Community discussions

Ehman

Re: 6.5 released!

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:27 pm

YES!!!
And I ask you - stop releasing features (i do not need management Curiosity :lol: ), bug fix errors first, make a very stable product.
+1
+ 100000 :lol:

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 am

YES!!!
And I ask you - stop releasing features (i do not need management Curiosity :lol: ), bug fix errors first, make a very stable product.
I can't agree more!
Either that or have two really seperated streams of development, not the current "we have a beta right before realease and that's it" scheme.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 am

I successfully managed to upgrade several different devices to v. 6.5 from v. 5.25. Some of them did not even had 5.25, so I:

1) put only necessary packages (of v. 5.25 if lower version was in the device) into files by dragging from the folder to winbox
2) pressed system - reboot, confirm.
3) upgraded firmware (routerboard - upgrade, reboot)

Then repeated with v. 6.5 the same steps, upgraded to firmware version 3.10

I did it with non-critical devices to check how it will be working, because I had several times problems to successfully work with older v. 6.x. But v 6.5 seems to work good so far...

No bricking, no problems. After some days of testing and checking that all scripts would work on v 6.5 I am going to upgrade the rest.

And finally, the graph loosing problem is gone. Hooray!

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am

Based on my experience the updates work best, when applied during a clean netinstall. I never had problems following this procedure, only when I updatet a running or configured system itself.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 am

Indeed. Therefore mikrotik always repeats their mantra: If you face any problem after upgrade, do netinstall.
Maybe they should make the common upgrading more robust.

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 am

I suspect it's not the software upgrade which is problematic but more their configuration system which goes haywire.
Many bugs I've experienced without an update could be solved with netinstall...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am

One person in another topic said, that he simply extracted the "all packages" zip file, and uploaded the contents to the router. This would be too much for a simple router model, you don't need "ALL" of the packages. Either use the combined package, or choose specific packages from the ZIP
No answer to your question? How to write posts

nurmia

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:34 am

yeas you are all right.i am agree to your comment.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am

One person in another topic said, that he simply extracted the "all packages" zip file, and uploaded the contents to the router. This would be too much for a simple router model, you don't need "ALL" of the packages. Either use the combined package, or choose specific packages from the ZIP
Really. I also select only those packages that I need. Not all. When I was less experienced with mikrotik, I was glad to see as much menu options as possible, therefore I used to install everything, but since that I do not do it anymore.

nurmia

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 am

hi thank you for your interesting.6.5 is always better then other.

hapi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:18 pm

what is "Hw. Fast Path"? What RouterBoard supports it?

ATROX

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:27 pm

what is "Hw. Fast Path"? What RouterBoard supports it?
Look This (on wiki of mikrotik)
Fast path allows to forward packets without additional processing in the Linux kernel. It improves forwarding speeds significantly.
For fast path to work, interface support and specific configuration conditions are required.

hapi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 pm

this is fast path. I´am asking about hw. fast path!! because it appeared in /ip/setting in v6.5

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:49 pm

it is the same thing. you simply have an option to turn it off. it will turn on by default, if the mentioned conditions are met. however, if for some reason you need it off, there is the option

hapi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 pm

if it is the same, why are the two choices on the menu?

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 pm

it is the same thing. you simply have an option to turn it off. it will turn on by default, if the mentioned conditions are met. however, if for some reason you need it off, there is the option
I think you misunderstood the question, there is a aoption for "Fastpath" and one for "Hw.(Hardware?) fastpath" in the settings. What's the difference between the two?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:27 pm

allow-fast-path: yes
   allow-hw-fast-path: no
It was accidentally added for a device that we don't offer yet. Call it a teaser.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:11 pm

So "allow-hw-fast-path" does nothing now?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:16 pm

yes

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Call it a teaser.
I was "teased" by the CRS as this option showed up a a little bit earlier then 6.5. :-(

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 am

Call it a teaser.
I was "teased" by the CRS as this option showed up a a little bit earlier then 6.5. :-(
I am actually REAL curious about this. I wonder if Mikrotik found another way of increasing performance.

