Community discussions

MikroTik App

longerCZ
just joined
Topic Author

RB941-2nD discontinued...WHY?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Hello,
I am very disappointed with new version of MikroTik hAP lite "tower case". Was it really necessary to discontinue realy competetive product and replace it by something much worse? I want to know why did you have to do this change? Why do we need router with asymetric case without any chance to mount it to the wall or to put it on the top of other horizontaly placed devices? Does MikroTik really want ISPs to buy TP-LINK devices instead? If there is someone who likes this change, please let me know about it.
Thanks.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB941-2nD discontinued...WHY?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Hello,
I am very disappointed with new version of MikroTik hAP lite "tower case". Was it really necessary to discontinue realy competetive product and replace it by something much worse? I want to know why did you have to do this change? Why do we need router with asymetric case without any chance to mount it to the wall or to put it on the top of other horizontaly placed devices? Does MikroTik really want ISPs to buy TP-LINK devices instead? If there is someone who likes this change, please let me know about it.
Thanks.

get normal hAP no lite version :lol:

i know its more expensive

longerCZ
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:01 am

Hello,
Thanks.

get normal hAP no lite version :lol:

i know its more expensive
Yes, this solution is OK while the previous hAP lite never existed, but not acceptable when they start to manufature something cheap and reliable and few months later just repack it to totally useless case...

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:16 am

maybe some people (not you) was selling the hAP lite at higher price than expected like hAP or another models

then

Mikrotik decided change the design in some way to differentiate it

i think the new design improves the antenna location and its well for home or soho use, and thats the intended use of the product

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:38 am

Hello,
Thanks.
What is worse specifically? You dislike the look of the new device? It is difficult to make a case that everone loves, I hope you will like our other new products.

The standing case improves the wireless coverage because the user will place it in an open space, rather than under a desk at the wall. If you need something wall mountable, we have other products already available and also coming soon.

longerCZ
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Hello,
Thanks.
What is worse specifically? You dislike the look of the new device? It is difficult to make a case that everone loves, I hope you will like our other new products.

The standing case improves the wireless coverage because the user will place it in an open space, rather than under a desk at the wall. If you need something wall mountable, we have other products already available and also coming soon.
[*] looks much cheaper then before...everyone tries to look like Apple but only Apple can do this....blue side, really?
[*] not wall mountable - every second customer of our company wants us to mount router on the wall or on the ceiling, others wants to put it next to stuff like dvd players and so on, previous design was really useful for all types of placements, this one can only stand, so it's not as universal like old design
[*] not stable while standing with cables plugged in - if you have super light router made of plastic and you connect cable to it's back, it just doesn't stand in the place, cable pulls it down to the ground...I don't want to talk about 4 connected cables...it just simply ends with router in a cable mess behind a closet so it really doesn't improve signal coverage at all

I know you offer other hAPs with classic case but they are like twice as much expensive. We were happy to be able to offer smart Mikrotik powered device to our customers in a price-level of basic TP-LINKs (with wallmount) but with this device we gonna have to do the step back and buy TP-LINK again. I guess you can consider manufacturing of both models, customers can decide which one is better...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Exactly. I second this.

metricmoose

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:24 am

It's significantly less flexible than the old design. RouterOS is very flexible, the hardware it runs on should be too.
Personally, I have two with the new style. While I don't mind how it looks, I actually think it looks pretty nice. But it's not as functional as the previous one would have been.

One of my hAP Lites is using WDS to extend my home WiFi to the garage. It's on a shelf now, but it would have been tidier if I could have ceiling or wall mounted it. The second one is always in my laptop bag, I power it with a USB power bank when I'm working at tower sites. The wide base takes up quite a lot of space and limits its use as a travel router. I know you have the mAP, though having four ports, more powerful wifi and being a fraction of the price makes it a lot more attractive for that purpose.

It would be great to use as a very cheap CAPsMAN device if we could ceiling or wall mount it. The current style limits placement to inside a drop ceiling or on desks.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:23 am

its more matter of taste, but like OP i like mainline HAP and HEX cases, than "TC" case more.
i guess it would be nice to had option to order cases too(for HAP, HEX its unusually listed in most resellers price-lists)
and since original MikroTik cases is good enough(and good-looking enough, IMHO), why not ?
as for "TC" i know some ISP that prefer that exerior for their CPE, but most of them - not so much and stick with "generic bricks" more, but not for aestetical, but practical reasons, usually, cuz they more versatile.

longerCZ
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 pm

its more matter of taste, but like OP i like mainline HAP and HEX cases, than "TC" case more.
i guess it would be nice to had option to order cases too(for HAP, HEX its unusually listed in most resellers price-lists)
and since original MikroTik cases is good enough(and good-looking enough, IMHO), why not ?
as for "TC" i know some ISP that prefer that exerior for their CPE, but most of them - not so much and stick with "generic bricks" more, but not for aestetical, but practical reasons, usually, cuz they more versatile.
Yes, I don't think MikroTik can ever become router suplier for common home users because of it's complicated configuration. Home made user needs idiot-proof simple web interface. I think that MikroTik should target case design primarily to integrators like ISPs and IT guys...so giving us two options of case could solve the issue.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Yes, I don't think MikroTik can ever become router suplier for common home users because of it's complicated configuration. Home made user needs idiot-proof simple web interface. I think that MikroTik should target case design primarily to integrators like ISPs and IT guys...so giving us two options of case could solve the issue.
Or make it horizontal, but include a removable (instead of fixed) stand for vertical placing. Actually I just bought one for my parents' house. I love the design but I was also concerned about the practicality. Anyway, the cost was unbeatable for a device that runs RouterOS...

