Community discussions

MikroTik App

popcorrin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Monitoring OSPF path status, is it possible?

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Subject line pretty much says it all. I'd like to get a notification from the dude if one of my paths is no longer active? Just wondering if it was possible.

rumiclord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Monitoring OSPF path status, is it possible?

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Why not just have the Mikrotik send u an e-mail or text msg ?

popcorrin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:50 am

Why not just have the Mikrotik send u an e-mail or text msg ?
That's what I want, an email or text notification when an OSPF path is no longer active.
I already have the dude set up to notify me when radios or other devices go down but all my devices could be up and an OSPF path could be inactive for other reasons and I won't know it because OSPF will have rerouted the traffic over a redundant link. I'd like to be notified so I could fix the issue.

djsmith
just joined

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 am

It might be a bit clunky but I've set up a Dude probe for each OSPF router. The probe checks the default gateway value (but you could use any route that makes sense). If OSPF decides to use a backup link, the default gateway will change and I'll get an email from The Dude. The probe is an SNMP probe with the following values:

Oid: iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.ip.ipRouteTable.ipRouteEntry.ipRouteNextHop.0.0.0.0
Oid Type: ip address
Comapre Method: == (equal)
IP Address Value: xx.xx.xx.xx (whatever the normal default gateway for the router should be).

rumiclord
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Try this, set up an e-mail account for OSPF either internal to your network or maybe gmail... Use the (system logging) inside the winbox, set it for (route, ospf, info) action=email, then go to tools and setup your e-mail for your Router, give it an smtp server to send through, and the (From) field can be whatever you want such as tower22@mywisp.net. Just think about where your links could go and set all routers that have multiple paths; to e-mail you when this action is triggered by the log. No need to have routers in a stub section of your network e-mail you, but the router it connects to should alert you. Get your router ID's clean because you get an e-mail that reads something like :

Subject: route,ospf,info OSPFv2 neighbor 10.22.1.4 state change from Full to Down.

This works good enough for me now, one day when I get some time I try to make it cleaner looking.

slebrun
just joined

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:48 pm

It'd be awfully nice if Mikrotik supported the standard OSPF MIB.

el berto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 18, 2012 12:06 pm

But Dude already displays if a device is not reachable (the device color turns from green to red).
Graphic display would be better if there would be possible also monitor radio links (if in wireless mode) or cable links connections.