Community discussions

MikroTik App

sx10
Topic Author

VPN advice

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 am

Can I get some advice on VPN connectivity with RouterOS? I'm looking to setup both static site to site connections between routerOS devices and dynamic client connections from Windows machines. I tried going through the site to site ipsec tunnel example on the wiki but was unable to get it working, I've also tried the l2tp server for windows clients but was hoping for less settings to configure on the client. What is working well for you?

Thanks,
Greg

johnz
just joined

Re: VPN advice

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Greg,

From a windows client VPN perspective I have had success with SSTP server. (windows vista, 7 clients only). Refer to http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/SSTP and http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/SSTP for setup.

Someone else will have to provide guidance regarding site-site. Some more information would probably help:

How many sites?
WAN capacity?
What type of equipment are you hosting at the end points?
No. of concurrent windows clients?

Regards, John

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm

We use GRE/IPSec for Site-to-Site as it allows for OSPF with BFD, and it works great.
L2TP/IPSec is best for roaming clients, since its supported on Windows/Android/iToys.
Last edited by tomaskir on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sx10
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:44 pm

My site to site links will be between a CCR at the main location and RB2011s and RB750s at the remote ends over 50/10mb connections. We are replacing some old Sonicwall devices with routerboards.

Client connections will be for around 10 users.