Community discussions

MikroTik App

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Need to connect 2 home networks through the ISP GPON

Thu May 23, 2024 1:47 am

I have this configuration at home:
Incoming optical goes into the ISP GPON modem connected to the ISP TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 router on port 2 on the GPON. Port 3 goes into my MikroTik router that is set up as a bridge/AP without NAT that serves my PC in my room. The TP-Link has NAT enabled, receives IP from 100.121.38.0 range and broadcasts the 192.168.10.0 range. The port 3 on the GPON that goes into the MikroTik broadcasts the 192.168.2.0 network. My PC is connected to the MikroTik, while the TV in the living room is connected to the TP-Link. I want to be able to stream to the TV from my PC, but since theyre not on the same network, its not possible. I dont have access to neither the TP-Link's nor the GPON's admin panel as they are ISP-locked. I can only configure the MikroTik or ask the ISP to make changes to their device configs (not guaranteed that they would agree). I dont want to run new cables or wifi connect the TV to the Mikrotik (since the signal is too weak from my room to the living room).

My friend and ChatGPT suggested either EoIP, inter-VLAN or static routing. Im not sure if any of these are possible without changes to the ISP devices.

Please tell me what I should do to be able to stream from my PC to the TV. Either on my own, and if not, what exactly should I ask the ISP to change for this setup to work?
See pic for reference.

Thanks.

rplant

Re: Need to connect 2 home networks through the ISP GPON

Thu May 23, 2024 5:21 am

Hi,

I thought about this for a while.

It would be easy enough to run 2 VLans through from the hap ax2 to a managed switch or other Mikrotik at the gpon end,
and then another cable from there to the TP-Link (or if that cable is also not possible, yet another managed switch at the TP-Link location.
However while you could then likely connect to your computer by IP address, it would not be visible via advertisement.
You do some multicast bridging, and with a bit of luck get it to work.
It all got too complicated.

An alternative solution, is to put in another AP in the lounge on the .2 network. (It would need to have at least 2 ethernet ports, one connected to the GPON modem, the other to the cable heading to your room.
You likely have an existing wireless router you could use for this.

Then just connect the TV to this devices SSID, when you want to access your computers data.

A possible option to reuse an existing router:
Give it a static ip address in the .2 range
Turn off
- dhcp server
- ipv6
- qos
- Plug all devices into its LAN ports (WAN port disconnected)
Note: ISP provided routers often misbehave (sometimes badly) when not in their preferred routing configuration.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 23, 2024 12:44 pm

The TP-link is an AP or a router? (usually routers have 4 LAN ports, AP often only 1)
If the device has more than 1 (Lan) ethernet port, what happens on the other (LAN/bridge) ports?
Is there a DHCP server on the same 192.168.10.0 network of the wi-fi? Or the network on them is 100.121.38.0? Or something else?

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2024 3:20 pm

Hi,

I thought about this for a while.

It would be easy enough to run 2 VLans through from the hap ax2 to a managed switch or other Mikrotik at the gpon end,
and then another cable from there to the TP-Link (or if that cable is also not possible, yet another managed switch at the TP-Link location.
However while you could then likely connect to your computer by IP address, it would not be visible via advertisement.
You do some multicast bridging, and with a bit of luck get it to work.
It all got too complicated.

An alternative solution, is to put in another AP in the lounge on the .2 network. (It would need to have at least 2 ethernet ports, one connected to the GPON modem, the other to the cable heading to your room.
You likely have an existing wireless router you could use for this.

Then just connect the TV to this devices SSID, when you want to access your computers data.

A possible option to reuse an existing router:
Give it a static ip address in the .2 range
Turn off
- dhcp server
- ipv6
- qos
- Plug all devices into its LAN ports (WAN port disconnected)
Note: ISP provided routers often misbehave (sometimes badly) when not in their preferred routing configuration.
Thanks for the reply. While I do have another MikroTik router Id really like to avoid adding any devices and cable clutter due to space constrains where the GPON is positioned.
Ill try this as the last resort.

