Community discussions

MikroTik App

Aaelyen
just joined
Topic Author

RBmAP2n - system reset removes files???

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 pm

MikroTik,

I recently learned that you guys decided to do something differently with the RBmAP2n devices that has me baffled to say the least. In every version of ROS and every other piece of hardware you guys manufacture, and even on x86 boxes that you guys don't, a system reset does not remove the files that reside locally on the device. However, it seems that on the RBmAP2n, you guys decided to do it differently.

My first question is.... why?

My second is.... what were you thinking?

My third is.... was this really intended?

My fourth is.... is there any way to preserve the files on the device through a system reset?

We developed a script that relies on the device to retain files through a system reset. We only had to develop this script because the setting "enable jumper reset" doesn't really do anything on these devices.

I love MikroTik a lot, but random oddities like this are a nightmare and result in problems that could be prevented if changes like this were documented somewhere.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Re: RBmAP2n - system reset removes files???

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Read the "Warning" section here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:System/File

So on devices with "flash" directory, put files you want to persist over a reboot/reset in that directory.

Aaelyen
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RBmAP2n - system reset removes files???

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Thank you so much. I'm not entirely sure how I have missed that all these years, although this is the first device I've ever seen with a flash folder in its file system. Either way, this was very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to post. have a great day!