Community discussions

MikroTik App

jbuttitta
just joined
Topic Author

WPA2 EAP Station Mode

Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 am

I have been trying to set up an HAP AX2 in station mode running RouterOS 7 to connect to a WPA2-Enterprise wireless network using PEAP MSCHAP V2 and I'm having difficulty making a connection. I have configured a security policy and assigned it to the wireless interface.

add authentication-types=wpa2-eap disabled=no eap-accounting=no \
eap-anonymous-identity="" eap-certificate-mode=dont-verify-certificate \
eap-methods=peap eap-username=myusername name=EAP_Client
/interface wifi
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] configuration.mode=station .ssid=Wireless \
security=EAP_Client security.eap-accounting=no .eap-methods=peap

The connection fails with the following log message.
F0:9F:C2:DE:21:27@wifi1: disconnecting, 802.1X authentication failed (23), signal -72

Enabling wireless debuging on the HAP AX2 provides no additional messages.

Currently the device is set to dont-verify-certificate, however I have also tried installing the valid certificate and I get the same results. The behavior is very different is the cert validation is required and fails.

In reviewing the logs on the RADIUS server there is no indication that the authentication failed.

The main item I was able to note is that in comparing a successful authentication with the attempts from the HAP AX2 is that the final RADIUS packet which should indicate "Microsoft: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)" is never sent.

There are references to MSCHAP V2 in the wireless module manual (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... e/Wireless), but there are no references to MSCHAP V2 in the wifi module manual (https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WiFi). I also can't find anywhere in winbox that MSCHAP v2 is referenced. Is MSCHAP v2 not supported on this device?

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.