MikroTik App

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Directional Antenna Alginment with Spectrum analyser

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:02 am

Hi,

Is there any way that one can align directional (PTP) link antennas with the help of a spectrum analyser?

The scenario I am thinking of is that one would use the analyser at one side of the link and MAYBE an RBxxx at the other that is putting out power on a pre selected frequency (BTW, can an RB do this? - alignment mode ??). Then, with the best result on side A, one would switch over and try to improve the result with the spectrum analyser at side B.

Any thoughts?

Rgds,
Mark

aaa

Re: Directional Antenna Alginment with Spectrum analyser

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi, yes this is good antenna alignment solution but you need activate wireless card transmit single carrier because with modulated signal you can't do right alignment.

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

My point is can I use an RBxxx to do this? Or is it not possible via any mode setting?
Or do I need another piece of kit to do this?

Rgds,
Mark

ejansson

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:08 pm

using 2 RB and the antenna command will work fine and is WAY cheaper then a spectrum analyzer

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:02 pm

using 2 RB and the antenna command will work fine and is WAY cheaper then a spectrum analyzer
Thanks for the feedback but could you please explain more how to utilise the 'antenna command' for this (do you mean 'alignment mode' - if so, never got that to work :( )? What to do on side A and on side B of the link?

Rgds,
Mark

ejansson

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 am

Yes, sorry that is what I meant. It it needs to be enabled at both ends to work. We simply just program the first end up as an AP so we have a signal to work with when we mount the far so we have not used it very much.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 am

I second this requ3st. I've god WiSpy spectral analizator and it works great for small price. Problem is that I need constant emited signal to make easy measurements.

Now, when Mikrotik has builtin spectral analizator, more prople will have the same problem. It would be great if Mikrotik could have additional option to emit constant or almost constant wireless signal, or just to emit garbage constantly to make measurements easier.

Roy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 am

Hi, yes this is good antenna alignment solution but you need activate wireless card transmit single carrier because with modulated signal you can't do right alignment.
Hi,
Let me know how set single carrier?
I'm using RB433GL

thank you