What Im more interested in is what I should ask the ISP to change on their devices to make this work. From what I can see with my limited knowledge is they need to bridge the 2 ports on the GPON under a single NAT and DHCP and just set the TP-LINK in AP/bridge mode so its transparent to anything on the other side. Is that correct and will all devices on both sides receive correct IPs and see each other?

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2024 3:26 pm

The TP-link is an AP or a router? (usually routers have 4 LAN ports, AP often only 1)
If the device has more than 1 (Lan) ethernet port, what happens on the other (LAN/bridge) ports?
Is there a DHCP server on the same 192.168.10.0 network of the wi-fi? Or the network on them is 100.121.38.0? Or something else?
Its a router. As for the DHCP server, there should be? How would the TV or other devices get an IP otherwise?

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 24, 2024 6:37 pm

It depends on make/models, but there could be a DHCP server for the wireless and a separate DHCP server for the (4) LAN ports or only one for both.
If the TP-Link is a router (posting the exact model may be useful), which port is used to connect via ethernet to the GPON, the WAN port or one of the 4 LAN ports?
If you connect a DHCP client (let's say a laptop) to one of the LAN ports of the TP-Link router, what happens?
Any of:
1) nothing
2) an IP is assigned in the 100.121.38.0 subnet
3) and IP is assigned in the 192.168.1.0 subnet

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2024 10:38 am

It depends on make/models, but there could be a DHCP server for the wireless and a separate DHCP server for the (4) LAN ports or only one for both.
If the TP-Link is a router (posting the exact model may be useful), which port is used to connect via ethernet to the GPON, the WAN port or one of the 4 LAN ports?
If you connect a DHCP client (let's say a laptop) to one of the LAN ports of the TP-Link router, what happens?
Any of:
1) nothing
2) an IP is assigned in the 100.121.38.0 subnet
3) and IP is assigned in the 192.168.1.0 subnet
Neither, it receives an IP in the 192.168.10.0 (assuming that wasnt a typo in your post).
The TP-Link model is AX10|AX1500 as pictured in op. Its connected to the GPON through the WAN port.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun May 26, 2024 12:39 pm

Yep, typo, sorry, I meant 192.168.10.0, so you have on the LAN port(s) the same subnet as the wireless.

The TP-Link and the GPON are physically near one to the other in the living room?

If you take an el-cheapo unmanaged switch and connect to it:
1) a new ethernet cable to the TP-link LAN port
2) a new ethernet cable to the GPON port #3
3) the ethernet cable coming from the Mikrotik in your bedroom

Then disable on the Mikrotik the DHCP client and assign to the port a static address in the 192.168.2.0 range and one in the 192.168.10.0 range, you should have everything connected/reachable.

There will be two DHCP servers on the network, one on the TP-Link and one on the GPON, but since there will be no DHCP clients they should not be a problem.

If the above works, maybe you can remove the unmanaged switch and connect:
1) the Mikrotik to a LAN port of the TP-Link
2) a new ethernet cable from another LAN port of the TP-Link to the GPON port #3

Is it possible?
Will it work?
It all has to be seen by experiment.

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:48 pm

Yep, typo, sorry, I meant 192.168.10.0, so you have on the LAN port(s) the same subnet as the wireless.

The TP-Link and the GPON are physically near one to the other in the living room?

Then disable on the Mikrotik the DHCP client and assign to the port a static address in the 192.168.2.0 range and one in the 192.168.10.0 range, you should have everything connected/reachable.

There will be two DHCP servers on the network, one on the TP-Link and one on the GPON, but since there will be no DHCP clients they should not be a problem.

2) a new ethernet cable from another LAN port of the TP-Link to the GPON port #3

Is it possible?
Will it work?
Ive called and asked the ISP to config the GPON for DHCP on all ports so both devices should be able to see each other. Lets see if it works.

NecroRAM
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:39 am

Is it possible?
Will it work?
Ive called and asked the ISP to config the GPON for DHCP on all ports so both devices should be able to see each other. Lets see if it works.
Update: they refused and my only option left is returning their TP-Link and installing my own router instead, only then theyll agree to set up a DHCP on the 2nd port of the GPON.