If this is the case, then maybe one can have different levels of "fast path" for these boxes.

Like say there's normal forwarding (process switching), fast path (fast-switching), and then hardware fast path (CEF equivalent). If this is the case then Mikrotik can focus more time and make other things to be fast path compatible (like say VRRP, the firewall/mangle/NAT functionality) and then allow for pure forwarding to be worked on with hardware instead of having more CPU to be involved.

I will still say though, Normis, I wish there was a box that showed what Fast Path handlers are on the interfaces. I thought yalls would include that per interface. Should I put in an enhancement request for that?

onnoossendrijver

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 am

My guess: They are working on a Routerboard based on a chip with hardware acceleration like the Cavium Octeon. That would me really nice :) I hope they do a better job than Ubiquiti with offloading tasks to the hardware.
Linux/network engineer: ITIL, LPI1, CCNA R+S, CCNP R+S, JNCIA, JNCIS-SEC

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 am

Like say there's normal forwarding (process switching), fast path (fast-switching), and then hardware fast path (CEF equivalent).
Just for accuracy, CEF is software fastpath on lower end devices and true hardware TCAM based forwarding on higher end devices.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm

I think hw fast path is for atheros chipsets.

P0intLess
just joined

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Anyhow, I'd like to complain about ssh/key auth procedure. When I'm on ros 5.26, I:
- use a *nix host to create rsa key pair; (btw, why do not integrate such utility into ros?)
- import public/private keys to ros,
- import public key on remote host,
- issue "/sys ssh 1.2.3.4 user=root command=reboot" on ros terminal,
- and volia: it automatically logins via rsa keypair with selected user and executes the command.
Well, the whole idea was to attach a gsm modem to an RB and create a script that could reboot a remote host via ssh, triggered by a specific content in the message. Sad thing on v.5 is the /sys ssh command cannot be executed by a script unless you issue a /sys script run from a terminal directly.

So here is ros v6.4! Thought got to install it aaaaand here we go (an output-file option for ssh tool so the output can be redirected to a file - and the scripting should at last work fine). Installed 6.4 and see another bug - the keys, installed or not, just simply don't work. So executing "/sys ssh ip user command" always throw you a password prompt. Here we go again...

What's about v6.5 release. Changelog indicate "ssh client - fixed public key authentication;".
Well, in my case it was "fixed" to hang up and not to connect to any host. Deleting all keys and issuing even standard "/sys ssh ip" gets nothing on output and just drops back to console by timeout.

What a way to go... *wild applause here* sorry for my bad english, anyway.
Soory if the post is too harsh. deadline of project is tomorrow and my faith in creating something workable is decreased with every second...
Last edited by P0intLess on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm

My guess: They are working on a Routerboard based on a chip with hardware acceleration like the Cavium Octeon. That would me really nice :) I hope they do a better job than Ubiquiti with offloading tasks to the hardware.
Actually ubnt did a nice job on it, at least by now. There were some problems early on.

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Actually ubnt did a nice job on it, at least by now. There were some problems early on.
Uh oh... I think we now know what the next ROS version's complaints are going to be about.
PEAR2_Net_RouterOS(1.0.0b6) - My API client in PHP
(Rate my posts? If you want... no pressure...)

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Can't complain either. IPv4 and IPv6 forwarding including statefull ACLs work quite well with hardware offloading. And that's about 100% more offloading functionality as any MT product offers by now. As I said earlier, I really would like ROS with hardware offloading(and more QA :-D ).

armandfumal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 pm

What's new in 6.6 (2013-Nov-06 17:09):

*) winbox - fixed problem where all previous session opened windows were read only;
*) certificate - no more 'reset-certificate-cache' and 'decrypt' commands,
private keys can be decrypted only on 'import', use 'decrypt' before upgrade if needed;
*) fixed arp-reply only with more than one ip address on interface;
*) fixed RB400 not to reboot by watchdog during micro-sd format;
*) web proxy - fix SPDY server push handling;
*) certificate - merged '/certificate ca issued', '/certificate scep client' and
'/certificate templates' into '/certificate';
*) console - :foreach command can iterate over keys and values in an array,
by specifying two counter variables, e.g.:
:foreach k,v in=[/system clock get] do={:put "$k is $v"};
*) added support for new Intel 10Gb ethernet cards (82599);
*) certificates - fixed certificate import;
*) wireless - fixed crash when dfs was enabled on pre-n wireless cards;
*) fixed port flapping on CCR;
Armand Fumal

