Community discussions

MikroTik App

netrat
Topic Author

te tunnel and multiple VPLS interfaces

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 pm

If you have a number of core and provider edge routers with multiple customers at each PE is it possible to specify which TE tunnel for an individual VPLS tunnel to traverse over? I'll attach a graphic to better explain my question...

Take for example R1 and R6, each router serves two customers, A and B. Now supposed I create a TE tunnel from R1 to R6 and R6 to R1, both customer's VPLS tunnels are going to traverse over the same TE tunnel. Is it possible to make two TE tunnels between the routers, one for each VPLS tunnel or customer? This would make bandwidth rate limiting much easier. Also it would be useful for separating VoIP traffic. I hope I'm not totally off track here!

And another side question, how are TE tunnels deployed in large scale networks due to the manual nature of configuration. Is there a way to dynamically deploy them, similar to BGP signaled VPLS tunnels?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: te tunnel and multiple VPLS interfaces

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm also very interested in this, We are using BGP based VPLS and by the looks of it for now we will have to create a full mesh system of TE tunnels.

With your question I'm now sure how you'd split it off, perhaps adding a from-address into the TE tunnel should be able to get around it?

Mplsguy
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:56 am

If you have a number of core and provider edge routers with multiple customers at each PE is it possible to specify which TE tunnel for an individual VPLS tunnel to traverse over? I'll attach a graphic to better explain my question...
You can add multiple "loopback" addresses to each router, establish TE tunnels between those and then use different addresses as VPLS remote-peer.
And another side question, how are TE tunnels deployed in large scale networks due to the manual nature of configuration. Is there a way to dynamically deploy them, similar to BGP signaled VPLS tunnels?
Currently TE tunnels must be manually configured.

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Are TE tunnels still manual only? I'm not sure what release was out when you guys had this discussion, but I'm setting this up on 5.1.

If it isn't ready, is it planned?

My ultimate goal is to have dynamically established Ethernet tunnels with reserved and maximum bandwidth among several locations.