Community discussions

MikroTik App

Martinez
just joined
Topic Author

Factory firmware upgrade

Wed May 15, 2024 12:47 am

Hi to all, before write this post I searched on interet and here into the forum but I don't find an answer.
I'm an happy owner of an HAP ac with a factory firmare version at 6.42.10
Is it so difficult (and maybe is not possible) to upgrade it to a 7.x version?

Thank you.

Ciao ciao,

Marco

jayooo
just joined

Re: Factory firmware upgrade

Wed May 15, 2024 2:14 am

It's easy. Just use the built-in upgrade in Winbox. You might have to do it a few times. The first time it will upgrade to the newest 6.x and then do it again and it will go to somewhere around 7.12, and then do it again and it will go to 7.14

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 am

Still be careful...

hAP AC only has 16Mb of storage.
As of 7.13, legacy wifi part is stored in a separate package causing potential issues for devices with limited storage (and 16Mb is on the low end !).

You may want to stop at 7.12.x and wait for 7.15 to come out as stable, it appears there have been some storage optimizations in there.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 15, 2024 11:20 am

It's easy. Just use the built-in upgrade in Winbox. You might have to do it a few times. The first time it will upgrade to the newest 6.x and then do it again and it will go to somewhere around 7.12, and then do it again and it will go to 7.14

IIRC, hitting upgrade in v6 will only go up to latest v6 (depending on channel used it'll be either 6.49.13 or 6.49.15). To go beyond that, one has to change channel to upgrade, at which point it'll go up to 7.12.1 (channel will revert to "stable" automatically after upgrade). And upgrade routerboot again to 7.12.1.

When device is at 6.49.13 (or .15), don't forget to upgrade routerboot (System -> RouterBOARD -> Upgrade) as ancient routerboots may have problems booting ROS v7.

I suggest you to take another path to upgrades though:
  1. make configuration export
    open terminal window, then execute command /export file=anynameyouwish, fetch it off device to your management computer
  2. upgrade to 6.49.13 as described earlier, upgrade routerboot
  3. netinstall the device to 7.12.1
    It's a fragile process so you may struggle to get it done. When doing it, add wireless package, available from extras ZIP archive.
    Also, when doing it, don't select "keep configuration"
  4. using winbox (click MAC address) connect to upgraded device, reset it to factory defaults and proceed from new default config
    Use exported config (step #1; open file in text editor) as reminder about specifics. Specially try to keep firewall settings as much to the defaults ... these changed in past few years and are very sensible now (not so much in the past) so before adding something, study the new philosophy of rules (e.g. they rely on proper interface list management which has to be done manually), don't just blindly copy over the old rules as they likely won't work unaltered.
    After you finish the configuration, upgrade routerboot to latest available (7.12.1).

The point of doing netinstall (versus simple upgrade mentioned in previous posts) is that it does purge old config (which may use up additional storage space and you can't clear it otherwise) and it does upgrade your config to new base line (which is much better than it was in 6.42 times). My own experience is that performance also increased (by how much depends on how screwed the previous configuration was) after netinstalling device (although v7 usually performs slightly to considerably slower than v6 with similar configuration).

And I concur with @holvoetn regarding waiting for 7.15. after installing 7.12.1.

Martinez
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 pm

Hi guys, first thank you so much for all your replies.
Maybe I wrote wrong but I would upgrade factory firmare as attached picture.
Is it possible?

Thank you,

Marco
mikrotik.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kanzler
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 17, 2024 1:18 pm

Just click on the “upgrade” button

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 17, 2024 3:35 pm

Maybe I wrote wrong but I would upgrade factory firmare as attached picture.
Is it possible?

No, the info you marked is immutable. In practice it's used to determine earliest version of firmware that can be installed on a device (yes, it's possible to downgrade firmware).

And same principle applies to RouterOS itself (in System -> Packages ...)

What you can (and should) do is hit the "Upgrade" button, which will bring the "Current Firmware" to version listed under "Upgrade Firmware".

dhoulbrooke
Trainer
Trainer

Sat May 18, 2024 10:32 am

There is a method to upgrade the factory firmware (or backup bootloader) outlined here:

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... bootloader

Do note the warnings that this process is potentially dangerous:
A special package is provided to upgrade the backup RouterBOOT (DANGEROUS).

Martinez
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2024 2:51 pm

Hi to all guys,
thank you indeed for your replies.
I'll try.

Ciao ciao,

Marco