Semir

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 pm

this lame absolutely non production platform drives me crazy (and not only me)

restarts at least once a day, without obvious reasons while was on 6.2. now on 6.5 it restarting couple times per day.
Hi,
stable if you set cpu freq. to 600MHz.
For me it seems to be a HW bug. (Not enough cooling?)
Mikrotik told me to return. (Same situation here: vital part of my network.) No replacement part.
Bought a brocade device, not sure if I want my CCR back afterwards XD

Semir

lukeaw
just joined

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 pm

What's about v6.5 release. Changelog indicate "ssh client - fixed public key authentication;".
Well, in my case it was "fixed" to hang up and not to connect to any host. Deleting all keys and issuing even standard "/sys ssh ip" gets nothing on output and just drops back to console by timeout.
I just upgraded from 6.2 to 6.6 and I also have this problem. I can SSH to localhost with success but nowhere else, not even IP addresses on the same subnet as the router, as it just times out. Did you manage to find out what was wrong?

lukeaw
just joined

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Just adding to my previous comment - I believe this may be a bug that came about in RouterOS 6.5.

After an evening of hacking around and sifting through debug logs it seems that the SSH client in RouterOS 6.5 (and 6.6) can't connect to SSH servers that offer keyboard interactive authentication, whereas password authentication seems to work fine. I tested this by setting ChallengeResponseAuthentication no (which was previously yes) in my OpenSSH server's sshd_config file, after which I was able to connect to it from RouterOS. I downgraded to 6.4 and this behaviour was not present, in that I could connect to SSH servers with my usual keyboard interactive authentication method.

For people who only use public key or password authentication this can be temporarily worked around by making the appropriate changes to your various SSH servers' config files, but presents a problem for those like myself using challenge-response mechanisms such as OTP/RSA security tokens.

Tested on MikroTik RouterBOARDs RB450G and RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN, connecting to various recent versions of OpenSSH server.

Stillhard
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:41 am

Semir
Send it to me please :)

Semir

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:22 am

Semir
Send it to me please :)

:D

Actually, I really like the CCR when it works :)

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Hello again folks!

I got feedback from MT regarding my ticket for port that suddenly stopped to work, a new firmware to upload into it, yet to be done. And disable snmp and lcd at the moment, also yet to be done.

Hope it works meanwhile new releases.

Disabling SNMP is a sad thing, we had to disable snmp on all newer gears or they lock up, that means SXT, Sextant in our environment. It stopped working back in 5.x. If not disabling snmp, the devices just suddenly die due to the dude is doing some funny snmp stuff. We really needed snmp...... but the dude and snmp is another topic not in to this tread!
This was just something to try, not to leave disabled. It would help us understand some things about the issue. If you can, turn off the LCD and SNMP, and then turn back on, and report if anything changed while disabled.
Update done, LCD disabled, SNMP disabled, lets see now, all is still normal after some hours, we will see in a month what happens.
Hey Steen. Have you had any further lock ups since disabling SNMP? We are seeing similar issues on RB1100AHx2's which we monitor via the Dude. SNMP is used to monitor CPU, UPS status and for bandwidth charts.

leonix

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:05 am

Done some testing. It is still the same. TCP-Speed suffers over multiple nv2-Links. It must be something queueing related. May be reordering of packets?? While doing tcp-Bandwidth test the latency does not increase much. So there is room to send more packets. I see speeds of 16 Mbit where I can see 36MBit UDP. And every further hop the difference increases.
It is possible to increase TCP performance over NV2 using TDMA period of 1ms and by reducing the MCS-settings; see my post here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 74#p413474

Leo.