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 am

I think that both the old desktop/wallmount and tc versions should be available and let customers choose the right one for their needs.

I also confirm that the tc version, with 4 ethernet cables connected, is not stable at all.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:55 am

i don't think there was "idiot-proof" (as you call it)rotuer brands and most easier to configure, routers - also require some experience/knowledge and usually done by other ppl in such cases.
so bottom line: i can't and shouldn't speak for all people, but for people i know atelast there in Russia - Mikrotik is quite popular Home router brand. which imply that you Wrong.

longerCZ
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:17 am

i don't think there was "idiot-proof" (as you call it)rotuer brands and most easier to configure, routers - also require some experience/knowledge and usually done by other ppl in such cases.
so bottom line: i can't and shouldn't speak for all people, but for people i know atelast there in Russia - Mikrotik is quite popular Home router brand. which imply that you Wrong.
I mean that other home routers offer things to simplify setting of them like "helper application" which doesn't require any knowledge to get to settings and so on. Or apple routers with easy configuration directly from built-in app in iOS. MikroTik doesn't have those so i think that common users can consider it less user friendly than well-known brands like ASUS and so... for me MikroTik is the best choice, I just hate TC case. :)

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I mean that other home routers offer things to simplify setting of them like "helper application" which doesn't require any knowledge to get to settings and so on. Or apple routers with easy configuration directly from built-in app in iOS. MikroTik doesn't have those so i think that common users can consider it less user friendly than well-known brands like ASUS and so... for me MikroTik is the best choice, I just hate TC case. :)
i perfectly understand you point, so there is no need for repeating. i just stating thats incorrect and despite obvious vendors efforts in doing so, its NOT ENOUGH to make their products "newbie/idiot-proof" anyway.
yeah, "apple"-branded stuff well-known for dumbness/locked-down approach, but all routers in fact require atleast bits on understanding of.
some include cute and moderately-helpful Wizards in their firmware. both in WebUI and standalone tools(Zuxell tools even mimic winbox in few things, which is reasonable :). but its help(not always, not for anyone)only for bootstrap and to Properly configure router(whatever brand or model you use/prefer)you had to Know WHAT you are doing, exactly.
and thats why i countered you (in absence of other arguments)"i think" by live example of nearly hungered people i know, that used MikroTik in home networking, social networks, charity orgs, schools, etc and quite happy with such products as i see.
personally i wouldn't recommend "to anyone" Mikrotik but for people with even moderately-working brain(even without IT or networking background, experience)they working Just Fine or those who had such friends among/near them(family members, co-worker, decent service companies, whoever/whatever).

metricmoose

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:51 am

I was scrolling through Routerboard.com today and noticed the "hAP lite classic". By the looks of things, they've brought the "old" casing back! Thanks Mikrotik! It's great to have the option of something cheap and flat that will securely attach to a wall or the inside of a enclosure. Once these reach our local distributor, I will definitely throw a few into the next order.

sass
just joined

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:50 pm

I was scrolling through Routerboard.com today and noticed the "hAP lite classic". By the looks of things, they've brought the "old" casing back! Thanks Mikrotik! It's great to have the option of something cheap and flat that will securely attach to a wall or the inside of a enclosure. Once these reach our local distributor, I will definitely throw a few into the next order.
Recently for me it was required to buy low powered and cheap router, decided to give a try for MT. When I investigated MT low prices product I also were amazed why do they stopped to produce Hap lite in "old" case. Had to buy tower one.
I think that both the old desktop/wallmount and tc versions should be available and let customers choose the right one for their needs.
Ful agree! +1 to MT for listening to customers and returning of "old" casing!

Kola

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:55 pm

IMHO Mikrotik rushly release hAP lite for too low price and it started to compete with other RBs. Therefor the guys had to reduce its functionality (or higher the price). And they did it in such an elegant way. :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:01 pm

IMHO Mikrotik rushly release hAP lite for too low price and it started to compete with other RBs. Therefor the guys had to reduce its functionality (or higher the price). And they did it in such an elegant way. :)
functionality has not been reduced. hAP lite and hAP lite "Tower" case are identical. Just one stands vertically.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:30 pm

functionality has not been reduced. hAP lite and hAP lite "Tower" case are identical.
Not reduced? hAP lite (old) is possible mounting on wall. It have mounting holes...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:32 pm

functionality has not been reduced. hAP lite and hAP lite "Tower" case are identical.
Not reduced? hAP lite (old) is possible mounting on wall. It have mounting holes...
Hmmm, ok, I agree.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:42 pm

The easiest approach is to provide a removable base for a classic format.

I never use the ones I get with external drives.