heard about the 300 second reset, but its impossible to hold that crappy button for that long without it slipping or just fatigue taking over.
Im on Windows 10 if that matters.

What options do I have?

Thanks.

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac2 essentially dead after a RouterOS update and multiple resets

Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:34 am

bump?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:02 pm

If nothing else helps you'll have to netinstall the device. Note that the process is very fragile and sometimes takes lots of experimenting with different details before it succeeds.

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:10 am

It just doesnt appear in Netinstall no matter what. Ill try connecting a dumb switch in between if I find my TP-Link.