Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mett
Topic Author

One ethernet-port with a second logical device?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello,

I'd like to implement the following setup:

One ethernet port of a router (eth1) is connected to the ethernet port of a docsis modem. eth1 gets its public IP address through DHCP from the modem. So I guess that's no big deal.

But now, I'd like to get a second public IP address from the modem. Normally you can solve it like this:
Zeichnung2.jpg
It works when attaching a switch to the modem (because the modem just got one port) und connecting two ethernet-ports of the router to this switch. Each ethernet port gets its own public IP address. It works that way, I checked that out.

Now, I'd like to save this switch between modem and router.

Is it possible, to assign a virtual ethernet-device in routerOS to a physical port? Just like assigning a second device at Linux (e.g. eth0 and eth0:1)? In the end it should looks like that:
Netzstruktur - überarbeitet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
forum.mikrotik@honig.do0.de

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: One ethernet-port with a second logical device?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:41 pm

I saw where someone reported that they were able to do this by (mis)using a VRRP interface as the second, third, etc additional interface.

It's admittedly a hack by the person who posted it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, yaknow?
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

Mett
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I know which post you mean.

Is it somehow possible to bridge physical eth1 and eth2 together and using eth2 through eth1?
forum.mikrotik@honig.do0.de

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Brought to you by the same misuser... :)
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=FE:00:12:34:45:67 auto-mac=no name=xxxx protocol-mode=none
/interface bridge port
add bridge=xxxx interface=test1
/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=0 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=test1 
add default-route-distance=0 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=xxxx
ip address print detail 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 2 D address=192.168.33.254/24 network=192.168.33.0 interface=test1 actual-interface=xxxx 
 3 D address=192.168.33.253/24 network=192.168.33.0 interface=xxxx actual-interface=xxxx
It's just a very quick test, I did not check for possible side effects or problems. CHR 6.35rc29.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.